PDA

View Full Version : Elk Are they calling yet in 7b region?

cwm
09-01-2012, 08:22 AM
jetting up muskwa soon anybody in area hear?

Jamiko
09-01-2012, 08:49 AM
just back from a camping trip in jasper - got a bull to bugle with a cow call. Another herd of cows also had a bull with them, both of the bulls were definatlely acting rutish.

NORTHERN HUNTER
09-01-2012, 10:00 AM
They are screaming by Mackenzie!!!

schilly101
09-01-2012, 11:10 AM
im curious as to if the elk anyweres are starting yet, i wont be going elk hunting for another 15-20 days but would be interesting to see how the weather this year will or has affected the time the rut will begin and how hard they will rut! its been a cool and wet summer in alot of places i wonder if that might mean a little earlyer rut?

Walking Buffalo
09-01-2012, 01:32 PM
im curious as to if the elk anyweres are starting yet, i wont be going elk hunting for another 15-20 days but would be interesting to see how the weather this year will or has affected the time the rut will begin and how hard they will rut! its been a cool and wet summer in alot of places i wonder if that might mean a little earlyer rut?

Weather does Not influence the timing or "hardness" of the rut. The rut will happen the same time as last year, and next year.

The rut is all about breeding. Timing of conception has evolved to result in optimum birth dates for calf survival.

Now if you want to talk about climate change, this could change the timing of the rut.....

cwm
09-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks for some response

Boner
09-01-2012, 03:29 PM
To the fellow camping in Jasper:

Good practice! :)

allan
09-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I heard three different bulls bugling in 8-5,2-17 this morning but only one bugle each just the first hour of daylight. I was on a mtn top and could listen to them each in a different valley.I know it's not really close to your area. But Its nice to know the bulls are starting to sound off.

Jamiko
09-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Here is the jasper bull that responded to a cow call, beautiful 7x7! Notice the mud on his back, also had some branches hanging off his antler when we first saw him. The last pic in this link is a 6x6 also hanging around cows. http://s1073.photobucket.com/albums/w391/jamiko99/jasper%20bull/

Ltbullken
09-02-2012, 02:19 AM
The rut is affected by the amount and type of sunlight. Without getting too technical, it involves changes within the colour bands of light as the season changes, so weather (or 'climate change' for that matter) would not change the timing of the rut. Warm weather might make rutting activity more nocturnal when it is cooler but it will still happen. It'll just give the impression of there being 'no rut'.

The Dude
09-02-2012, 03:25 AM
You should put those asper bulls on Ourea's Gorgeous Bull thread!

elkdom
09-02-2012, 07:28 AM
opening morning, in Reg 7-20 yesterday morning 6am, as I watched from 60 yards , a good 5x5 bull and a big solitary cow, the bull had his nose right on her ass, but no response to any calls, the bull definitely displaying intentions of the nearing rut

cwm
09-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Nice ,that is good news 2 days until we go up river thanks to wolfmade aluminum R.i.p.

Ltbullken
09-02-2012, 12:16 PM
2 weeks and I'm in Chetwynd with bugle and chirper in hand!!

cwm
09-02-2012, 10:20 PM
A pre rut elk may taste a litte better

Ltbullken
09-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Pre-rut, Post-rut, nose in the female's ass rut --- they've all tasted the same. It's all in the field handling!

cwm
09-03-2012, 07:24 AM
The more the animal has fat the better

Ramshot
09-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Nice ,that is good news 2 days until we go up river thanks to wolfmade aluminum R.i.p.

Yes, he was a good jet-boat builder and a good friend. Heading for Tuchodi in my Wolfmade on saturday. Good luck cwm.

nap
09-03-2012, 08:56 PM
will be there on thursday, will try and be back in base camp by sunday, stop by for a coffee if you can.. where are you camping darrell

Coffee, is that what you meant by a refreshment, if we see movement around your camp sunday we will stop in.

cwm
09-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks ramshot stop by for a bs I remember u thru guy scott ,we got the black wolfmade

hunter1993ap
09-03-2012, 10:37 PM
i could smell a prety stinky bull on the weekend and had a response.

nap
09-04-2012, 12:44 AM
well I am sure we can do better than coffee!! hope to see you on sunday
No worries my friend, a good old fashioned hand shake on the tuchodi works just fine for me.

pro 111
09-09-2012, 12:25 PM
just got home from sheep hunting up the muskwa. Elk were bugling pretty good. Saw a pile of nice bulls.

cwm
09-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks tags are now cut for elk . Saw Chopper long line the bear that apparently attacked a hunter hope he is going to be ok

Wrayzer
09-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Okanagan Bulls are going, had one in monday morning, bugled at me from 10 yards and another last night that sounded really hot and heavy pushing some cows around.

Darksith
09-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I still have yet to see or hear a bull or cow for that matter in 7-20. I am only able to hunt after work so that really limits my chances Im sure. Anyone hearing any evening bugling around DC yet?

.330 Dakota
09-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Just got back from region 7-21, couldnt get anything to answer yet, except the grizzlies, will post story and pix soon

leadpillproductions
09-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Went out this mornin with my brother had one buglingbut the wind was blowing so hard

lunatic
09-14-2012, 11:11 AM
The bulls are bugling just fine in the area.....IF you can hear them or they can hear you in this fricken wind. Never blew all summer now it won't stop!

whitetailsheds
09-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I still have yet to see or hear a bull or cow for that matter in 7-20. I am only able to hunt after work so that really limits my chances Im sure. Anyone hearing any evening bugling around DC yet?

Played with a bull last Saturday. Last few evenings, it's been tough. Windier than hell. No bugling! Mornings a little calmer, but no elk answering.

Cordillera
09-17-2012, 10:09 PM
we got back last night from a hunt on the Tuchodi; started sunday the 9th and hunted 4 days then rafted out two days. We heard a couple elk bugling way up on the mountains and called down a five pointer; we had to hike way off the river to start seeing many animals. We saw more hunters than elk down low and most people reported very slow hunting. On our way out we were passed by a dozen boats headed downstream and could only see antlers in one of them. We took one cow so the freezer is OK but it seems like heat may have delayed the action this year?

lunatic
09-18-2012, 09:55 AM
The wind finally died down Saturday morning and the elk were screaming. We took a bull within 45 mins of shooting light, and had another one continue to call. A friend of mine in another area close to Dawson Creek had great action Saturday and Sunday and they took 2 bulls and said another group in the area took 3. The rut is on!

whitetailsheds
09-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Awesome weather for calling this weekend as lunatic mentioned. No elk, but Sat. and Sun. evenings both produced wolves. Didn't get a chance at them.

Call of the Wild
09-18-2012, 05:50 PM
In the peace of Alberta they are calling and to a level I never experienced. In our party one guy shoot within the first two hours of opening rifle season. He had 5 bulls around him. Today was intense with a mature bull on the cruise control calling constantly and almost had a chance at a bull. After locating him with a bugle I saw part of one antler for a few seconds at 60 yards in thick bush and then he was nowhere to be found. The wind was good but he just desapeared.

I'm presently sitting overlooking a good corner that been good the last few years. Just had an other bull on the cruise control bugling at least 12 times. He never made a move towards me but answered at every bugble and cow calls I did.

They are very active and hopefully a bull come feed infront of me tonight.

Rackmastr
09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Thats great to hear Call of the Wild!!! Good luck tonight!!

Call of the Wild
09-18-2012, 05:59 PM
As I send the previous post, I heard running in front of me. A small 2x2 was chasing 2 cows, he sure did look tender but not quite legal. Maybe something else will move in and the wind died now.

Call of the Wild
09-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Now they're back feeding at 50 yards. I have all that on pictures and video. What a rush!!!!

Call of the Wild
09-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Well we woke up late this morning and I was the last one out of bed. When I woke up there there was one bugling crazy not even a mile from the camp. He ran away when the guys made a move on him.

Then late morning I made my way toward a big basty remote valley, where I harvested my elk last year. Well 500 yards in the bush with lots of dead fall I pushed something. I bugled and with a lot of patience I manage to bring in the 2x2 and the cows of last night without any call after almost two hours of staying still. I wanted to play with him when he was at 30 yards so I bugled again and heard some chuckles far into the bush. Well 20 minutes later with some cow calls I harvested a nice 6x6.

They're calling and active, the other hunter heard bugles at last light. Good luck everyone.

Rackmastr
09-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Great to hear man!!! Any pics of the bull you shot?

Call of the Wild
09-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Great to hear man!!! Any pics of the bull you shot?

Thanks, I have only one bar for service on the cell. Pics will have to wait, actually I'm thinking to write my whole season in one story after season is over. I'm too busy right now hunting or working to sit down during hunting season to share it on the forum. Don't worry I have lots of video and pictures, should be fun to share during the cold months of the year.