PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone recently used the portage into Eutsuk Lake?

Fraink
08-31-2012, 09:29 AM
On my bucket list is a trip into Eutsuk lake through Ootsa and over the portage. I have been talking about this trip with a friend and we are close to picking a time to go. Any info related to the trip would be welcome, We would be taking two boats for sure and staying for the better part of a week camping at the sites along the Lake. Have you been there? Time of year? Portage in good shape etc?

kgriz
08-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Went there about 15 years ago.....was good
dont know how the winch is these days but if your boats are under 20ft, most of the work can be done without the winch ( after pulled out of water) if you have 3 or 4 strong adult males.......
I took a couple extra cases of beer for payment for helpers if they were around
if you have to hand-winch the whole way it takes forever as the gear ratio is very low
Make sure you take some good rope and ratchet straps as the car you put your boat on is simply a flat deck with one post ( or used to be )
PM me if you want and I'll give you my phone number as I could type forever

PKernohan
08-31-2012, 10:58 AM
This might help, http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4306

ryanb
08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/tweeds_n/

Fraink
09-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks, was a good read. I have spent some time near Andrews bay in the lake, I have experienced some bad weather and learned quickly that I had much to learn of big water and waves. I have modified my 16 ft aluminium open boat with a hard bow screen to help with the waves, and have learned not to be bow heavy. Looking forward to getting this trip planned in the next few years.

ianwuzhere
09-01-2012, 07:27 AM
we used a chainsaw winch- worked good. we went in few yrs back before the park headquarters opened.-still was snow on the portage hehe..
big water so must have big boat. whitesail lake is also worth fishing-just watch out for the tree tops-stay in deep water. if you can go to the far end of whitesail there are some cliffs we were trolling by -pretty close by-50 feet out from them and was a few hundred feet deep-some nice areas..
eutsuk cabins are also very nice.
if theres someone at the park headquarters (rite where the portage is) they will pull you over with a quad. dont forget to bring cash to enter the park and for the portage!
good luck!

ufishifish2
09-01-2012, 12:22 PM
I went there a few years ago. There was a Park Ranger with a quad staying at the cabin beside the portage. We planned to do it ourselves but he said we were not allowed because it would tie up the area for everybody else. I forget the cost, but in the end we agreed to fork over a bunch of $$ for our two boats and he happily pulled us across to Eutsuk Lake. Take lots of money in case you are not allowed to use the hand winches.
Tips:
Don't leave dog food out at night or the fox's may eat it all. :)
I fished with a red medium-large sized Apex (hockey stick) lour and slayed the fish better than anybody else on the lake. Good luck!!!!