PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for trout in the Vancouver area

wildcatter
08-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Any fisherman on here?
I would much appreciate some info on trout fishing, a German friend coming to visit and would like to catch some trout.
I am not much of a fisherman, but asked to take him out somewhere and would like to make his trip as much fun as possible.
Even up around Pemberton would be good too.
Thanks

BCMarc
08-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Be a bit of a challenge to find really good trout fishing around Vancouver. When is your guest visiting and what type of fishing (fly fishing, trolling) do you expect to be doing?

recoil
08-29-2012, 05:54 PM
A day trip up around merritt may be in order, not much more driving time than Pemberton. Locally i would suggest Skagit river/ross lake. If nothing else produces try carpenter ant patterns. Catch and release only, bring bug dope.

wildcatter
08-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Be a bit of a challenge to find really good trout fishing around Vancouver. When is your guest visiting and what type of fishing (fly fishing, trolling) do you expect to be doing?

He will be here next week and either trolling or spin casting.
Thanks Marc

wildcatter
08-29-2012, 05:59 PM
A day trip up around merritt may be in order, not much more driving time than Pemberton. Locally i would suggest Skagit river/ross lake. If nothing else produces try carpenter ant patterns. Catch and release only, bring bug dope.

Thanks, maybe that's the way to go.

Jason Melo
08-29-2012, 06:06 PM
You could also try mike lake in golden ears park or rolley lake also in maple ridge.... Good trout fishing inboth those lakes!!!

bc sportsman
08-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Purchase the Southwestern BC Fishing Guidebook. Has all the lakes listed along with exact location, directions on finding them and how productive they are at different times of the year.

BCMarc
08-29-2012, 06:59 PM
He will be here next week and either trolling or spin casting.
Thanks Marc

The others are probably right. A day trip to Merritt or Kamloops area might be a good idea. There are a ton of lakes around Merritt, and Logan Lake produces some nice fish and is often over looked with it being right in town. We were pulling 3 to 5 pounders out of there last weekend. Granted we were fishing chironomids, but I have heard you can do ok trolling leaches and some other wet flies there as well. Electric motor or rowing only.

fuzzybiscuit
08-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Twelve years ago I fished out Port Moody way at Buntzen and Sasamat Lakes. I was at B.C.I.T. doing a machinist apprenticeship and I'd head out that way after class to do a little "fishing". I only caught a few small trout while fishing from shore, but it was summer and the sights made up for the lack of fish.:-P

wos
08-29-2012, 07:12 PM
like fuzzy said sasamat lake but carry a cartopper or canoe to the watter the best trout fishing to be had in greater Vancouver.

wildcatter
08-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys, will get the fishing guide book, Sasamat and Golden Ears sounds good.

specbelly
08-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Why not take him to the Serpintine or Nick for early Springs and Coho, there will also be lots of Cutties around

oclarkii
08-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Check out the FFSBC's website - lots of info on urban fishing if you're wanting to stay close to the LM. Also access to stocking reports for any laked stocked in the province.
http://www.gofishbc.com/where-to-fish/city-fishing.aspx