PDA

View Full Version : My 2012 Hunting Log

Buckmeister
09-04-2012, 04:54 PM
So to kick the year off right, my son and I invited a friend of his to go hunting when youth season opened. This kid is 14 and has never hunted. Unfortunatley, he injured his foot the day before the 1st, so he is at home healing up. Hopefully we can take him out for his first buck soon!

As fate would have it, my son and I have gone hunting 3 times this year already, and each time we had good chances on small bucks. We are looking for something bigger so we let them walk, but they would have been perfect for the first timer. Heck, we almost stepped on the first buck before we saw him. Then the second almost stepped on us when we were sitting in a field. I love seeing the look on the deers face when they find out how close we are to them!

I do have a black bear tag this year. On the first day I saw a small one but couldn't get a shot. Then about an hour later, we see a big one from our living room, so up the hill I went again. Alas, I couldn't get close to him. Ended up chasing a smaller one, but no luck. maybe soon.

fearnodeer
09-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Good luck on finding the one you want.

Buckmeister
09-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Been out a few more times now. Only seeing does or micro bears. Maybe tomorrow morning will provide something. Was out this evening, it was good to see quite a few junior hunters out there.

Buckmeister
09-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Sept 10th....Opening day for G.O.S.!!!

Bears DO come out before 10:00am!!!! This morning at 7:30am it was raining and blustery. I was in the shop working on a car part when my son came out to tell me there was a bear in the yard. By the time I got into the house and grabbed my gun the bear was heading up the hill. I had my crosshairs on him a few times but I didn't squeeze the trigger.

He was bigger than the micro bears I have been seeing, but not near the size of the big one I chased a number of days back. I'd call him fair-to-middle'n in size. My guess is the not so nice weather got him up early.

Was pretty happy on Saturday morning to see 5 whitetails in our field! Up till now it has been mule deer country and the whiteys were just a rumor. There were 2 does, 1 fawn, a spiker buck, and the 5th went away before I could get an ID. I'm hoping this is a sign that some big bucks will show up too!!