PDA

View Full Version : Peace Region opening day moose.

Islandbowhunter
08-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Went up to the Peace region with my Father a couple weeks ago for opening day. Spent the day before doing some scouting; found a nice lick and a couple of drinking ponds. Early evening opening day I managed to catch a nice bull coming to take a drink. 504 pounds dressed weight, head and lower limbs off. Good eats.

Family ate stuffed roast moose heart for two days, then a few days worth of moose-heart stew!!!

Been super busy since. Returning to Peace for work and whitetails! Maybe an Elk?

Story and pics when I get to next rest stop.

What an amazing start to the season!

pappy
08-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Sounds like a good time was had.

buckshot
08-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Hurry with the pictures! Starving for moose hunting stories over here. September 25th can't come fast enough!

4 point
08-28-2012, 08:50 AM
I hate success stories like this.......unless it would be me. Nice going looking forward to pictures & story.

Islandbowhunter
08-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys, I call it the full-circle hunt. First time back to my birthplace in 31 years; Dad was a moose hunter, he fed us wild game...so to bag one on our first and probably last moose hunt together was incredibly special.

Brett
08-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Nice>>>>>>>>>>>>>

coach
08-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Well done, IBH! Congratulations.

markt308
08-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Hey Congrats Jason that's awesome man! looking forward to seeing some nice pics

thunderheart
08-28-2012, 12:05 PM
aaahhhhh very nice you and your pop could spend the time together

anethema
08-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah this area is fantastic. Just moved here and could probably shoot a Moose every day the whole season if I had a basket full of tags. Not all trophies but good eatin!

This was my first two days of moose season around here:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?85322-Great-Moose-hunt-near-dawson-creek!

fearnodeer
08-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Congrats to you and your Dad, look forward to the pics and more pics of your future adventure.

Piperdown
08-29-2012, 07:17 AM
NEED PICS, and yes I was yelling :)

Islandbowhunter
08-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Sorry guys, on the the road right now so pics will have to wait...

Thanks for all the congratulating!!!

moose2
08-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Great job on the moose, I am looking forward to the pictures.
Mike

Islandbowhunter
09-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Dad had decided to hunker down in the grass near where we had sighted the Bull Moose that opening morning. There was still around two and a half hours before light started to fade, and I was feeling restless on my first moose hunt. I told my father that I wanted to go for a walk to look at the mud crossing and the two drinking swamps. He said that would be okay, but to return before it started getting dark so we wouldn’t miss one coming to the lick.

I started down the cut line, walking as quietly as possible. It had rained two days previous, so the grass was softer. But there were still dry branches that now and again would remind me how graceless a forest-dweller I truly was. I made my way to the end of the cut where it opened up into a three-way intersection. I thought that I might turn the corner to the right and see a moose making the mud-crossing where we had hiked yesterday.

There were a lot of tracks in the gumbo the day before, but unfortunately this evening revealed an empty path down to the back fields. Feeling no discouragement, I suspected that if I continued to the two drinking swamps I might be able to sneak up on something. I looked at the sky, only a few clouds and they were just beginning to take on that beautiful pink colour that hints of dusk. I was thinking to myself that if I were a bull moose, I would be looking at the same sky, probably feeling much the same feeling, and would be inclined to mosey over to the drinking pools for a little evening refreshment.

I made my way along the trail, stealthily inching along. It was like trying to walk quietly down a marble hallway lined with Pringles. I was glassing the field ahead of me every so often, just in case I should spot a moose in the cut lines along the field’s periphery. I continued this way until I was just cresting the hill leading down to the drinking pools. I raised my binoculars to my eyes again, but this time it was different. Filling up my lenses was a moose, and not an altogether small one. I was incredulous; I couldn’t believe what I was actually staring at. As I was looking, the moose decided to lift its head and turned to look in my direction. At that time there was no doubt that I was staring at a bull moose! It looked like the same one we had seen that morning without a shooting opportunity.

My heart was pounding in my throat, making a noise that reminded me of a taiko drum. I’m sure it wasn’t quite that loud, but believe me it sure felt like it.
I stayed still and quiet, hoping that the bull wouldn’t bust me. Fortunately, he turned back to take another drink. I looked all around me to see if I might find a good natural rest for my rifle, to take the longer shot. To my left presented a small pile of old aspen trees and brush, not the safest option due to the amount of noise it would make. To my right was an aspen with a branch growing out of it at just the right height and angle...but unfortunately I would have blown my cover if I decided to try and get there. It was at that point I decided to try and close a little more distance, so I slowly went down to prone to gather myself and cover a few yards before taking the shot.

I took off my binoculars, and plastered myself against the ground. I couldn’t see the bull because of the grade of the hill and the fact that there was some vegetation on the trail between us. I slowly started to creep forward...first an arm, then a leg, all the while feeling that I was about to lose the best hunting opportunity in my lifetime due to my human gracelessness. Every time I moved I could hear brush scratching, breaking, and revealing to the bull my location.

I took a look through my scope, but there was a large piece of scrub brush in the way. I thought that might be a good thing as I covered a few more yards as cautiously and quietly as I could. By the time I had a decent view of the moose through my scope, he had definitely heard something, as he was once again looking up in my direction. This time he seemed more alert, poised to bolt into the bush just a mere fifteen yards away to the left of the pond. He was facing right taking a drink, but was now standing upright looking dead-on. I knew then that I had only two options: take the shot, or watch this beautiful Bull Moose walk away into the bush. By the time I had decided that I could take a humane shot, he had decided to turn to the left and was seriously considering walking into the sticks.

I gathered myself up into a sitting position, as I had not quite cleared the scrub brush that was in my line of sight. I braced myself using the leather sling on my 7mm Wby, and focused my concentration down to that Zen-like place I seem to operate in the few seconds before taking the shot. The earth stood still, all breathing paused...CRACK!!! My trusty old Weatherby barked out a loud snapping report. I regained my sight picture...no moose!

In my mind played two scenarios: I had either connected and the moose had made it into the woods, or I had botched the shot and missed entirely. I waited and listened, then heard a crash from just inside the woods to my left. Moose down! I really don’t remember the entire sequence of events from that point forward, as I was absolutely over the moon with my first moose. I must have grabbed the casing as force of habit when I re-chambered another round, as later that evening I found it in my pants pocket.

I quickly made my way down the hill to the pond where the moose had been drinking, and started walking to the left over a series of dirt piles to where the trail into the woods started...and there he was! There was no ground shrinkage on this guy; it was truly an impressive animal. I’m not hunting for trophies, as they say antlers don’t taste very good. But this was a trophy to me, a nice three-year old bull with a nice set of velvet antlers. Now there would be good meat for my family and friends for the next season! I removed my hat and took a knee out of respect for the death of this magnificent creature, giving its life to sustain ours.

I was sure that my father had heard the report, but to let him know that he should come and find me I let two go in quick series. He arrived moments later, so I knew he had heard the first report and decided to come and see what was happening.

I have never seen my father so happy before, I could tell that this moment meant a lot more than simply harvesting a moose. I believe to him it was a passing of the torch, a feeling of accomplishment and release, knowing that his son could bring home a moose and provide for himself and his family. We shared a rare embrace, while letting years of misunderstanding pass us by as so much water under a bridge. Now as anybody who has hunted big game knows, “the fun stops when the animal drops.” So it was off to work with the field dressing of the animal. Even in this messy business lies communion between a father and a son.

Islandbowhunter
09-12-2012, 01:45 PM

Here's a picture of our moose. HBC hat of course :)

quadrakid
09-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Great story and congrats to you,first moose is something!!

kennyj
09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Nice! Some good eats there.
kenny

kako99
09-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Congrats! Great story. Can't wait for my moose hunt in oct.

Marc
09-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Good going Jason, I didn't realize you were off the Island.

Islandbowhunter
09-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks guys!

@Marc: No, more like on and off the Island. Going up to the Peace again for Elk (and a bit of work).