PDA

View Full Version : rock creek christian/kettle valley/ 8-14 opening day

NEEHAMA
08-28-2012, 10:25 AM
used to hunt the christian valley years ago opening day
looking for WT meat bucks. since this new GOS WT doe season
are the numbers way way down in that area?

if it wasn't a 6 hour drive i'd scout it out a bit..

anybody been up that way recently? damfino? 4th july? fiva creek? rendell ?

PM me back , really appreciate it!

NaStY
08-28-2012, 01:07 PM
While we can all appreciate a good deal, company's need to refer there advertising request to Marc for approval.

doubled
08-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Will be busy up there. They have logged alot up there so will be interesting to see how it plays out.

shadow1982
08-28-2012, 01:11 PM
it was packed last year opening day... i am going again this year but mostly becasue love camping there

Elkaholic2010
08-28-2012, 01:13 PM
The usual gong show. Def seeing less deer around this year after the doe seasons came into effect.

Moosehunter64
08-28-2012, 03:59 PM
We were up at Damfino last year and got 3 whitetails during the doe open around the 17th 2 doe`s and one small 4 point.I have hunted there for years and last year was the worst year for mule deer up there that I have ever seen.And they were logging a lot last year had to avoid a lot of areas maybe that was the reason for the lack of mulies.

yota
08-28-2012, 11:55 PM
I was up in the rock creek area a couple of weeks ago and were we usually count lots of mulies we only saw 2 but we did manage to see 14 white tail and one nice buck that I couldn't get a count on points cause he was moving to fast through the bush. The numbers up there have defiantly declined but the animals are there. Also saw 6 grouse and also saw a set of very large bull elk tracks that were very fresh. This was all seen in 1 evening and a morning drive showing my girlfriend our old hunting grounds and do a little fishing on our way back from our trip to grand forks for a wedding.

The Dude
08-29-2012, 01:19 AM
If they're opening any WT Doe GOS, then it's to knock the numbers down, and help out the Mulw deer, so have at 'er and fill the freezer while you can! :D

aliagha
08-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Deer population in Southern Okanagan is stable and doing well. Lots of crown land, logging roads and hunters! If you are planning on hunting the area in early sept then try to go out on a not so hot day. Lots of Does and bucks to fill the freezer. There is a lot of hunting pressure in the area, deer doesn't stay in one spot for long, so keep moving! cover as much area as possible and you will connect on a nice whitetail!

604redneck
08-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Im still seeing lots of deer

NEEHAMA
08-30-2012, 10:33 AM
well that is good to hear! i just hope it's not 33 degrees out next opening day.....
any ditch chickens out there in that neck of the woods? i see oudles of grouse up in PG
but not alot around my cabin in Tulameen... : (

bearguy
08-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Lots of whitetail if you sit on a good blind - good trail. Wife and I were up there 6 days last year, ( Rendal area ) wife got a 3 pt W.T buck and a WT doe and I took a wt doe from a blind just off the main road. Didn't see many Muleys. Passed up two tiny Muley spikers hoping for something better but didn't happen.
I found the best way to hunt WT's is to sit on a blind and to cover as much area as you can for the Mulies.

Jimmy4x4
08-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Reports of "fewer deer since the doe G.O.S." are wrong. Spring counts this year and last year in the C.V. are bang on average levels, levels which had no doe G.O.S. for 25 years. There has been no change in the population since the doe season was opened. Very few hunters understand the ability of whitetailed deer to withstand increased harvest. Maybe crappy hunters just like to blame someone else for their lack of success.

NEEHAMA
08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
nice that is what i was hoping to hear! now i'm pumped to go hunting!
(and yes if i get skunked i will use that as my excuse) hahahaha
thanks guys!

Moosehunter64
08-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Use to be 300 whitetail doe draws in 8-14 so maybe there really hasn`t been an increase in the doe harvest.

CRS
08-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Does don't open till Oct.....

huntingmom
08-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Just came back from Christian Valley area. Toured lots of country side and I'm sad to say that in last 9 days I only saw one mule deer doe. Saw 7 grouse and 5 rabbits. We won't be going up there for a deer hunt. One doe in nine days putting over 50 km a day on our machines (atv's) is pretty pathetic. We'll probably heading up to William's lake area for a deer hunt.