PDA

View Full Version : anyone else hear this or know more about it

kootenayhunter270
08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
So over the last few months i have heard from a few people now that a bull elk on its first antler growth that is only a spike will not end up being a breading herd bull but if it is a fork horn on its first growth it will be the breading herd bull once it reaches maturity. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Ourea
08-29-2012, 09:23 PM
There is no light needed.
Absolute poppy cock.
Speculative, unsubstantiated, pure opinion, no data to support, no science.
Sorry to be blunt.

Jehiah
08-29-2012, 09:33 PM
The smaller antlered elk find a way to lay just like the ugly folk we know. And as for their abilities to become a "herd bull" I suppose it would all depend on the competition in the neighbourhood.

Hillbros_96
08-29-2012, 10:13 PM
There has been studies in whitetails and it has been found that if a buck is a spikes in his first year, he will not grow larger then a 3 point. If he is a former, then he will be 4 point or larger. I have seen this in my trail camera pictures over the years as well as i have witnessed the local heard grow over the years. I would suspect that the elk would be similar, but the size of the antlers would not mean that they did not have what it takes to be a herd bull. There are some large 5 point bull elk out there that would give a 6 point a run for their money. Body size is more the issue when dominance comes into play versus antler size.

kootenayhunter270
08-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks guys i thinks its a bunch of bs but just wanted to hear what other people had to say. Good luck hunting this year!!!

MRBucks
08-30-2012, 07:57 AM
So i guess the old saying, "It's not size that counts, but knowing how to use it" is true!

I presume they were talking about antlers..lol:smile: