PDA

View Full Version : Getting Sheep Shape

bc sportsman
08-28-2012, 02:44 AM
So what do the sheep hunters on this site do to get in shape for a hunt?

Hoping to go on a fly-in or hike-in next year. My first time for sheep. Have been slowly increasing my workouts for the past 2 months and gently losing weight. Lost 3" around the gut but only about 5 lbs in weight. However, I have 12 months left to go to loose 60 lbs.

I'm thinking the common sense stuff is do core strength workouts like squats, dead-lifts, etc, and supplement with aerobics using elliptical or stair climber to save the knees. And as often as possible, strap on the pack and boots and go for hike/climb increasing your pack weight over time. Get the pack up to 60 lbs. Should I go heavier (with the pack I mean)? If I get a sheep, how much should I expect to pack on the way out? There will be two of us on the trip. Maybe even three.

Am I missing something? Is there something else that you guys recommend I do to get ready for next year?

yukon john
08-28-2012, 07:02 AM
So what do the sheep hunters on this site do to get in shape for a hunt?

Hoping to go on a fly-in or hike-in next year. My first time for sheep. Have been slowly increasing my workouts for the past 2 months and gently losing weight. Lost 3" around the gut but only about 5 lbs in weight. However, I have 12 months left to go to loose 60 lbs.

I'm thinking the common sense stuff is do core strength workouts like squats, dead-lifts, etc, and supplement with aerobics using elliptical or stair climber to save the knees. And as often as possible, strap on the pack and boots and go for hike/climb increasing your pack weight over time. Get the pack up to 60 lbs. Should I go heavier (with the pack I mean)? If I get a sheep, how much should I expect to pack on the way out? There will be two of us on the trip. Maybe even three.

Am I missing something? Is there something else that you guys recommend I do to get ready for next year?

A thinhorn sheep, full body cape, head, 4 quarters, ribs, backstraps and tenderloins will weigh between 105-120 lbs
I think 60 lbs is lots for training, anymore and its a lot of wear and tear on your joints and back. When you pack a sheep off by yourself you hurt for a few days. Good luck!

vip_ruger
08-28-2012, 07:37 AM
I hike bleachers with loaded pack and that way u get up and down I start about a month before season and do it three times a week until I go hunting seems to work well

decker9
08-28-2012, 07:48 AM
I golf alot during summer time, 4,5,6 times a week somtimes. I always make my golf bag about 40 lb, add rocks, soup cans, watter bottles exc. Works good for me, happy huntin!

pappy
08-28-2012, 08:54 AM
In the past I have hiked local hills with my pack, used to pack my 50 lb mountain bike up hill and ride down. I never really did anything this year except a scouting trip that was about 35 kilometer hike on the sikanni trail (mostly flat hiking) with my loaded pack. I was sore for a day and a half. I'm heading north in two weeks so I'm gonna start working out again. Some guys say pack water up hill and empty at the top so the hike down is easier on your knees, I read about the "6 minute work out" Find a hill that takes about 6 mins to hike up and down. At the bottom don't take a rest, just do as many push ups in one set as you can. Then go back up the hill right away. Do this for an hour every second day so your body can recover inbetween. Each time you should be able to do more push ups and one more trip on the hill in the hours time. A 50 year old guy wrote the piece on getting into sheep shape and he says he does the hill near his house around nine times and 45 push ups between each climb. Its a good way to kick your own ass, and if you want to stop for a break just think about how that old guy could kick your ass up and down that hill cause your out of shape :)

4 point
08-28-2012, 09:01 AM
To loose 60 pounds and keep it off long term you'll have to change your diet not just do all the exercise. Cut out the bat fats ( trans completly & way down on saturated) big time. Eat the right foods in limited quantities 3-5 times a day. I lost 55 pounds and have now kept it off for 4 years. Went from size 40 to 34 pants. It takes very hard work and goes against what is the norm in todays society to do it. Your family will have to understand and work with you espeacially if they are not to embrace your new nutrition style. Good luck with the weight loss and the sheep hunting next year.

bc sportsman
08-28-2012, 09:22 AM
thanks guys.

BiG Boar
08-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Don't forget to exercise your eyes. If you're not good at glassing, work on it. Good hard core glassing is key. The things are invisible often times at 500 yards with the naked eye.

redwards92
08-28-2012, 09:30 AM
www.bodybuilding.com

Search around the forums on that website it will help you lose that 60 lbs. Tons of information on that site.

Orangethunder
08-28-2012, 11:40 AM
A couple of things you may want to consider.

Training at elevation, it might sound corny but I think that if you can train at a similar elevation to that which you will be hunting the better off you are.

Train with the gear you will be hunting with. If backpack hunting is something relatively new this will help you figure out what kind of clothing, footwear and pack needs you have. Being comfortable and knowing your gear will make a trip so much more enjoyable. Not to mention having the peace of mind that all of your gear fits in your pack and you know you can carry it as far as you need to. I don't think you need to do this every time you train but its worth doing more than once.

Vary the intensity and duration of the sessions. Work your way up to some longer hikes if you can. Where I've hunted sheep in the past there have been some long slogs. You might put on 10-20kms a day depending on the area so having trained with similar distances would certainly help. Check out crossfit workouts, they are pretty good at building athleticism and overall fitness.

Diet is also crucial as mentioned. The body builders and other elite athletes pretty much have it dialed in. If you want good results you have to have a good clean diet. This will also help you determine your caloric needs for the hunt. While most of us come up well short you will know where you can and can't cut back for food.

Good luck!

Pioneerman
08-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Weight is a killer on joints and many other health conditions. I myself lost 165 lbs in 8 months in a very healthy way, and kept it off all those years now. Actually I help others get healthy and lose weight. You can do it easily and when you start dropping weight then start building muscle easier on your joints that way

Ron.C
08-28-2012, 12:44 PM
For Our elk/goat trip this Sept, my partners and I have been hiking at least three times a week, with other individual training in between. But you have to keep it fun and gainful or you will just loose interest over the long haul. Two of the guys look signifigantly "lighter" to say the least. I think the key is to do something you can maintain. Set a realistic goal wether it be weight loss, or a fitness milestone. Our reality check as a group was a 10km hike covering the elevation increase we will be hunting in with fully loaded packs, and being able to do so with gas left in the tank. We hit that about 4 weeks sooner then we had planned on. So everyone is going into it knowing what they are capable of.

Glassman
08-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Reduce your wheat consumption. I mean REALLY reduce. You will feel better and lose weight. Get on one those "Colon Cleanse's" for a week. Increase your berry consumption. If you live in the lower mainland, do the Grouse grind. Anywhere else, hike up a ski hill. After you have done that a couple of times put some of those "strap on" weights on your legs and arms. Start with just 5 pounds per leg and arm then progress to 10 lbs each leg/arm. Do that for a month. Then put on the back-pack with weight in it. And walk around at higher elevation to get your red cell blood count up. Eat lots of smaller meals, not a couple of big meals.
When I played semi-pro soccer in Calgary I used to run up and down the stairs at McMahon stadium to build leg strength. Really boring but really effective. Walking up the ski hill was way more fun, except when the cheer-leeders where there practicing.

bc sportsman
08-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks everyone...I too used to run stairs at stadiums and do a hard core workout program when I was in University. Your suggestions are good.

BromBones
08-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Have a look at some of the mixed martial arts workout programs out there - there is some really good stuff out there. John Hacklemans 'Pit Workout' is very good - all body weight exercises that build functional strength, muscle endurance, cardio, and flexibility. Combine a workout like that 3x per week with some loaded pack hiking to go with it and you'll be ready to go.

Whatever you go with, discipline with your exercise and diet is the key.

BCHunterTV
08-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Grouse Grind, hikes around Buntzen lake /Diaz Vista Loop is a good one..buy the book 101 hikes , . Gym/stepper/bike..etc

JIL_24/7
08-28-2012, 03:37 PM
A lot of these suggestions are awesome, but the problem I have is location and time. I can't drive to Grouse everyday, and living in the LM it's hard to take a hike. I have, however, found two things that help. First, I have an office in New West. If I go to the bottom of the hill at lunch time and give 'er I can get my heart rate up and gear my legs towards hiking. Second, I put the treadmill at a 15 degree angle (you can increase that by putting it on blocks) and walk at 6k for 2 minutes and then run at 10-12K for 1 minute off and on like that for 20 minutes and then go right into core work and circuit training for 40 minutes. One hour a day and I went on a good hike two weeks ago and never had to blink. The others guys were sore for days (they were in their early twenties I'm in my mid thirties), but I didn't feel a thing. It's the best I can do with three kids, a job and not living on a slope.

Ourea
08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Good on ya BCsportsman.
Just keep getting that heart rate up as often as you can, any way you can...be creative if the circumstances and environment are restrictive.
Nothing wrong with 2 a days..you will end up burning more calories this way as your metabolism stays at an elevated state longer than doing one single workout of the same time.

You get out what you put in...so eat right.
If someone didn't just pick it or kill it, chances are you shouldn't be eating it!
Good luck and we hope you reach your goal.

hunter1947
08-28-2012, 05:24 PM
I am no sheep hunter but an avid elk hunter my advice is put in 40 pounds of weight into your back pack find a mountain fairly steep being at least one thousand to two thousand feet in elevation go up this mountain 3 times a week for 6 weeks you will be in top shape..

When I lived in Langford just out side of Victoria I used to go up mount finlyson gold stream area I went to the top 4 times a week for two months to get in shape for EK elk hunting the elevation on this mountain was 1295 feet above sea I was in top shape year around I hiked up this mountain at 4am during summer months..

bensonvalley
09-09-2012, 07:53 AM
If you want to drop your weight, cut out as much sugar as possible. Seriously, i was always around 172 but really should be around 163/165, I work out lots but couldn't drop those last few lbs. I cut out all pop, candy, white bread, booze (except weekends), and then I watch all other products ex. flavoured yogurt; it's shocking how many grams of sugar are in our food. Anyhow, took two months but at 160lbs now. Cut out the sugar. Get your heart rate up several times per week, you'll be sailing up the hills.

Rubicon500
09-09-2012, 10:36 AM
No matter how good of shape you are in , after 18+ hours of a drving and a boat/plane ride if ya take that route you will be hating the first hour LOL. Mimic what your going to be hiking up north , find lots of hills with 50 lbs on your back and just get out and enjoy the training. Mountain hunting is a mental game , if you got it up top you can make your body do some intense feats. Dont worry about the heavy pack coming out , you'll be riding such an andrenaline high it will be puppy piss. I hunted with a guy who made 150+lbs in his pack look like a leisurely sunday stroll through the park , mind of matter , good luck with the weight loss !!

bc sportsman
09-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks everyone.

skibum
09-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Worried about saving your knees and planning on hitting squats? I love squats, but what I have found is one of the most important things to do when power lifting is to do mobility exercises. They are hard to find time to do, as you sometimes don't feel like you are working out, but the benefit of them is huge and they sure help the back stiffness out.

I have cut back a bit now on the power lifting to once a week or every second week and working on, I hate to say it, but some of those cross fit exercises.

swampthing
09-09-2012, 08:18 PM
I cut down to a 6 pack a night, only 2 servings at supper and walk the dog around the block with my pack on. No, it doesnt work that well.