PDA

View Full Version : Early Spatsizi Sone's Sheep Draw

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 12:04 PM
PILOT early draw in the spring of 2007 is being implemented for the Spatsizi sheep hunt in MU 6-20 Zone A.The BCWF, BC Parks and the Fish and Wildlife Branch have identified limited success in the regular LEH Spatsizi sheep draw. Increasing LEH does not seem to be having the anticipated results. A PILOT early draw in the spring of 2007 is being implemented for the Spatsizi sheep hunt in MU 6-20 Zone A. The draw will run in conjunction with the Spring grizzly draw. Attached is a PDF of a 2 page mini synopsis for this draw only.
IMPORTANT to not confuse this with the Special Sheep draw. This early Spatsizi draw is a regular LEH and the REGULAR LEH APPLICATIONS are to be used.

PILOT early draw in the spring of 2007 is being implemented for the Spatsizi sheep hunt in MU 6-20 Zone A.
The BCWF, BC Parks and the Fish and Wildlife Branch have identified limited success in the regular LEH Spatsizi sheep draw. Increasing LEH does not seem to be having the anticipated results. A PILOT early draw in the spring of 2007 is being implemented for the Spatsizi sheep hunt in MU 6-20 Zone A. The draw will run in conjunction with the Spring grizzly draw. Attached is a PDF of a 2 page mini synopsis for this draw only.
IMPORTANT to not confuse this with the Special Sheep draw. This early Spatsizi draw is a regular LEH and the REGULAR LEH APPLICATIONS are to be used.

Draws must arrive in Victoria February 2nd.

WoodOx
11-20-2006, 12:07 PM
That sounds cool GG.

Am I missing something, or could you send that with it attached (the mini synopsis) the info to my email? or do you just apply to this like a grizzly LEH?

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 12:11 PM
I can't post it on this site for some reason.

Hunt code is 6000
area 6-20A
hunt date lines up with spring grizz
odds for the summer/fall draw last year were 3.8:1 and there were 50 authorizations distributed.

I can also email the pdf to you if you wish.

BCrams
11-20-2006, 12:18 PM
All draws should be done early with a February 2nd deadline.

This will allow hunters the flexibility when booking their vacation time and planning their hunts in advance.

I believe with the case of the Spatsizi draw, many hunters are applying for moose and mountain goat in conjunction with the sheep draw. If they are not successful for more than one draw, they may feel it is not worth the effort to go in there for a one species hunt. If a hunter draws only a sheep tag - he/she may not go unless they also get a moose or goat (or both) in order to go hunting there.

Hopefully this pilot draw is a success.

Marc
11-20-2006, 12:18 PM
How hard is it to get into this country? is it fly in access or river boat only? Just wondering if it's worth putting in for.

WoodOx
11-20-2006, 12:58 PM
andrewgaucher@hotmail.com

My email address.

Marc, only from minimal study of some road maps looks like the area isnt semi accessible. Meaning you drive on the Alaska highway up close to Dease Lake, and from there hoof it. Doubt it would be an easy hunt, but I dont think any sheep hunts are ;D

Gateholio
11-20-2006, 01:33 PM
I have never been there, but a spring sheep hunt inthat area makes me think of rain gear!:lol:

Would this be like the ggrizz draws? You don't get a spring sheep draw, you can still apply for a fall sheep draw?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-20-2006, 01:46 PM
It's an early DRAW not an early HUNT.
I was a little confused at the beginning as well.
ALL SHEEP draws that start Aug 1 st should be like that.
SSS

Gateholio
11-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Ahh..I mis read it...

Thought it said "in conjuction wit the hunt" but it was "the draw":lol:

Krico
11-20-2006, 02:05 PM
It's an early DRAW not an early HUNT.
I was a little confused at the beginning as well.
ALL SHEEP draws that start Aug 1 st should be like that.
SSS

Agreed. It's a little tough to plan a hunt for the start of August when you don't get your LEH results until July. The way it is now you have to plan 1 hunt for if you DO get your LEH, and 1 hunt for if you DON'T get your LEH. Nevermind trying to book vacation days at the last minute...

Mik
11-20-2006, 11:56 PM
I had a sheep tag in that area this year, that is one tough hunt. Never did see any sheep, area was heavily treed for the first 10 km. small openings here & there with no luck. Never did get to the platuea, however other hunters on horseback were there and never seen a thing. That was late Sept.:sad: It seems that a "fly in" is the only way and theres a large "No shooting area" around Cold Fish Lake!
Mik

boxhitch
11-21-2006, 09:14 AM
I don't understand what the MOE is trying to accomplish here. With 50 permits let and 3 to 1 odds, this hunt should be reasonably 'subscribed' ? IF the hunter effort is LOW, as I assume it is, an early draw will not get LEH winners of their asses and into the mountains any better than now. They are not reaching thier target harvest numbers, so what is the actual reason ?? Poor success ?? Poor effort ??

mainland hunter
11-21-2006, 09:36 AM
i think to go after guys who are serious sheep hunters and not just applying for the tag cause they'll be hunting moose there

brno375
11-21-2006, 09:54 AM
I don't understand what the MOE is trying to accomplish here. With 50 permits let and 3 to 1 odds, this hunt should be reasonably 'subscribed' ? IF the hunter effort is LOW, as I assume it is, an early draw will not get LEH winners of their asses and into the mountains any better than now. They are not reaching thier target harvest numbers, so what is the actual reason ?? Poor success ?? Poor effort ??

My guess would be low hunter participation = poor success = not reaching target numbers. It is probably why the new allocation policy is giving more tags to the g/o's in that area (as per GoatGuy's post on another thread). Change it from a LEH to GOS and see what happens.

As for why participation is low I think there are a couple of reasons, one of which is the short time between receiving authorization and going on the hunt. Others are hunting partners not being able to go, underestimation of cost/distance, and suprise expenses at home.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Change it from a LEH to GOS and see what happens.
This would be the best solution but because it is a certain classification of "provincial park"(can't remember the proper designation), it's a policy to keep species on LEH.

The closure around Coldfish Lk is only a 1KM radius. Not very far when you're talking sheep hunting. Most sheep aren't shot within a km of a hunter's drop off lake.

SSS

GoatGuy
11-21-2006, 02:10 PM

Nobody goes.:)

They're hoping this will enable people to book the time off in a advance, do the research and know where to go to slay a ram. A lot of these folks will put in for a handful of tags there cause it's cool get the draw with the hopes of running into a ram out in a swamp!

Fisher-Dude
11-21-2006, 02:37 PM
I have the solution...in one word...QUAD! :biggrin:

Wouldn't that make the Greens' day if they allowed THAT in a provincial park! :rolleyes:

I expect that they will be looking to move the timeline up for all draws if this one works as expected.

Gateholio
11-21-2006, 04:03 PM
So why is htis such a difficult place to hunt?

Is it just the initial acess?

3-1 odds seem pretty low, good chance of getting a tag.

boxhitch
11-22-2006, 04:34 AM
Nobody goes.:)

!

The timing of all apps has been a bitch for a long time, so why pick on one sheep draw ? It may allow for those serious sheep nutz, but is open to those 'mid-winter blues armchair dreamers' too. No change there.
I say all leh apps, for the more covetted species like sheep and g.b ear should have to be accompanied by the fee for the tag, at the time of app. Returned to non-winneers, Non-refundable for those winners. That would sort out the diehards.

GoatGuy
11-22-2006, 08:38 AM
The timing of all apps has been a bitch for a long time, so why pick on one sheep draw ? It may allow for those serious sheep nutz, but is open to those 'mid-winter blues armchair dreamers' too. No change there.
I say all leh apps, for the more covetted species like sheep and g.b ear should have to be accompanied by the fee for the tag, at the time of app. Returned to non-winneers, Non-refundable for those winners. That would sort out the diehards.

Agreed, but it's a start and an area where AAH has never been met. A step in the right direction if you will?

brno375
11-22-2006, 09:01 AM
where AAH has never been met

So in theory there should be some nice mature rams in that area, no?

boxhitch
11-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Agreed, but it's a start and an area where AAH has never been met. A step in the right direction if you will?
Yes, a step :| . A GOS seems more reasonable. This hunt may already appear artificially over subscribed, only because it is in the LEH hot sheets. Who would think twice about it if it was in the general regs, just another hunt. OR ,,,, IS IT the home of the 'great dalli ramma' ??

youngfellla
11-22-2006, 10:41 PM
So why is htis such a difficult place to hunt?

Is it just the initial acess?

Access is tough. You need to fly in, or else take horses. Backpacking into the Spatsizi for a sheep hunt is a waste of time for most. I've been on 4 hunts in Spatsizi. Quads, pickups, or riverboats won't do you any good in there.

A couple years ago the # of sheep tags was increased from around 15 to up over 50, but still nobody was going after the sheep, except for fly-in hunts.

Krico
11-23-2006, 12:06 AM
I've been on 4 hunts in Spatsizi.

I assume you flew in. What did it cost? And did you have any luck?

brno375
12-14-2006, 04:20 PM
This would be the best solution but because it is a certain classification of "provincial park"(can't remember the proper designation), it's a policy to keep species on LEH.

Amazing, especially when MU 6-20 has over four times the number of sheep than other MU's in region 6. I think it is time to make SPWP exempt from "policy" and allow a GOS for all species. With access being difficult, I do not see a tidal wave of hunters washing over the park once it goes to GOS.

CanuckShooter
12-15-2006, 08:30 AM

Anti's applying for LEH to save the animals perhaps?? I wonder if there was ever a study done on the numbers of successful LEH applicants that actually purchase a license and tags??

Deaddog
12-15-2006, 08:45 AM
I have backpacked thru parts of the spatsizi, my thoughts would be the lack of resident success in that area is that it is simply tough, tough terrain, thick bottoms , wet, muddy,and fairly tough mts, once on top it is not so bad but getting there is tough, fly in is an option but lakes are limited, the sheep are there but there is just easier places to get to

7 mag
12-15-2006, 09:44 AM
I concour Deaddog, This area is tough & only the hardiest & most determined of sheep hunters will get to the Ram mtn's. This is probebly the largest factor relating to low harvest #'s.
As for the next Chadwick Ram coming out of there -NOT LIKELY-
However according to MOE surveys the population is stable & healthy throughout the Eaglenest range.