PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunting info request for GMA 7-16A - west of Parsnip River

GarryG
09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
:?:My buddy got a draw for this area, which is along the west side of the Parsnip River, just south of the Mackenzie turnoff on along Hwy 97 North.
Neither of us has been there, but we will be next month.
We would appreciate any current info on that area and it's moose population, or any other usefull info for there....thanks

magnumjeff
09-05-2012, 01:46 AM
this area is getting grown in no active logging try out past mcloed lake

eaglesnester
09-05-2012, 03:33 AM
for general lay of the land info go to google earth, this will help answer some of your questions

open-sights
09-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Had that draw a few years ago, great hunting area, I was in for 10 days, just before the rut fired up. I did find many moose and a crazy amount of good blue blacks bears. If I was to sum up what i learned it would be, 1)wolves were low on the river, equals few animals of any type, 2) Higher up had some great moose and elk around but few and far between. 3) Powerline was where the action was, I would suggest to still hunt from high ground on the powerlines - 4) both routes in were tough the south road has better access than the north but there is a steep ravine at klm 5 or so that crosses a small creek, if you are towing a trailer you will drag hitch and depending on length of the trailer, back end. the north access where the hyw crosses the Parsnip has a major washout and the road had become the river during freshet. someone may have fixed it up a little since but 4 years ago the access would have been impossible with a trailer - even getting in a full sized p/u by itself was a challenge that left quarter panels scarred and dinged up. Feel free to contact me as I can help with roads and such once I get home to look at maps.

Gr8 white hunter
09-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Was there last year and I would'nt go back there .

dakoda62
09-05-2012, 12:01 PM
In there last year for early draw. There are some moose there however access is severely limited with washouts and such, some bridges have been removed

Schmaus
09-05-2012, 04:49 PM
There is a reason the odds are good in there :) There are lots of moose, but you'll have to work for them. The logging has def picked up in that area the last two years

GarryG
09-10-2012, 03:38 PM
I am back and have just reviewed all of your replies,and I want to thank each of you for your info.
It has spurred me on to get some further info from Canfor at Bear Lake, and the BC Forest Service on the current road conditions into there.
It sounds like it could be tough getting into some parts of that area, as well as finding many of the roads rough or grown in.
However, we are going to give it a go!

Thanks again

GarryG
09-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Open Sights

That give us some good insight, and ideas where to start...will definitely check out the Powerline ROW's.
BC FS tells me there are two bridges washed out along the Parsnip FSR, so one cannot do a loop thru from that road to the Hodda Lake road.
Thanks for the detailed info.

jml11
09-10-2012, 04:24 PM
The Parsnip FSR and the upper Hodda are washed out/deactivated which prevents you from accessing the northern portion of the MU expect maybe with a quad if you come in from the south or drive over on the power lines. There is still some good hunting opportunties along the Hodda, some new logging lower down but most is before you get into 7-16A (the first few kms are in 7-16C). The Tacheeda Lakes area is also in 7-16A so consider this area as well.

As for moose populations, all the PG areas are down 50-60% over the past 5 years with the Parsnip areas being one of the more depressed MUs (by design) due to longer cow and calf seasons the past few years.

GarryG
09-10-2012, 09:25 PM
jml11

Sounds like you also know the area well.
We will be going in the Hodda Lake road part of 7-16A as well as the Tacheeda area, based on what you and others have mentioned.
Thanks for the tips.