PDA

View Full Version : legaliity with steel-lead shots

finngun
08-31-2012, 09:07 PM
if im duck hunting and wanna shoot some grouse at same trip... is it legal keep lead shots in my back pack while i'm duck hunting with steel shots?:?: thanx

warnniklz
08-31-2012, 09:58 PM
steel works for grouse too... so does a stick. You'll be fine

FirePower
08-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Tehcnicly no you must not be in possesion of toxic shot while waterfowl hunting.

blacklab
09-01-2012, 07:51 AM
The act states possession for the purpose of hunting migratory birds. Technically you can be in possession of steel and lead shot, while hunting both upland and migratory birds.
The trouble starts when you're checked by an overzealous duckcop.

heyblast
09-01-2012, 08:39 AM
You can not be in possesion of toxic shot when hunting waterfowl.Period. Buy some cheap steel shells to use on the grouse.

grumps
09-09-2012, 02:31 PM
You can not be in possesion of toxic shot when hunting waterfowl.Period. Buy some cheap steel shells to use on the grouse.nothing in the regs about not having lead shot in your possession will hunting waterfowl pg. 33 2012-2014 regs Grumps

snortwheez
09-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Don't get caught with lead in your pockets while hunting waterfowl, unless you don't mind losing your licence for awhile and paying a fine.

spreerider
09-09-2012, 07:59 PM
i was pulled over by a CO and he was training a new CO, they asked me what i was doing i said on my way out duck hunting, asked if i had steel shot, i said i have steel for ducks but some #7 lead for grouse, he said thats fine.

if i had #4 or #2 i probably would have had a problem but who hunts ducks with #7 it would be tough...

finngun
09-09-2012, 09:26 PM
spreerider.../// who hunts ducks with #7 it would be tough....//. duck will come down with#7 too if duck is 20m or less..no prbl...but i do not use lead for ducks..

riflebuilder
09-30-2012, 07:14 PM
All they have to do is pass a metal detector over the ducks and they will show the steel shot. I have been stopped with bothe ducks and upland birds and they tested them this way. It is illegal to shoot magratory birds with Lead it is not illegal to have lead shot on you for upland birds.

springpin
09-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Use steel for everything solves any problems or questions.

BRvalley
10-15-2012, 11:22 AM
email the CO office and ask this question, state very clearly what the scenario is....then print off and carry the reply in your pack

I have done this before with fishing regs...the CO on the river was ready to write a ticket for fishing out of season (I was practicing spey casts on the water even though I didn't have a hook on me, practice flies had cut hooks)...I showed him the email and he settled down

I've always had fast replies emailing the CO office...there are some "gray" areas and asking in advance demonstrates due diligence

Pyro
10-28-2012, 02:19 AM
email the CO office and ask this question, state very clearly what the scenario is....then print off and carry the reply in your pack

Good idea.