PDA

View Full Version : NWT Sheep Guiding Season - Picture Heavy!!

kootenayelkslayer
09-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Another sheep season in the NWT is done for me. It was a very busy summer, not much down time, and lots of days spent on the mountains. I had to leave early at the end of the August for school, but was still able to sneak in 7 sheep and 4 caribou kills.

The first hunt of the year was an archery hunt that was one for the books. I saw some things on this hunt that I’ll likely never see again. The first day had us on top of rams at 70 yards, but just slightly out of our hunters range (I was working with another guide on this hunt as well). The second day we were approaching some rams on a slope with small, stunted trees, when a brutal thunderstorm rolled in on us. We hunkered down under some trees to take shelter, knowing the rams were close by. As the storm pounded us and lightning struck all around, the rams had apparently spooked from the lightning and ran right into us at less than 10 yards, but weren’t in a position to make anything happen. We had another chance at 50 yards but couldn’t make it work before a very close lightning strike sent the rams running for cover. On day three, we got on rams again, and let the hunter do the last stretch of the stalk. We saw him come to full draw and then release. As the ram then came into sight we discovered he had shot the ram right in the horn, and we watched the sheep disappear over the skyline, arrow still sticking straight out of the sheep’s horn… I thought that was a once in a lifetime sight. Day four had us 40 yards from another ram, but the hunter wasn’t comfortable with the shot apparently. Day five, the hunter and I stalked in on another ram in some cliffs. At 40 yards, my hunter shot, but was too low. I passed him another arrow and he shot low again, but there was a loud crack at impact this time. The ram took off. We followed it around the cliffs and found it standing looking at me at 50 yards. I told my hunter what to do, and he launched an arrow that made a very loud ‘smack’ on impact… He had shot it right in the front of the horn again. We watched the ram take off with the arrow sticking out of his horn, but found out that the second shot had hit low in the front leg. Long story short, we were able to get a mortal arrow into the ram in the valley bottom 7 hours later. On a side note, the first ram that the hunter had shot in the horn was killed by another of our hunters many miles away, a month and a half later!

Here's the 9 year old archery ram, look closely at the top of the horn:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5009Copy.jpg

Myself and the other guide with the ram:

After that hunt, I accompanied my friend and fellow guide on a hunt for a ram of his own. It was his 5th year working for this outfit, therefore the boss let him get a ram of his own. We didn’t have much time, but were able to find a good ‘guide ram’, 10 years old and not too big!

Scott with his 10 year old 'guide ram':
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5025Copy.jpg

The second hunt of the year was with a fellow I had guided previously. He needed a ram that would score over 160” to make the 700 Club with his Slam. We had our work cut out for us. We saw a great ram early in the hunt that would have made the mark, if he hadn’t broomed about 5 inches on his right side.

Here's a pic of the long, heavy, old, but broomed ram we passed up:http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5057Copy.jpg

ianwuzhere
09-03-2012, 08:52 PM
hehe- head hunting with a bow-sounds like fun ;) ;).
good pix- beautiful sheep!

kootenayelkslayer
09-03-2012, 08:56 PM
We hunted hard for several days and ended up finding a giant ram that was living in some of the toughest country I’ve ever hunted. After a long, hard day on day 5, we set up and got 2 shots off at the giant ram during a down pour just before midnight, but both shots at 360 yards were just inches low. We guessed that ram to be 43-44” long, and likely a ‘book’ ram.

Here are a couple pics of the big ram. They likely don't do him justice, but he is probably the largest ram I've seen roaming the mountains. A heart-breaker to miss, that's for sure:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5076Copy.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5077Copy.jpg

We were unable to find that ram again, but on the 8th of the hunt came across another great ram, and were able to harvest it. He was 41 ½ long, scoring just over 166 B&C.

Here's a look at the great ram, a few hours before the shot:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5083Copy.jpg

Here's the great ram on the ground:

kootenayelkslayer
09-03-2012, 09:01 PM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5109Copy.jpg

The 3rd hunt of the season was with a father and son. The son was a tough young man, a couple of years younger than me, battling cystic fibrosis. He did really well in the mountains. His dad took a bad fall on day two, hurting his knee. I knew we had to find a ram quickly in order for the dad to witness the kill, and we did just that, finding a pretty ram to take later that day.

Here's a pic of the 37" ram:

We then spent some time caribou hunting, and found a great bull to kill on day 7 of the hunt. Here's his bull:

Upon returning to camp on day 8, the boss informed me that it was my turn to go after a ram of my own (as it was also my 5th year working at this particular outfit)…but I think I’ll save that story for a thread of its own.
Here's a little teaser:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5191Copy.jpg

The Dude
09-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Great pics and stories so far!
Sounds like that first bowhunter should sell his bow and take up hand grenades or rocket launchers.
Some folks shouldn't be bow-hunting.

Nice Boo too! What a piggie!

kootenayelkslayer
09-03-2012, 09:10 PM
The 4th hunt of the year was a sheep/caribou/goat combo. Early on in the hunt we found an old, heavy ram to harvest. As it turned out, it was what we call a ‘dreaded dwarf ram’. The body on it was absolutely tiny, along with the face and head…so there was a slight bit of ground shrinkage on the horns as well. Regardless, it was an old ram in rough shape with no teeth left, so it wasn’t a bad ram to take.

Here's the 12 year old dwarf ram:

We then met up with my hunter’s buddy and his guide and went caribou hunting together. We got a double header on the first day on two decent bulls:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5223Copy.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5230Copy.jpg

The next few days were spent goat hunting in the farthest reaches south in the territory, but we unable to locate any mature billies.
Now we were nearing the end of August, and I was counting down the days to go home, thinking I was done for the season. But at the last minute we had a cancellation hunter come in, and he and I only had 2 ½ days to get a sheep and a caribou before we both had to return home. We found a ram in some absolutely miserable weather on day one:

On day 2 ½, we were able to find a decent caribou to take:

Then it was time to go home. Now I’m back and ready to get out for some elk hunting…and can anyone point me in the direction of some good Stone sheep threads from the summer???

chris26262
09-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Great job! Great pic s and stories. Thanx for that!

lorneparker1
09-03-2012, 09:15 PM
I was actually just thinking about you a few days ago. (not ina gay way!! ) hahahaha nice to see the pics!

North
09-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Epic post!

kootenayelkslayer
09-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Some random pics...

Here's the other ram with the broad head still in place:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5247Copy.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5235Copy.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_5281Copy.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/IMG_0182Copy.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/IMG_0363Copy.jpg

ianwuzhere
09-03-2012, 09:21 PM
very nice pix-beautiful country-keep em comin-i mite have to cancel elk and other upcoming hunts and head high up in mountains instead :)

Rackmastr
09-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Awesome pics, awesome critters, awesome country!!!

Thanks for sharing them with us!!!!

Rattler
09-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Great thread as always...some beauty rams there...

Thanks for sharing and good luck elk hunting.

Duk Dog
09-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Awesome stuff! Always like seeing your year end guiding summary. Congratulations.

yama49
09-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Great pics, and storys.. Congrats on another fine year of guiding..

Blainer
09-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Your threads amaze me
thank you

stoneguide
09-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Looks like a good season as usual bud!! Thanks for sharing.

Brambles
09-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Great writeup once again Mike, can't wait to hear about your Ram!!

BCRiverBoater
09-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Once again you have a great thread and even better photos. Good luck with the elk!

Wild Images
09-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Nice pics Mike, nice old ram, Congrats

Hammerhead
09-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks for all the pics and write ups. I remember going thru last seasons and thinking lots of hard work but some great experiences no doubt. We are leaving this Saturday for our sheep hunt so after seeing this I'm stoked to hit the mountains again. Looking forward to the tread of your sheep. Thanks again
HH

trigger
09-04-2012, 08:42 AM
holy geez, i love your end of season write ups.
as per usual, nothing but absolute awesomness.
congrats on another successful season.
thanks for sharing the photos and stories.

as for recomending threads.
check out my solo dall thread. im pretty pumped about it, and am still figuring out video editing

mfarrally
09-04-2012, 08:58 AM
great stuff, awesome pics

spear
09-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks for posting, great thread and pics. Looks like you had a terrible time, you have my sympathies!

kootenayelkslayer
09-04-2012, 10:12 AM
holy geez, i love your end of season write ups.
as per usual, nothing but absolute awesomness.
congrats on another successful season.
thanks for sharing the photos and stories.

as for recomending threads.
check out my solo dall thread. im pretty pumped about it, and am still figuring out video editing

Thanks man. Just checked out your Dall sheep, soooooo sweet! Congrats on a beauty ram.

44inchStone
09-04-2012, 11:16 AM
WOW!!
GREAT season! Whether a sheep hunter or Sheep guide. NO rain, snow, sleet or fog will keep us out of the mountains. Sounds like you had a bunch of each but again always pushed for success!!
Congrats!!

srupp
09-04-2012, 11:36 AM
absolutley awesome...words really fail me...hmmmm maybe jealousy is one..lol

Hope when I win my millions I get you as a guide...

cheers and thanks

Steven

IronNoggin
09-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Most EXCELLENT Report! Awesome in Fact!! :mrgreen:

Loved the part with the bowhunter aiming at those most desirable horns! LOL!
Did the same thing myself many many moons ago - passing a bullet right through one side.
Next shot I settled down enough to capitalize (fortunately!!) :redface:

Where abouts in the NWT? Spent some considerable time up there myself and a few of your pics look somewhat familiar??

Now... Where is the story about YOUR Hunt & Ram :?:

Cheers,
Nog

greenhorn
09-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I have a serious man-crush on Kootenayelkslayer......... Nice!!!!

proguide66
09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Those pic and stories are wicked !!!! verry cool , thanks for putten em up ! Love the broad head !

dana
09-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Yet another top-notch account of a top-notch season. Great pics as always! Every year I enjoy your post season thread.

Yukon280
09-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Gana River? Rams Head?

kennyj
09-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Congratulations on another great season. You sent a lot of people home with big smiles for sure.
Awesome job on the photos.
kenny

kootenayelkslayer
09-04-2012, 08:28 PM
absolutley awesome...words really fail me...hmmmm maybe jealousy is one..lol

Hope when I win my millions I get you as a guide...

cheers and thanks

Steven

Most EXCELLENT Report! Awesome in Fact!! :mrgreen:

Loved the part with the bowhunter aiming at those most desirable horns! LOL!
Did the same thing myself many many moons ago - passing a bullet right through one side.
Next shot I settled down enough to capitalize (fortunately!!) :redface:

Where abouts in the NWT? Spent some considerable time up there myself and a few of your pics look somewhat familiar??

Now... Where is the story about YOUR Hunt & Ram :?:

Cheers,
Nog

Those pic and stories are wicked !!!! verry cool , thanks for putten em up ! Love the broad head !

Yet another top-notch account of a top-notch season. Great pics as always! Every year I enjoy your post season thread.

Congratulations on another great season. You sent a lot of people home with big smiles for sure.
Awesome job on the photos.
kenny

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I'll try to get the story/pics/video up from my quick sheep hunt in the next day or two.

I have a serious man-crush on Kootenayelkslayer......... Nice!!!!

Hahaha careful, I've been in the bush a while.

Call of the Wild
09-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Awesome season again, thanks for sharing. You realise you're living a dream, enjoy it while it last.

TheProvider
09-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Awesome pics. That broadhead definately adds alot of character to the trophy.

hellojello74
09-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks for sharing a great season, makes you me want to quit the job and go back to guiding, well till the snow flies :), nah guiding is awesome

BiG Boar
09-05-2012, 01:08 PM
pretty sweet season man. Hope you top your last personal season too! Looks like you're on the way with that dall! Keep the great posts coming.

kootenayelkslayer
09-05-2012, 05:04 PM
pretty sweet season man. Hope you top your last personal season too! Looks like you're on the way with that dall! Keep the great posts coming.

Thanks man. I think it's going to be a pretty tame hunting season for me personally, but I'll try my best.

moose2
09-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Great thread again this year congrats on the dall he looks good. Really enjoyed this one thanks for posting.
Mike

09-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Man I sure would like to take in a hunt with your outfit that you work for.

Congrats on all your hard work and success ! You deserve your own Ram and I look forward to seeing the thread and pic's

CT

Mik
09-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Cant say anything that hasnt already been said :) Congrats on another fantastic year.

cuervosail
09-06-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm envious. I spent more than 20 yrs guiding caribou hunters in the NWT and miss it terribly (gov't shut it all down a couple of years ago). Being in the alpine or out on the tundra in early September is an indescribable experience. I got a kick out of the broadhead in the horn. I had a hunter do the same thing years ago to a caribou, except it took off and never came back. Somewhere on the tundra lies an antler with an arrow sticking out of it.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Always one of my favorite threads of the yr...and you didn't disappoint as per the norm!

Congrats on your ram and season,,,so far. Looks like you haven't missed a beat since last yr's dream season.

SSS

kootenayelkslayer
09-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Always one of my favorite threads of the yr...and you didn't disappoint as per the norm!

Congrats on your ram and season,,,so far. Looks like you haven't missed a beat since last yr's dream season.

SSS
Thanks man, looking forward to hearing how you and BCRams made out on your sheep hunt.

ovis40
09-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Looks like you had another great season! Man I miss that river.Congrats on getting your own ram Mike. The wait is well worth it isn't it.

pg83
09-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the great thread again. Congrats to you on your Dall ram, look forward to the thread and pics. Enjoy the elk and whatever else you pursue this year.

ElectricDyck
09-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

Bearen 09
09-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Congrats Mike.. Looks to me like you put some miles on.It has bin a couple of days now and your sheep isn't up..
School work can wait.. :)

kootenayelkslayer
09-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Congrats Mike.. Looks to me like you put some miles on.It has bin a couple of days now and your sheep isn't up..
School work can wait.. :)

Here ya go Darryl:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?86054-My-NWT-Dall-Sheep-Pics-and-Video&highlight=dall+sheep