PDA

View Full Version : Drift a Canoe down the Moberly River to the Peace River?

Ltbullken
08-31-2012, 12:02 AM
Can anyone say if you can drift a canoe down the Moberly River towards the Peace. Are there sections where you would NOT want to do this? Are there sections where it is doable? I've seen the Moberly River around the PDR 55 bridge (north of Jackfish Lake/Delrio Road) and it looks not too bad. How is the water downstream from the PDR 55 bridge? Thoughts? Thanks.

moose2
08-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Unless its a high water year, and this one is not it would be along trip. Close to 2 days probably I know a couple guys that went from the lake to the bridge you mentioned and they said it was 3 tough days. They also said if they had shot something all the portaging would have killed them. It can be easily crossed back and forth in regular hunting boots in the shallow spots, and some years a quad can be driven way up starting down by the peace. It does take you through great country but walking the river banks might be an better option.
Mike

bridger
08-31-2012, 08:38 AM
lie down in a dark room with a cold rag over your face until the feeling goes away. lol

elkdom
08-31-2012, 09:22 AM
not enough water in the Moberly River to wet a frog's belly,,,,,, lmao

Ltbullken
09-01-2012, 12:37 PM
So it is likely shallow and easily crossed. Are there any rapids downstream of the PDR 55 bridge that require portaging?

moose2
09-01-2012, 01:57 PM
There are no rapids of concern, but there are many long stretches of 2 inch deep water flowing over gravel bars. After you leave the bridge there is also a side channel to the right about 3 km down stream that goes about 600 yards then dead ends. There are also a few large log jams along the way as well.
Mike

BCRiverBoater
09-01-2012, 09:10 PM
You would be better running a quad down the river than a canoe. Not enough water for any kind of boat this time of year. Would be faster to walk than canoe!

Jagermeister
09-02-2012, 12:10 AM
I sold my drift boat a number of years ago to a fellow from Taylor. He said he was going to use it to drift/hunt the Pine River east of Chetwynd to Taylor. Never heard anything more about it although I would have been interested to know how he fared.

Savage7mm
09-06-2012, 07:36 PM
There are far to many shallow spots in the morberly river. A few years ago we were able to drive up it for several kilometers from the mouth. I wouldn't waiste my time trying to put a canoe in it.

Ltbullken
09-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Okay, thanks for the info guys. Shelve the idea!