PDA

View Full Version : Please help with Garmin GPS

HOYTHUNTER
08-28-2012, 07:07 PM
So i just baught a Garmin GPSMAP 62 and the Backroad Maps sd card for Vancouver island and am now having a hard time getting the map uploaded to the unit. if any one could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance

Buck
08-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Do you have the Micro SD card in the GPS?If you do you should be able to pick it as your mapsource in settings.Need more info

Davey Crockett
08-28-2012, 07:56 PM
I am assuming that you have put the card in the slot... :) i have noticed with garmins, large maps are taxing on the cpu in the gps and if you dont have good batteries in it, the map may not load or may partially load. Do you have fresh batteries?

There is a chance that the card is damaged and/or the files are corrupt. I dont have the backroads card myself but I'm guessing that it may be possible to open this file using garmin basecamp on your comp. Failing that, you could look to see if the files even exist using windows explorer.

HOYTHUNTER
08-28-2012, 08:04 PM
There is no sd slot in the garmin gpsmap 62. I just finished uploading the backroads map book on to MapSourse on my computer, just dont know how to get it transfered over to the gps unit

TESKELLY
08-28-2012, 08:14 PM
The Micro SD card spot is under the batteries. Was it a Micro SD backroads map card or a full size SD card you bought?

TESKELLY
08-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Also try reading here:

http://backroadmapbooks.com/GPS/GPS_SD_Installation.html

HOYTHUNTER
08-28-2012, 08:27 PM
i have the GPS MAP 62 not the 62s theres no slot in the 62

TESKELLY
08-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Ah then you have a problem cause I don't think the Micro SD cards are made for the 62. They are read only I believe to be used in the card slotted versions of the Garmins. You should have bought the CD version of your software. If you were able to save a copy of the maps on the mapsourse then you might be able to download them to your unit but you might not be able to download the whole card just a few selected areas. Click on the map tool and select a block or two on the map which will then turn pink I believe and then hit the send to device button. A box will pop up and you will then have to wait to make sure your computer is recognizing your unit. When it does make sure to check off maps under what to send and hit go.

HOYTHUNTER
08-28-2012, 08:56 PM
ok ill give that a go and see how it works

HOYTHUNTER
08-28-2012, 08:59 PM
ok so i just gave that a try and it comes up on the unit " cannot unlock maps"

TESKELLY
08-28-2012, 09:06 PM
I think I remember that happening to me. I believe you need to register your software on their website before you will be able to use the maps. You should have a registration code with your sd card in the case it came in. Or it means the card is definitely read only and your hooped. But I'm leaning more towards the registration thing if my memory serves me correct.

TESKELLY
08-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Open mapsourse again and select Utilities at the top and then manage map products then select your backroads mapbook then on the right select unlock online. Then follow the directions and input your special code.