PDA

View Full Version : Elk driving me crazy

snowriver
09-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Found a great spot for Elk, fresh tracks, fresh scat, in a clear cut. Problem is I have sat it till dark, no Elk. Been there at first light, no Elk. Overnite new tracks( raked out the old ones) new scat. Elk seem to leave the cut before dawn and don't enter till after dark. Walked the dark timber above. No Elk. Thinking what candlelight flashlite will work at midnight taped to my scope. (just kidding) frustrating experience. No bugling that I have heard. Will cow talking during the rut work? Blast a bugle during the day? Set land mines? Their driving me crazy. We are talking major sign, maybe 60 to 70 Elk every nite. The smell of Elk every morning is awesome. They have been there. Pissed all over. You can see it on the ground. What would you do? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

ianwuzhere
09-03-2012, 07:19 PM
keep at it and wait till the bullz are bugling- "they will come"!

Jetboat
09-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Patience Grasshopper. Stick it out and you will succeed :)

chris26262
09-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Let me know where your at and ill take a look for ya... Ha ha jk

Brett
09-03-2012, 07:58 PM
cow talk I think s your best bet, especially early season while the bulls are herding the cows up

snowriver
09-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Let me know where your at and ill take a look for ya... Ha ha jk

The spot is two miles north of Jelvis's house. Take the first turn past the big cedar tree, then go another 5 miles or so up. When you see the herd of cattle on the right look for the bullshit. If you are reading this post you have found it. A good Elk hunter can never reveal his spot, but can't blame a man for trying. Thanks Chris.

ianwuzhere
09-03-2012, 08:10 PM
ha i knew it was just past Jelvis's house!
keep at the spot- its only a matter of time!

Ourea
09-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Found a great spot for Elk, fresh tracks, fresh scat, in a clear cut. Problem is I have sat it till dark, no Elk. Been there at first light, no Elk. Overnite new tracks( raked out the old ones) new scat. Elk seem to leave the cut before dawn and don't enter till after dark. Walked the dark timber above. No Elk. Thinking what candlelight flashlite will work at midnight taped to my scope. (just kidding) frustrating experience. No bugling that I have heard. Will cow talking during the rut work? Blast a bugle during the day? Set land mines? Their driving me crazy. We are talking major sign, maybe 60 to 70 Elk every nite. The smell of Elk every morning is awesome. They have been there. Pissed all over. You can see it on the ground. What would you do? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Elk "generally" come down at night and up in the morning.
You know where you are hunting......where you are trying to kill them.
They are coming from somewhere.
Work the equation backwards.
Figure all of the math out...where they bed....the transition areas...wallows......scent pits...get to know them.
Elk, in my experience, cover huge distances in the course of their day.
Your "spot" may be only an area that they spend a few hours out of 24.
Their patterns will soon be disrupted with the onslaught of the rut and the change in the nutritional composition of plants and Forbes from the cooler weather.
Most successful elk hunters are very busy during the season for a reason.
Couple points worth considering.

Stay on it, stay on it, stay on it.
Good luck.

dragonslayer
09-03-2012, 08:21 PM
The spot is two miles north of Jelvis's house. Take the first turn past the big cedar tree, then go another 5 miles or so up. When you see the herd of cattle on the right look for the bullshit. If you are reading this post you have found it. A good Elk hunter can never reveal his spot, but can't blame a man for trying. Thanks Chris.

snowriver I do like your scents of humor:-P

hunter1993ap
09-03-2012, 08:25 PM
with this heat stay in camp and drink whisky until the weather turns a little cooler:-P

j270wsm
09-03-2012, 09:09 PM
You know where they are when it's dark, you can see the direction they head when leaving the clear cut. Is there any water or thick timber where the tracks head to? If there is try still hunting, try to get ahead of them.

sed8ed
09-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Take a look at the moon... Full moon = feeding at night... new moon = feeding at dusk and dawn

Wait until the 10-15 of the month... elk will come

snowriver
09-04-2012, 06:17 AM
You know where they are when it's dark, you can see the direction they head when leaving the clear cut. Is there any water or thick timber where the tracks head to? If there is try still hunting, try to get ahead of them.
They do head into thick timber above the cut. Thermals in the morning are coming down. So very hard to get above them. They seem to move with the wind. Up when the wind is coming down and the opposite in the evening. They seem to be very nocturnal, and the pressure has't even started yet. Very smart animal. Guess that's why they call them the ghosts of the forest.

Ltbullken
09-04-2012, 10:09 AM
You could set up a stand in the bush where you think they might be holding up in the day - look for thick timber or a game trail that shows how they are accessing the block. I'd think right now a bugle call might get a bull aggitated enough to respond. Walk the bush and bugle call and go towards the call. Be prepared for a rodeo!

budismyhorse
09-04-2012, 10:32 AM
they know you are there....have patience and maybe watch from as far away as you can next time. If you are in there stomping around raking tracks and taste testing piss they know all about you and your timing ;).

watch from a distance and then move in (pending wind) when they come out.

BlacktailStalker
09-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Stay off the calls just put more time in patterning them and ambush them when you're as certain as can be what they'll do when you go for it. Best way to kill a bull is when he doesn't know you are there.
Dont educate them. They could leave the area completely.
When you know they are hot and fired up, it's nice to locate them but then go in silent and be patient, find him, of he wants to talk he will and that's perfect, u can go in fast to within a certain point/distance.
There are two absolutes here, they are headin somewhere and coming from somewhere.
Figure that out. Like said its always up or down in elk country.
Theyre going down for water and coming up from water/feeding/rutting to bed on a saddle, bench, around a cool wallow/stream or north facing cool timber especially if its hot.
You can check those places out, you'll smell them before you see them in the timber so depending if it's open enough to get a shot, still hunting may be a good bet. It's fun shadowing elk in the timber. The bull often cruises around the herd, restless. Sometimes a subtle chirp can bring him to you especially when you're in cover. Elk aren't stupid, they can pin point a call to 5' from within a km, most vocalizations are here in timber, under cover etc. not off a road, landing or middle of a slash. Elk don't need to talk when they can see each other. There's nothing cooler than listening to herd talk moving through the bush. You often can't hear it outside 40 yards.

Hunt-for-life
09-04-2012, 11:38 AM
i hate it when that happens

snowriver
09-04-2012, 11:50 AM
they know you are there....have patience and maybe watch from as far away as you can next time. If you are in there stomping around raking tracks and taste testing piss they know all about you and your timing ;).

watch from a distance and then move in (pending wind) when they come out.
I think they know I have been around. I've been watching them make tracks since mid July. They always come back to the area. They are local Elk with good feed and cover. I haven't taste tested their piss yet, cause I'm thinkin the burger and backstraps would be a lot better. I have glassed till dark from the top of an adjacent mountain, been back at first light from the same spot. (1/2 mile away.) No Elk. When I drive around to check the area, pounded with fresh sign. Old local Elk hunter says, hunt them in the rain with a new moon. Best chance to get one. Hope he is right. Come Monday I will spray myself with as much Elk piss as money can buy, roll in some fresh scat and head up the mountain. Wife says stay as long as you want, please stay as long as you want.And hunt hard in the rain. Ahh must be Elk season.

BCMinistry
09-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Your scope have nightvision? lol JK

Bugle M In
09-04-2012, 05:35 PM

Are you watching the wind????
Very important if they are holed up all day in timber.
I have had experience where I know elk are resting, but if the wind is blowing in to them, I will never see them.
Also...any creeks near by??
Wallows???
Cow call is best at these times...but make sure wind is in your favour.
Quite often bulls come in without sound, so little movement and big eyes when sitting after calling.
Bulls will hang in wallows/ creeks..near the rest of the herd.
Should be rubbing lots now as well.
As I said....never walk into and sit in an area where you have the gut feeling ( and sign )elk are
without the wind in youjr favour...!
Just be ready , it will happen!:wink:

snowriver
09-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Are you watching the wind????
Very important if they are holed up all day in timber.
I have had experience where I know elk are resting, but if the wind is blowing in to them, I will never see them.
Also...any creeks near by??
Wallows???
Cow call is best at these times...but make sure wind is in your favour.
Quite often bulls come in without sound, so little movement and big eyes when sitting after calling.
Bulls will hang in wallows/ creeks..near the rest of the herd.
Should be rubbing lots now as well.
As I said....never walk into and sit in an area where you have the gut feeling ( and sign )elk are
without the wind in youjr favour...!
Just be ready , it will happen!:wink:

There is a creek in the bottom of the valley, but the hillside where the dark timber is has springs popping up all over. Haven't found a wallow yet as I have been hesitant to go stomping in there till I can legally shoot something. I understand hunting into the wind, have taken some nice bulls in my time. Just never in this area. I also only walk in as far as I am willing to pack out. It is rough country and hard to get yourself in never mind a bull Elk out. Hoping to call one close to a trail to make things a little easier. No such thing as easy Elk, but close to a major highway would be nice.

Darksith
09-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I read a story one time. It was written by an old timer that lived to hunt elk. Anyway, the story went something like this...

He took a friend out for an elk hunt. They both knew where the elk were feeding at night in the fields. In the morning when they left for their hunt, the friend was surprised that they didn't drive to the field where the elk were feeding at night. Instead they drove up an old road, up and up and up they went. Finally the friend couldn't take it anymore, confused he asked where they were going and why they weren't going to the fields. The old timer said we're not going to where we know the elk are each night...we're going to where the elk are going. When they got to the top, they got out and sat down. Sure enough about 2 hours after they got there, looking down the hill, here came the elk. You know where they are at night, but do you know where they go when light arrives? Answer this and you will find the best place to hunt the elk you are on top of.

Tenaka
09-07-2012, 09:32 AM
stick up your trail cam. try to catch a time and a direction of travel. you may be missing them by a half hour or maybey by 4 hours. you can maybey move up slope and catch them before they hit your spot. or move down slope to catch them moving in the morning. I have had the same problem in other years, where you simply may not see them during daylight hours. the good thing, is they are not far away. good luck.

Brambles
09-07-2012, 09:35 AM

Yeah but by the sounds of it your not a good elk hunter!!! You would have killed it by now if you were!

snowriver
09-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Yeah but by the sounds of it your not a good elk hunter!!! You would have killed it by now if you were!

Have to admit you are right, I am probably a bad Elk hunter. If they would hang around in the morning like they are supposed to, they would be good Elk. Good or bad I think they both taste good. As for killing it by now, I think I will wait till Sept 10. If I had killed it by now. I would be a bad Elk hunter.

Truecraft
09-08-2012, 10:04 AM
I read a story one time. It was written by an old timer that lived to hunt elk. Anyway, the story went something like this...

He took a friend out for an elk hunt. They both knew where the elk were feeding at night in the fields. In the morning when they left for their hunt, the friend was surprised that they didn't drive to the field where the elk were feeding at night. Instead they drove up an old road, up and up and up they went. Finally the friend couldn't take it anymore, confused he asked where they were going and why they weren't going to the fields. The old timer said we're not going to where we know the elk are each night...we're going to where the elk are going. When they got to the top, they got out and sat down. Sure enough about 2 hours after they got there, looking down the hill, here came the elk. You know where they are at night, but do you know where they go when light arrives? Answer this and you will find the best place to hunt the elk you are on top of.

Now that sounds like a very good hunter, nice advise. Will keep this in mind when I go out hunting for my bull in gold river soon. Thanks darksith

jetboat jim
09-08-2012, 10:49 AM
A bad hunter is someone who bends the rules and laws..............a good hunter will make mistakes and learn from them, this is part of the fun.

just keep at it and make a good ethical shot.