PDA

View Full Version : Im a new guy.......with a question...

HunterOgi
08-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi guys im new to the site, love it so far! Lots of knowledgeable guys. I myself have been hunting and fishing for most of my life. I live in the okanagon where i do most of my hunting. As for my question:Is my son legally aload to hunt with his bow by himself? (He is 16 and has his core but not his PAL)
Thanks guys, best of luck to all for the upcoming season! :smile:

russm
08-27-2012, 09:18 PM
I believe so.

HunterOgi
08-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks russm and i guess i need to post a joke so here it is;

As an airplane is about to crash, a female passenger jumps up frantically and announces, “If I’m going to die, I want to die feeling like a woman''She removes all her clothing and asks, “Is there someone on this plane who is man enough to make me feel like a woman?”A man stands up, removes his shirt and says, “Here, iron this!” get's me evrey time ahaha ;)

markt308
08-27-2012, 09:42 PM
haha i like that one!

The Dude
08-27-2012, 09:46 PM
If he has his CORE, he needs to buy a Hunting license and deer tag, and he's good to go.
ust don't touch any firearms. :D

Ourea
08-27-2012, 09:49 PM
If he has his CORE, he needs to buy a Hunting license and deer tag, and he's good to go.
ust don't touch any firearms. :D

Dude....is ur "J" key not working. :???:

Bc Deer Hunter
08-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Hi guys im new to the site, love it so far! Lots of knowledgeable guys. I myself have been hunting and fishing for most of my life. I live in the okanagon where i do most of my hunting. As for my question:Is my son legally aload to hunt with his bow by himself? (He is 16 and has his core but not his PAL)
Thanks guys, best of luck to all for the upcoming season! :smile:
Welcome HunterOgi. I am 16 myself and hunt by myself with a bow a lot. Just make sure he has his liecense and tags, like the dude stated. Good luck.

HunterOgi
08-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Sorry i should have been more specific, since i dont have a bow and he does would it be ok to drop him off where he wants to go hunting then come back and pick him up, or do i have to stay with him will hes bow hunting? Sorry for the confusion.

lostindian
08-27-2012, 10:06 PM
no you don't have to stay with him if he is old enough to hunt/drive he is fine on his own just know where he is going to be and have a meet time !

HunterOgi
08-27-2012, 10:19 PM
no you don't have to stay with him if he is old enough to hunt/drive he is fine on his own just know where he is going to be and have a meet time !
Thanks man. This will be his first year im pumped!!

hunter1993ap
08-27-2012, 10:39 PM
i thought you needed to hunt with someone who was older than 18 until you were 18. where does it say you can hunt on your own with a bow if you are under 18? i always thought you needed to be within ear shout??

BearStump
08-27-2012, 11:34 PM
i thought you needed to hunt with someone who was older than 18 until you were 18. where does it say you can hunt on your own with a bow if you are under 18? i always thought you needed to be within ear shout??
no, you only need to hunt with an adult over 18 if you're hunting off of a junior license. if he has his core and his own license hes good to go. no PAL required for a bow.

Steeleco
08-28-2012, 12:05 AM

That only applies to youth using firearms. Till they are 18 and have their own PAL they must be under direct supervision. It's not a provincial hunting requirement it's a federal firearm requirement.

jjkelowna
08-28-2012, 02:44 AM
That only applies to youth using firearms. Till they are 18 and have their own PAL they must be under direct supervision. It's not a provincial hunting requirement it's a federal firearm requirement.
Actually, I am sad to say that BC requires unaccompanied hunters to be 18. Provincial requirement in BC is that "Hunters under the age of 18 must be accompanied and closely supervised while hunting by a person who is 18 years of age or older and who holds a hunting license". See page 8 of the Regs.

It doesn't matter if your boy wants to kill Bambi with a pointy stick or a bullet - he needs a licensed adult with him.

Kinda makes sense when you think about it.....

Jimmy4x4
08-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Actually, I am sad to say that BC requires unaccompanied hunters to be 18. Provincial requirement in BC is that "Hunters under the age of 18 must be accompanied and closely supervised while hunting by a person who is 18 years of age or older and who holds a hunting license". See page 8 of the Regs.

It doesn't matter if your boy wants to kill Bambi with a pointy stick or a bullet - he needs a licensed adult with him.

Kinda makes sense when you think about it.....

The correct answer, finally. I suggest that the op calls Stephen MacIver in Victoria 250 387-9767 and gets the confirmation he needs from someone who writes the rules. The rest of you better go take your C.O.R.E. again or at least read the regulations while you are on the shitter before opening day. It's pathetic how people don't bother to learn the regulations, and then wonder why the public gets a bad opinion of hunters, when all these stories appear in the media about poaching.

Steeleco
08-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Well who'd have thought!! I stand corrected. Bottom of page 7 and continued to top of page 8 in the new regs. Having only rifle hunted, it was never an issue. Doesn't mean we don't read the rules Jimmy!!

curt
08-28-2012, 07:50 AM
thats what I love about this site someone always knows the answer good job on the joke too here one for you........

A man walks into a bar, notices a very large jar on

the counter, and sees that it's filled to the brim

with $10 bills. He guesses there must be at

least ten thousand dollars in it. He approaches the

bartender and asks, "What's with

the money in the jar?"

"Well, you pay $10, and if you pass three tests, you

get all the money in the jar and the keys to a brand new Lexus."

The man certainly isn't going to pass this up,

so he asks, "What are the three tests?"

"You

gotta pay first," says the bartender, "those are the

rules."

So, after thinking it over a while, the man

gives the bartender $10 which he stuffs into the jar.

"Okay,"

says the bartender, "here's what you need to

do: First - You have to drink a whole quart of

tequila, in 60 seconds or less, and you can't make a face while doing

it."

"Second - There's a pit bull chained in the back

with a bad tooth. You have to remove that tooth with

your bare hands."

"Third - There's a 90-year old lady upstairs who's

never had sex. You have to take care of that

problem."

The man is stunned! "I know I paid my $10 - but I'm

not an idiot! I won't do it! You'd have to be nuts to drink

a quart of tequila and then do all those other

things!"

"Your call," says the bartender, "but,

your money stays where it is."

As time goes on, the man has a few more drinks

and finally says,"Where's the damn tequila?!"

He grabs the bottle with both hands and

drinks it as fast as he can. Tears stream down both cheeks - but he doesn't make

a face - and he drinks it in 58

seconds! Next, he staggers out the back door where he sees

the pit bull chained to a pole. Soon, the people inside the bar

hear loud growling, screaming, and sounds of a terrible fight

- then nothing but silence!

Just when they think that the man surely must be

dead, he staggers back into the bar. His clothes are ripped

to shreds and he's bleeding from bites and gashes all over

his body.He drunkenly says, "Now, where's that old woman

with the bad tooth?"

jjkelowna
08-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Well who'd have thought!! I stand corrected. Bottom of page 7 and continued to top of page 8 in the new regs. Having only rifle hunted, it was never an issue. Doesn't mean we don't read the rules Jimmy!!
I missed this little nugget a few years ago too and sent my 2 teenage boys for classes to get their youth POL so we could at least sit in different blinds - three guys hunting within arms reach is generally a recipe for getting absolutely NO DEER. Anyway, got everything done and even the firearms officer that did the telephone interview for the youth POL's remarked what a great idea it was to now be able to split up a bit when hunting the next season. It wasn't long before I was brousing the regs for something entirely different and realized we were still hooped! On the upside we have had a few laughs over the years with three of us trying to walk around "quietly" together in the bush and finding concealment big enough for the three of us to squeeze into. My oldest turned 18 in January, but his youth POL autoexpired on that date and we hadn't realized they have a short shelf life. He sent in his renewal to get his PAL in early August. I suspect it will be the three of us sitting on top of each other into the start of this season too - this time to conform to the firearms act - argh!!

Islander30
08-28-2012, 12:38 PM
This is the way I understand it as well. In fact a PAL has nothing to do with hunting, you only need a PAL to buy and own a rifle/shotgun or a non-restricted PAL to buy handgun. If you have a hunting license you can borrow a rifle or use a bow or whatever else, but not by yourself until you are 18.

Correction: upon reading the regulations again I see that although a PAL is not required to hunt with a rifle, it does say to refer to Canadian Firearm Centre for firearm carry regulations, where upon it says that an adult would need to be supervised with a rifle same as a youth.

Steeleco
08-28-2012, 01:31 PM
The "A" in P.A.L. means "Acquire" Borrowing a gun is a form of acquisition and thus requires a PAL. If the user of the gun is in close proximity, as in youth hunters. They don't need a PAL. If that person is an adult and wants to wander around while hunting with a buddy, they do need a PAL.

Anyone using a firearm of any kind if free to use said item without a PAL so long as a Licensed individual is "supervising"

markt308
08-28-2012, 02:01 PM
The "A" in P.A.L. means "Acquire" Borrowing a gun is a form of acquisition and thus requires a PAL. If the user of the gun is in close proximity, as in youth hunters. They don't need a PAL. If that person is an adult and wants to wander around while hunting with a buddy, they do need a PAL.

Anyone using a firearm of any kind if free to use said item without a PAL so long as a Licensed individual is "supervising"

the way I understand it is that you would need a PAL to buy and own gun, to buy ammo, or to transport a gun borowed or owned. I'm not so sure about meeting a buddy at your hunting spot, he lends you a gun and you must have a pal to walk the hills. I know I was wrong once before in my life so I guess I could be again! but this is just how I understand it.

jjkelowna
08-28-2012, 02:31 PM
You need a PAL (or POL) to walk the hills with a firearm unless your buddy with a PAL is within talking distance, and I don't mean via cell or radio. You don't have the course and the license, you better have someone hovering that has shown they know what they are doing. If you lend a gun to an unlicensed friend and don't stay on top of him, your (and his) ass will be grass if something happens. If you have a POL and are under 18, you can walk the hills unaccompanied but you would have lot of explaining to do if it was hunting season, cause the fact you have gun with you might lead one to believe you are hunting without an adult which is another no-no.

markt308
08-28-2012, 02:50 PM
yep you guys are right. here is some info from the gov website that describes it well!

Firearms RegulationsAs a resident of the province, you need a Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) or the new federal firearms licence (PAL or POL) in order to legally possess firearms in B.C.
The only exception to this is if you are being supervised (see below).
Firearms fall under the Criminal Code of Canada and are therefore regulated by the Federal Government, NOT the Government of British Columbia. All inquiries related to Canadian firearms regulations should be directed to the Canadian Firearms Centre (http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/).
As of January 1, 2001, the Wildlife Act will now accept a FAC, Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) or Possession-Only Licence (POL) for the purposes of carrying a gun in the bush. If you borrow a firearm you need a valid FAC or the new federal firearm licence (PAL, or POL) unless you are being supervised by someone who is legally allowed to have that firearm.
Note that in addition to the FAC or federal firearms licence, in order to hunt, you also need a hunting licence issued by the province.
If you are just carrying a rifle or shotgun in the bush, you must have a valid federal firearms licence.
The Federal Minors Permit is generally issued to youth in B.C. between the ages of 12 to 17 who need to use a firearm in an unsupervised situation. This occurs for youth that participate in biathlon competition. It is hard for the adult to supervise the youth while the youth is skiing through the woods.
Youth (ages 10 to 18 inclusive) who participate in hunting in B.C. must be accompanied by an adult (19 years or older) who holds a valid hunting licence and be accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of that person. Accompanied under the Wildlife Act means to remain in the company of the other person, able to see the other person without the aid of any device other than ordinary corrective lenses and able to communicate by un-amplified voice with that person.

fusion
08-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Now the confusion really starts. In the hunting regs you are a youth if under 18 years old. So if your 18 or older you should be able to hunt alone. According to federal firearms code you must be 19 to hunt unsupervised. Am I reading this correctly? it concerns me because I have a son that is 18 this hunting season. He does not qualify for the youth seasons- correct? He also does not qualify to hunt alone. Am I understanding this properly, or not?
Provincial hunting rules need to and should coincide with federal laws!

Islander30
08-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Your right and I stand corrected as well, upon reading the regulations again I see that although a PAL is not required to hunt with a rifle, it does say to refer to the Canadian Firearms Centre for firearm carry regulations, where upon it says that an adult would need to be supervised with a rifle same as a youth if he does not have his own PAL. This is not how it was explained to me when I took the CORE, however I had my PAL before taking the CORE so I may have misunderstood.

jjkelowna
08-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Now the confusion really starts. In the hunting regs you are a youth if under 18 years old. So if your 18 or older you should be able to hunt alone. According to federal firearms code you must be 19 to hunt unsupervised. Am I reading this correctly? it concerns me because I have a son that is 18 this hunting season. He does not qualify for the youth seasons- correct? He also does not qualify to hunt alone. Am I understanding this properly, or not?
Provincial hunting rules need to and should coincide with federal laws!
Never heard of a Federal Firearms Code, but the Feds don't care about hunting rules, just licences to possess weapons. Far as they are concerned once you get a PAL or a POL you are good to do anything legal with it. In fact if your family relies on your kids to substinance hunt, the Feds will give them a POL at a ridiculously young age so they can go out and hunt game if it is legal in your province for kids to hunt. In BC though, the provincial authorities prohibit children hunting unsupervised, even if they are legally licensed to carry a firearm. Hunting is inherently dangerous so it is probably a good provincial rule, although it did cramp my family a bit these past few years.

Short answer is don't mix up firearm laws and hunting laws - they are different....

jjkelowna
08-28-2012, 05:11 PM
yep you guys are right. here is some info from the gov website that describes it well!

Firearms Regulations

As a resident of the province, you need a Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) or the new federal firearms licence (PAL or POL) in order to legally possess firearms in B.C.
The only exception to this is if you are being supervised (see below).
Firearms fall under the Criminal Code of Canada and are therefore regulated by the Federal Government, NOT the Government of British Columbia. All inquiries related to Canadian firearms regulations should be directed to the Canadian Firearms Centre (http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/).
As of January 1, 2001, the Wildlife Act will now accept a FAC, Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) or Possession-Only Licence (POL) for the purposes of carrying a gun in the bush. If you borrow a firearm you need a valid FAC or the new federal firearm licence (PAL, or POL) unless you are being supervised by someone who is legally allowed to have that firearm.
Note that in addition to the FAC or federal firearms licence, in order to hunt, you also need a hunting licence issued by the province.
If you are just carrying a rifle or shotgun in the bush, you must have a valid federal firearms licence.
The Federal Minors Permit is generally issued to youth in B.C. between the ages of 12 to 17 who need to use a firearm in an unsupervised situation. This occurs for youth that participate in biathlon competition. It is hard for the adult to supervise the youth while the youth is skiing through the woods.
Youth (ages 10 to 18 inclusive) who participate in hunting in B.C. must be accompanied by an adult (19 years or older) who holds a valid hunting licence and be accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of that person. Accompanied under the Wildlife Act means to remain in the company of the other person, able to see the other person without the aid of any device other than ordinary corrective lenses and able to communicate by un-amplified voice with that person.
WRONG. I don't know where you got this info, but it is wrong. In BC 18 year olds can hunt unsupervised with a hunting license. Kids UNDER 18 with a license can hunt with an 18 year old who has a license. See page 7 and 8 of the new regs. Kids anywhere in Canada can get a POL to carry a gun unsupervised. They don't have to be biathletes, although that is one good reason to get a POL. Some kids like to target practice, others may live in a province where they can hunt unsupervised (though that doesn't include BC).

XMD70
08-28-2012, 06:54 PM
I've been teaching the CORE since 1976, and the PAL since its inception. Recently had a young man of 18 come to me to write the CORE test. He had been bow hunting alone at 16. He was caught and lost his right to hunt until he turned 18 and re-took the test.

jjkelowna
08-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Did anyone PM the original poster that they gave him mistaken advice? I haven't seen him back on this thread. Be pretty crappy if his kid lost his license and probably his bow based on off-the-cuff advice that missed the mark?

HunterOgi
08-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Did anyone PM the original poster that they gave him mistaken advice? I haven't seen him back on this thread. Be pretty crappy if his kid lost his license and probably his bow based on off-the-cuff advice that missed the mark?
Know worries i have been keeping track, so i guess he'll be draging me around for awhile untill he can get his P.O.L! Any body know anywhere in Kelowna i can get him signed up to get one? Thanks again guys.

jjkelowna
08-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Know worries i have been keeping track, so i guess he'll be draging me around for awhile untill he can get his P.O.L! Any body know anywhere in Kelowna i can get him signed up to get one? Thanks again guys.
Even with a POL he can't hunt alone till he's 18. This isn't really as complicated as we have made it out to be.

fusion
08-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Never heard of a Federal Firearms Code, but the Feds don't care about hunting rules, just licences to possess weapons. Far as they are concerned once you get a PAL or a POL you are good to do anything legal with it. In fact if your family relies on your kids to substinance hunt, the Feds will give them a POL at a ridiculously young age so they can go out and hunt game if it is legal in your province for kids to hunt. In BC though, the provincial authorities prohibit children hunting unsupervised, even if they are legally licensed to carry a firearm. Hunting is inherently dangerous so it is probably a good provincial rule, although it did cramp my family a bit these past few years.

Short answer is don't mix up firearm laws and hunting laws - they are different....

JJ, should of used the word LAW not CODE. Thanks for that clarification. How important it is to use the right words! And no, my family does not need my kids to "substinance" or sustenance hunt to feed the family.

Now its all clear. My 18 year old needs to aquire a PAL or POL to hunt alone.:-P

HunterOgi
08-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Even with a POL he can't hunt alone till he's 18. This isn't really as complicated as we have made it out to be.

JJ, should of used the word LAW not CODE. Thanks for that clarification. How important it is to use the right words! And no, my family does not need my kids to "substinance" or sustenance hunt to feed the family.

Now its all clear. My 18 year old needs to aquire a PAL or POL to hunt alone.:-P
Im soorry but this is very confusing can some one please clarify or send me a link to the online regs for i can check it out myself? Thanks...

jjkelowna
08-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Ha, thanks for the spell check. I really wasn't trying to be picky though about law vs code. I never even heard of a firearm law for that matter. I was just trying to point out that the Feds don't get involved in the hunting rules. I got my kids POLs for nothing as no matter they could carry guns, they can't hunt alone. Waste of money to be avoided. Hope your boy has fun!

fusion
08-28-2012, 08:57 PM
JJ, its all good! How old are your kids? I have a few other friends with kids soon turning 18 or are 18 so this is an interesting topic. To tell you the truth I'm with HunterOgi still on this topic. It seems that the federal laws still do tie in with the provincial hunting laws.

Page 9 of the hunting regs under the heading of Federal Firearms Legislation states: A BC hunting licence does not give authority to carry a firearm.

Islander30
08-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Im soorry but this is very confusing can some one please clarify or send me a link to the online regs for i can check it out myself? Thanks...

It's not really that confusing and it is clearly written in the hunting regulations and the firearm regulations once you read them. Most guys (myself included) were trying to answer from memory and apparently confused each other. Once I quickly re-read my regulations which I have a copy of at home it was very clear. Since you apparently don't have a copy of the regulations here are the on-line links to both.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/owner-proprietaire-eng.htm

HunterOgi
08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
It's not really that confusing and it is clearly written in the hunting regulations and the firearm regulations once you read them. Most guys (myself included) were trying to answer from memory and apparently confused each other. Once I quickly re-read my regulations which I have a copy of at home it was very clear. Since you apparently don't have a copy of the regulations here are the on-line links to both.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/owner-proprietaire-eng.htm

Thank you.

jjkelowna
08-28-2012, 11:28 PM
JJ, its all good! How old are your kids? I have a few other friends with kids soon turning 18 or are 18 so this is an interesting topic. To tell you the truth I'm with HunterOgi still on this topic. It seems that the federal laws still do tie in with the provincial hunting laws.

Page 9 of the hunting regs under the heading of Federal Firearms Legislation states: A BC hunting licence does not give authority to carry a firearm.
Yep, we need a firearms license to do anything with a rifle unless supervised. The Feds don't get involved in hunting, so will permit youth to have guns unsupervised, even when too young to hunt unsupervised. My waste of time was getting firearms licenses for the kids to allow them to possess firearms unsupervised and then realizing we still had to hunt within arms reach due to the BC hunting regs. So, paid for the POL and now paying again for the PAL now that the oldest is 18. Finally he can move out to his own blind! The course was good for them though as it emphasized safety. I would probably hold off sending in for the license until 18 so you don't pay twice. The other two are 16 and 10 so it will still be plenty cozy hunting for a while ha, ha.

fusion
08-29-2012, 08:24 AM
I dont mind being cozy with the kids. My kids are 16 & 18 now. There were plenty of trips we took together (all 3 of us) and had the best times. Its was a chance to instill safety and ethics to both of them at the same time. Also tracking, gutting and in general care of the meat and respect of the animal. There were numerous times we came home with nothing but plenty of times we did bring home a whitey or a muley. I just hope the time I spent with them in the bush taught them the skills they need to become a respectful hunter.

cheers