PDA

View Full Version : Moose 5-02D... Anyone want to help out

killerforreal
09-05-2012, 09:03 AM
A friend of mine called me and told me to write these numbers down. They were the numbers for 2012 Moose LEH. Myself (never shot a moose), my brother (never shot anything), my cousin (shot some moose) and our 65 year old buddy (killed everything) are headed up to Quesnel area for 2 moose in 5-02D Oct 15-30. None of us have ever hunted in that area. I have been looking hard on this site and found a few tips like Maud lake area. If anyone wants to give us a bit of a heads up on where to get started it whould be much appreciated. We will be wall tenting and have quads.

Thanks

KB90
09-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Having lived in Quesnel and many friends and family having the draw.

I would camp at Nyland Lake, and hunt the Sunberg Road and surounding area.

Good Luck!

Jagermeister
09-05-2012, 10:12 AM
That is a good area to draw and moreover, the time of the draw is the one of the best.
Normally, moose numbers are low as there are only resident moose. That is until late season, when the snow hits the Cariboo Mountains and drives the bulls down to the lower lands.
The best time for this zone IMO is the beginning of November, but the latter part of October is also good.
I would concentrate more over in the Swift River area than Maud Lake as I have had more success there. Victoria Creek is also good. Last year, wolf predation was a problem, but hunters were getting their game.
To access the Swift River area, go 8km past Cottonwood House to Coldspring House and turn right on the Swift River road. The main will take you back just to the east of Cariboo Mountain and it continues to the south for a distance. The "A" road will take you back to the south-east and travels along the Swift River before terminating. You can access the "D" from the "A" and this will take you back to Sovereign Lakes. "D" from the intersection with "A" is IMO the best place in this area. Sovereign Lakes lie just over the hill to the east and I would not travel more than 4km from the intersection. Last time I was there, the hill on "D" was nasty so don't proceed down, especially in the snow although there is a recent logged area to the east of is that accessed from the top of the road. There is quite likely a change since I was there but it still is a good area.

22savage
09-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Talk to srupp on this form ,he will point you in the right direction

srupp
09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
HMMMMM exellent area to draw moose..and PERFECT TIMING..lucky $E^$^#%^#&*^..lol

love to help...send me a PM with your ph # the quads are NICE...I am working then off for some R&R and then more surgery...I am sure I can help with some great little hidey locations for bulls...helped get5 bulls out of there in 3 years one was even for me..lol

no chance one of you lives near Williams Lkae ?? i HAVE MAPS ,GPS LOCATIONS, RDS,LITTLE LAKES,TRAILS, LLOK OUT SPOTS..ETC ETC EVEN LOAN YOU...........MY MAPS..ATV TRAILER TO PULL MOOSE OUT IF YA NEED..

yOU CAN TAKE Susan my wife along to cook...JOKING ON THE LAST OPNE..HA HA Im not that helpful..

contact me the sooner the better...

cheers

Steven

ravensfoot
09-10-2012, 08:43 PM
SRupp is the wise one. He will save you hours of work. Make sure you write everything down, lots to take in.
I was up there last year at Maud, unfortunately there were a lot of bulls taken earlier and there was nothing left for us but heads and legs. 10 days solid hunting and didn't even see one cow moose. Limited deer too. Maud and Nyland had quite a bit of pressure. If I were to go again I would try that area Jager mentioned. Maybe less Pressure. If you decide to go to Nyland, or Maud, I think Maud is the nicer camp. Beautiful Lake too. Logging roads quite busy with Work Trucks too.

Timbow
09-11-2012, 05:15 AM
That is a good area to draw and moreover, the time of the draw is the one of the best.
Normally, moose numbers are low as there are only resident moose. That is until late season, when the snow hits the Cariboo Mountains and drives the bulls down to the lower lands.
The best time for this zone IMO is the beginning of November, but the latter part of October is also good.
I would concentrate more over in the Swift River area than Maud Lake as I have had more success there. Victoria Creek is also good. Last year, wolf predation was a problem, but hunters were getting their game.
To access the Swift River area, go 8km past Cottonwood House to Coldspring House and turn right on the Swift River road. The main will take you back just to the east of Cariboo Mountain and it continues to the south for a distance. The "A" road will take you back to the south-east and travels along the Swift River before terminating. You can access the "D" from the "A" and this will take you back to Sovereign Lakes. "D" from the intersection with "A" is IMO the best place in this area. Sovereign Lakes lie just over the hill to the east and I would not travel more than 4km from the intersection. Last time I was there, the hill on "D" was nasty so don't proceed down, especially in the snow although there is a recent logged area to the east of is that accessed from the top of the road. There is quite likely a change since I was there but it still is a good area.

Crossing the Cottonwood is region 5-15.

killerforreal
10-29-2012, 12:01 AM
I would like to say thanks to everyone that helped out. We were able to knock down a good bull and a dink buck. We all had a great time and have some good eats for the winter. Why do they make posting pictures so diffucult?

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u680/killerforreal/IMG_0276.jpg

killerforreal
10-29-2012, 12:02 AM
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u680/killerforreal/IMG_0269.jpg

buckshot
10-29-2012, 05:20 AM
Congratulations! Awesome animal.

doubled
10-29-2012, 05:36 AM
Nice bull, gald to see the tag used up. Well done boys.

junkyard_g
10-29-2012, 11:16 PM
nice work. beauty bull for that area.

moose2
10-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Congrats on the moose he looks good, here you go
Mike

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u680/killerforreal/IMG_0269.jpg

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u680/killerforreal/IMG_0276.jpg

JoshCampbell
10-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Great bull

Jagermeister
11-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Crossing the Cottonwood is region 5-15.You are absolutely right. Good thing they didn't take my advice. Don't know what I was thinking.

srupp
11-02-2012, 07:49 AM
AWESOME RESULTS..WELL DONE. In the last few days the deer from the east have been using the migration route in that area..headedd west..so far just the does and fawns and some small bucks the big boys will be soon...

actually a high # of bulls from D...and several tags that just were wasted never even used...

congrats on making EXELLLENT use of the tags you drew

cheers
Srupp

jdmck
11-03-2012, 10:57 AM
We took a 5 point bull and a 2 point buck in D the 3rd week of Oct but we hunted on the Morehead side and nack towards Mcleese

ravensfoot
11-05-2012, 01:29 PM
WAY TO GO!!!
Congrats