PDA

View Full Version : New Pack

bc sportsman
08-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Plan on a first time sheep hunt next year. Been working at getting in shape, losing weight and all that other good stuff. And, just so that I can get some experience packing in and out etc, this season I plan on hiking in and climbing up into some sub alpine to hunt elk north of Hudson's Hope, set up a spike camp etc. Just got permission from my accounts manager (aka, 'my main squeeze') to buy a pack suitable for a 'fly-in and hike-a-lot' sheep hunt trip now rather than wait till next year. So, bought myself an Eberlestock Dragonfly pack with duffel bag add-on etc. to use on this hike-in so that I have some idea of what I'm up against next year.

Getting excited about this pack, should arrive in two weeks. Got it in Hide Open Western Slope camo. Camo looks very good and suitable for BC...good for both alpine and forest, green/brown/grey colours. Pack looks very versatile and tough. Anyone have any experience with this pack???

http://www.eberlestock.com/J107%20Dragonfly.htm

Now, if only I could learn to shoot straight!!

decker9
08-28-2012, 07:32 AM
My dad just bought one this summer, he used it on our sheep hunt at the beginning of the month. He really liked it besides the size issue. He had it packed for about 12 days and it was full! Weight was about 60lb, which it packed very well he did say, but there would have been no way to fit a sheep in it unless we left some other stuff under a tree tho. All in all he really liked the pack, just might be a little small for extended hunts like 10 day +

cheers, D9

Brambles
08-28-2012, 09:44 AM
My dad just bought one this summer, he used it on our sheep hunt at the beginning of the month. He really liked it besides the size issue. He had it packed for about 12 days and it was full! Weight was about 60lb, which it packed very well he did say, but there would have been no way to fit a sheep in it unless we left some other stuff under a tree tho. All in all he really liked the pack, just might be a little small for extended hunts like 10 day +

cheers, D9

Your either packing too much gear or your gear is too bulky, my Eberlestock packed all up still had lots of room

sakofinnlight
08-28-2012, 10:14 AM
I have been hunting with the smaller version of that pack (j34) I absolutely love this pack as it is a very comfortable size for a day pack.If I shoot something far away from the truck it unzips to a large pack that has the capabilities of hauling a buck out of the bush! I would reccoment eberlestock packs to all hunters.

WKCotts
08-28-2012, 11:25 AM
I have the same pack. make sure you add the super spike duffel to it. pack is unreal, taking it on my first sheep hunting trip next week, can't wait!!

J_T
08-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Your either packing too much gear or your gear is too bulky, my Eberlestock packed all up still had lots of room I have the Dragonfly as well. The thing to remember with these packs is they start off heavy when their empty. I'm not sold on the pack. I've used it extensively the past 4 years. But I think I still prefer an external frame.

bc sportsman
08-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Hey WestKootsCotts...I did get the super duffel bag. And J_T, you are right about starting out heavy empty. It's 8.5 lbs empty, maybe 8 lbs with the top compartment removed. Not worried about the day packing weight...just wanted something that as much as it is technologically possible, to day hunt with a reasonably light load but also pack with carrying heavy weight. I thought about external frames but this one had so many features that I couldn't resist it.

WKCotts
08-28-2012, 03:59 PM
anyone using the eberlestock water blatter? any good?

longstonec
08-28-2012, 04:31 PM
anyone using the eberlestock water blatter? any good?
I was going to ask the same the same thing. I have a 3L platypus bladder in my blue widow and it dosent fit all that well. Keep thinking about ordering the eberlestock specific bladder and always spend the money on something else.

Wild Images
08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Go to the accessories page of the Eberlestock site and order the extender straps. We did a double on rams last year, put the heavy stuff in close and the light stuff
in the spike duffle. Took one guy on each side to get the buckles done up, ordered the extenders as soon as we got home.
Pack handled the weight well ( legs were screaming though )

Tenacious Billy
08-28-2012, 05:16 PM
I picked up a MR 7500 this year and used it on a weekend goat hunt - compared to my old Wilderness Wanderer, it's a dream.

Ry151
08-29-2012, 12:16 AM
i have looked at this bag but what holds me back is when packing meat will the pack let it cool like an external pack and will you be able to clean it after packing out a quarter?

swampthing
08-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Great pack. I am a few years into mine. I use an underarmor water bladder I took out of one of their hydration packs. The hose off of my water filter fits right into the end of this bladder[after I pull off the bite valve] and makes fill ups a simple matter without trying to wrestle the bladder in and out of the pack. There is a couple different rainflys eberlestock offers for this pack. Make sure you get the ultralight one. The first one I bought was heavy.