PDA

View Full Version : Two bucks in 4 minutes... (two part story)

Tarp Man
11-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Well after hunting last weekend in the pouring rain/blowing snow and coming up empty, my buddy (Lapadat) and I went out to see what sort of Blacktails we could find in a new to us area. As usual, packing up the stuff for an intense dayhike got the buck fever flowing, but with a healthy dose of skepticism. As Lapadat had done the homework on this area (as he usually does the lion's share of this) I agreed quickly that he would get first shot at a buck, if at all possible. Also the stipulations were ABSOLUTE SECRECY and big bucks only. As I was still waiting to shoot my first buck, I was happy to comply with this. Any day out with Lapadat usually means a good chance to see animals.

So the alarm sounds when dawn is dark and early, and the stealth mode gets a work out in an attempt to finish final packing and not wake the sleeping wife. Never a good idea to fail at this spot and stalk! Success arrives with Lapadat on time as usual and me out the door already tasting the morning's traditional hunting double double. Little did I know, things came in doubles today. So, thermos filled, coffee mugs brimming full and we are on the way.

We arrive at the designated spot, quickly throw on our packs, prepare the rifles and head into the forest. (I love the anticipation of the unknown, heading into a new area bursting with potential). We slowly make our way through the first 30 minutes of easy but cautious hiking, and then begin to climb. A lot. And steep. It is at this point that the inner voice takes over...

"Why do you always have to bring that extra margin of safety gear? It has to add at least 5lbs of weight to your pack. You know you can't do the math to how much extra weight that adds up to on every step. It's only a day hunt. Do you REALLY need all that gear? Come on, keep going, Lapadat is pulling away. You aren't gonna get dropped by THAT guy are you? Whoa, watch that slick rock. You know you are going to burst into tears like a little school girl if you bang up your rifle. Not to mention that if you fell RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT you might not stop sliding for a good 30 seconds. 10lbs. At least that much in extra safety gear. I gotta go through my survival gear and lighten up... should have done more cardio training this fall. Stupid job, why does it always get in the way of keeping in hunting/hiking shape?"

Anyways you get the idea once you insert much puffing and huffing to keep the oxygen flowing. Liberally interspersed with drinking greedily from the water pack hose.

After climbing for an hour and a half we stop and decide to start traversing across this rediculously steep slope along some heavily used game trails. Now as soon as we start this we see lots and lots of sign. That is encouraging as the frustration factor exponentially climbs as I do and don't see animals. Especially carrying my rifle. If my tikka comes out of the safe in hard hunting conditions, it better be cause we are gonna see some ANIMALS. (As you probably can tell, I tend to baby the tikka a bit... Lapadat, no laughing now).

We decide to space ourselves out a bit, but keep within eyesight. This puts me a bit behind Lapadat and slightly uphill from him. We walked for maybe 15 minutes this way before Lapadat freezes and motions for me to stand still. (Why does this ALWAYS happen when I am on one foot? Without fail I am stuck trying to balance on one leg and bring my other down with out snapping a stick or falling on my keester.Kind of like at a restaurant when the server comes to your table and asks how everything is when you just took a huge bite of something.) I slowly sink to one knee and ready my rifle. I already unsnapped the chest strap on my pack and am waiting to drop my pack if Lapadat sees a shooter buck. He raises his rifle after motioning he sees antlers, and I mutter under my breath "It better be big" because I know he won't shoot a spiker this early in the hunt and this far from the vehicle. At least he better not... Lapadat slowly stands up, peeking over the edge of the ridge we had come to and...

BOOOOM... Lapadat shoots, I drop my pack and start scanning the woods cause I can hear crashing above and in front of me. I quickly walk over to where Lapadat is and holler "Where is he?" He quickly tells me he peeked over the edge of this ridge and saw a buck coming down towards him, maybe 40 yards uphill from him. The only shot he had was a quartering towards him and he wasn't sure how well he hit him. He knew he hit him in the base of the neck, but the buck rolled downhill from us and out of sight over a cliff. Not good. We quietly celebrated with a large portion of skepticism on the part of Lapadat on how well he hit him. We decide to mark the shot and wait for a few minutes before trailing the buck. Then came the understatment of the day. "You better keep your rifle handy, cause there may be another buck around and they are hornier than... that buck walked right down towards me." We grin like idiots and pause for a moment. Then Lapadat ruins the moment and says, "there's another deer!" He pulls up his binos and starts pleading, "grow antlers, grow antlers... its a doe. Maybe there is a buck behind her? HOLY CRAP there is a huge buck coming!"

Well I had already gotten on one knee with my hand resting against a tree for a rest and was waiting to see what was coming down the trail. I quickly find the doe through the trees and she is booking it right down towards us. She walked within 10 yards of the two of us smelly sweaty hunters. I think she had seen enough and was running for some peace and quiet if you know what I mean.

THEN I spot the buck who was chasing that sweet little blacktail... "What do you mean 'you have a headache'? don't you know what time of year it is? I have been running all over this steep hillside looking for a sweet little something just like you! Come on... I even rubbed a cedar tree. I smell GREAT!"

Tarp Man
11-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Part Two
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Somehow through his hormone crazed pea brain, he spots Lapadat just off the trail and pauses... "Did that doe just walk past a hunter? Doe? Did someone just say 'Doe'? MUST CHASE DOE... MUST CHASE DOE". Down he comes through the timber until he is within 20-30 yards from us and where the first buck was shot. Lapadat grunts at him (which aparently sounds JUST like another rutting buck:lol: . This provides the perfect pause in his stride and....

BOOOM! The tikka speaks! DOWN he goes, and slides to a stop propped against a tree, less than 10 yards from where I shot! Then the hooting and hollering REALLY gets going! Two shooter blacktail bucks, four minutes and 10 yards apart. First one at 0937, second one at 0941. The magnitude of what I just accomplished slowly settles in. It is still settling in as I type. My first buck, a blacktail no less. Turns out to be a decent 3 point. Nice heavy bases, and wierd point pattern on the tines. You can see in the pictures the one side branches for two points and the back tine is a single. On the opposite side the back branch splits and the front tine is single. Kinda cool.

After the cutting of the tag and picture session, we decide to dress my buck out first and then go find Lapadat's buck. (There was no threat of rain so we knew the blood trailwould last for 30 mins easy).

We started cutting blood sign right away, and followed this down to the cliff we thought the buck went over. Fortunately, the buck went beside the cliff and stopped 50 yards under the cliff in a nice flat spot. Perfect for dressing on a steep mountainside. Lapadat cut his tag and I took some more pictures for him. (That's three 4 point blacktail bucks, one of which is a 140 class buck, in two years for Lapadat for those of you keeping score. You all may pause and offer grudging words of respect for the work this takes). We dress this buck out and form a plan of dragging out over a nice snack of moose sausage. 8)

We decide it is still too far from the vehicle to drag out one and come back for the other. We each take our own deer and begin our way down the mountain. It is at this juncture that I realize the downside of shooting a bigger buck when there is a lot of dragging to do.

After a sketchy decent of about an hour, we make it to the last flat stretch and realize how much nicer a 50-60 degree slope is for dragging deer:) . That last 500 yards or so was some of the toughest work I've ever done. Haying in 40 degree heat with 100lb bales is child's play compared to that last drag. We finally get the deer to the vehicle and quickly load up. What a relief to pop open the thermos and pour out some steaming hot double double and toast our success. My first buck (a solid three point blacktail) and Lapadat's third four point blacktail. Not bad work for a Saturday morning8-) .

Lapadat's Four point buck: shot at 0937 with Sako Finnlight 30/06 165gr Federal Premium TSX bullet at approx 40 yards. Entry point just in front of the right shoulder, exit point just behind the right shoulder (yes, that adds up to a sharp left hook with little meat damage).

Tarp Man's Three point buck: shot at 0941 with Tikka T3 30/06 150gr Winchester Silvertip bullet at 20-30 yards. Entry point back edge of the right shoulder, no exit point. (This is the first time I have shot game with the 150gr Silvertip. I probably won't use them again due to a fair bit of meat damage on the shoulder. It was an experiment, what can I say. I have hummed and hawwed over bullet selection for a long time. It changes week to week. I still have not settled on my "bullet of choice" as I wanted to try something other than the hordes that have converted to Barnes Triple X Bullet.)

All in all a great hunt. It is fitting that I shoot my first buck beside Lapadat. He got me going in my hunting career, and this spot was because of his hard scouting work. I have to mention the true gratitude I feel for this opportunity. He deserves the hall of fame for hunting partners for many reasons. One of which is his willingness to share secret spots. Another is his willingness to pick me up and drop me off at my condo. One vehicle (and a four door sedan at that), doesn't make for a great hunting opportunities without him.

Both deer were shot in region 2, and a lot of hard hiking away from any road. As for the skeptics among us, they are most definitly blacktail bucks. (Feel free to read that last sentence again if you are still in doubt). Any more specifics will have to come from Lapadat, and methinks he will be less forthcoming with those than I. He will also post the pictures as they are on his camera. (The one time I decide I didn't want that extra weight).

Remember, pictures are on the way...

ellellbee
11-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Great story, well written..... WHERE'S THE PICS? LAPADAT!

Will
11-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Nice ! Well Done 8)

gearjunkierob
11-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey, right on guys! A well written story - can't wait to see the pics.

bsa30-06
11-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Tarp Man, you should write for a hunting magazine excellent story and congrats to both of you.Looking forward to the pics.

lapadat
11-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Here are the pics

#1 Tarpman and his FIRST ever Blacktail - a heavy 3x3
#2 My second 06 4x4 Blacktail

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_842.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3732)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_845.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3733)

Darren
11-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Nice Bucks and awesome story!

~T-BONE~
11-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Congradulations gentlemen! Both very respectable bucks!!! I wish I was so lucky even to see a couple of descent bucks like those this year. Well I guess there is a couple of weekends left yet around here! Way to go boys!!8)

Caveman
11-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Wow!! a couple of beauty Blacktails

Mr. Dean
11-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Fantastic. Both are nice animals.

3kills
11-19-2006, 10:41 PM
good story and bucks....

Ovis17
11-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Congrats on two fine blacktails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

livingston
11-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Great story,two beautiful blacktail bucks and your first as well can't beat the double double:)

BANG!
11-19-2006, 11:08 PM
great write up TarpMan ... and two fine animals on the ground too.

cheers!

mainland hunter
11-19-2006, 11:36 PM
i agree with bsa, you should write for a hunting mag. good story nice bucks, congrats

Marc
11-20-2006, 06:35 AM
Those are awsome blacktail bucks, just goes to show that if you put the effort and time in to get away from the roads there is still great hunting to be had.

Marc.

Elkhound
11-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Congradulations gentlemen! Both very respectable bucks!!! I wish I was so lucky even to see a couple of descent bucks like those this year. Well I guess there is a couple of weekends left yet around here! Way to go boys!!8)

Cannot add anything to this. Congrats again.

stanway
11-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Wow! Great story and great bucks! You guys worked hard for those two.

Congrats!

:mrgreen:

Nimrod
11-20-2006, 06:30 PM
beautiful bucks... really nice, extra sweet when you work for them...good job.

dawn2dusk
11-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Great read and nice bucks. Thanks for post. Cant wait to get out this weekend.

Dieseldog6
11-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Very nice blacktail bucks! Especially compared to my first Blacktail ever from Galiano Island this year.

You're proving that us Region 2 dwellers don't have to drive for 4 hours to get into good deer territory. As long as you're willing to hike in off the roads (which I most certainly am).