PDA

View Full Version : Fall bear hunting

bchunter181
09-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Can anybody give me some tips on fall bear hunting I plan on going out for the next few days bear hunting and just wondering what are the bears doin at this time of the year? where to look for them? and they in the cut blocks llooking for food fatting up? FFirst time hunting bear in fall and just looking for some
Help

Bear Chaser
09-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Still early so they'll be feeding in the berry patches. Any hillside that has blueberries will have bears nearby. Pick a good spot to glass from and enjoy the fall afternoons.
If you are near farmland you should look for oat fields. Bears will enter the lower lying areas of a field preferably close to a draw or other means of escape.

srupp
09-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Still early so they'll be feeding in the berry patches. Any hillside that has blueberries will have bears nearby. Pick a good spot to glass from and enjoy the fall afternoons.
If you are near farmland you should look for oat fields. Bears will enter the lower lying areas of a field preferably close to a draw or other means of escape.

yup that should get ya started..lol it is life and death for survival for enough food and weight gain..however the big ones still opt for last minute eats dusk, at the above mentioned places..fall is salmon IF they can get it ie Quesnel lake and rivers creeks mouths..carrion or hunter kills place high then berries ESPECIALLY after that first frost concentrates the sugars... then comes alphalpha and grown crops in that order highsest nutrients for least work and working down..

salmon berries and such are good bets look for bear scat.. fresh..and look closely.. stained ground around scat indicates berries and even which kind...lots of berries will hold a bear for weeks..

cheers

Steven

SimilkameenSlayer
09-01-2012, 03:15 PM
for a bear a sharp knife is key, i recommend havalon knives (http://www.havalon.com/?gclid=CKzk9PCzlbICFWHZQgod3GQAXw), just started using them and they are excellent!

smokehouse
09-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Hey there fairly new to hunting, have been lucky enough to get a couple of bears,but always in the
Spring, is there any difference in the meat?

srupp
09-01-2012, 05:57 PM
fall meat is better IMO

steven

cameron0518
09-01-2012, 07:51 PM
WOW!!!..!!! Bears are pretty tricky. Good luck.

SimilkameenSlayer
09-01-2012, 10:14 PM
just had some spring bear meat stew for supper, with friends, and they thought it was prime rib.

Jelvis
09-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Some guy in Kamloops was going out bear hunting tomorrow, is it open now for blackies?
I don't eat bear meat so not going, but bear hunting is really popular here in Kamloops with some hunters.
What is the season for fall -- from to in kammy area region 3?
Jel ( Black ) Bearz open season dates from start to finish in MU's 3-28, 3-29, 3-30, 3-19, 3-27, 3-38? Thanks in advance
Lance :shock:

bchunter181
09-02-2012, 12:49 PM
for a bear a sharp knife is key, i recommend havalon knives (http://www.havalon.com/?gclid=CKzk9PCzlbICFWHZQgod3GQAXw), just started using them and they are excellent!

They look nice but the website won't ship to Canada

buford19
09-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Depends on where you live, in the northwest just follow the fish and you will find lots of bears. Now that most fish are spawning here, there been lots of bears on the rivers.

Barracuda
09-02-2012, 01:01 PM
fish +bear = foul tablefare
Bears that have been eating nice stuff (berries grass etc ) taste nice . Bears that have eaten nasty stuff(fish ,carrion etc) taste nasty.

srupp
09-02-2012, 01:57 PM
hmmm was looking for bears..yes good eaters are NOT EATING SALMON= GAG!!!!

Havalon knives can be bought in Canada..bought mine and extra blades in Red Deer SPORTS STORE..they even shipped.. EXELLENT KNIVES CAUTION SURGICAL SHARP..MISTAKES CAN BE PAINFUL AND DANGEROUS..

Steven