PDA

View Full Version : Tatshenshini-Alsek Provincial Park

seatoskymiles
08-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Anyone ever hunt this area for moose? Working in the yukon right now and will get out lat Sept or early Oct. since it's any bull moose thought that since I'm here I might as well hut there, only 3 1/2 hours from whitehorse and I have all my gear and my truck. The regions are 6-28 and 29 and it's a little far from any where so thought the hunting pressure would be light.

proguide66
08-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Ive hunted it. Its big country with very thick buckbrush on either side of the highway for a long ways. You 'could' get lucky and find a moose within 'realistic' distance but the fact is , no motorised vehicles of the west side of highway and the first nations make a couple camps and hit it pretty hard with their quads.The moose know the highway is bad .With a small tin boat you could hit the lake as the spruce patch's are along the lake shore and should hold some. There's also loads of goats down towards the south end of the highway as you head to the U.S. border.
I'd be more tempted to hit those areas where the highway dips back into B.C. as you head south. I snooped there en route home and it looked juicey !
There is a few cabins along the highway through the Tat but make sure you bring your own firewood to replace what you use as there isnt any along there.
Good luck !
( MEGA grizz to!)

grizzlydueck
08-31-2012, 09:33 PM
B.C's greatest kept secret ! The tat is like northern B.C. Pink mountain meets the rolling hills of scotland. There is a first come first serve cabin owned by a doctor 20 min from the yukon bc border-the biggest moose to come out of bc in years= came from behind the outfitters camp a few years ago= up the quad trail. The west side has lots of spots to hunt or horse or mountain bike across the valley. There are lots of glassin spots around and a lot of moose pockets. The outfitter brothers are like GOOD COP \ BAD COP they had a bunch of hunting tv dudes in camp filming hunts, 6 or more of them and all they had to show for it was a grizz. We had never been there before and after 4 days we found so many bulls, bears and quite a few sheep=we took out 2 great bulls and the americans were not happy with thier guides and the guide outfitter wasn't happy with us ! The one brother was telling us that he owned the hunting from the yukon to alaska .... and that how his family had taken soo many record bulls and sheep and goats... the other brother took me aside [after seeing our bulls]and begged us to keep quiet about how good the hunting is ! F@4#k them= we are from bc we can hunt bc ! So anyone who would like any info on the tat pm me and we will get on the phone and go over everything we had been told and learned on our own ! Tons of moose- open season on goats, a hour hike from the highway- bc dall sheep walking from the highway or if your lucky i spotted a few herds with rams from the highway ! amazing fishing-we must of seen a couple hundred ptarmigan --amazing grizz hunting we took alot of pictures of the rolling hills closer to the alaska side =but they just didn't do it justice .... Just to see the country at least once was amazing ! It should be on everybody's bucket list.
cheers

seatoskymiles
09-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks guys, looking forward to checking it out

srupp
09-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Kelsell lake far end lots of moose, goats.... shallow lake...

steven