PDA

View Full Version : Goat in 3-32 F

DGuest
08-27-2012, 05:05 PM
My hunting buddy got a goat tag for 3-32F this year. I did some scouting for him this past weekend, nothing major just making sure I could find trailheads and what condition the Hurley is in etc.

I noticed there were 8 tags available and was wondering if anyone on here is one of the remaining 7. After driving up there and checking things out, there doesn't seem to be a lot of real estate for that number of hunters. I wouldn't be surprised if we ran into each other.

EvanG
08-27-2012, 10:42 PM
I would be surprised if half of those who recieve a tag even show up. Good odds for those of us who do!

DGuest
08-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Too bad, oh well better hunting for us. We are headed up this Friday, getting pretty excited!

redwards92
08-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Too bad, oh well better hunting for us. We are headed up this Friday, getting pretty excited!

Good luck! Bring a camerea !

Blainer
08-28-2012, 09:33 AM
3-33f for me
very close,but other side of Carpenter lake
did you see any goats??

DGuest
08-28-2012, 09:47 AM
No goats, saw a few mulie does and some grouse though. Some black bear sign too

bighornbob
08-28-2012, 09:53 AM
My hunting buddy got a goat tag for 3-32F this year. I did some scouting for him this past weekend, nothing major just making sure I could find trailheads and what condition the Hurley is in etc.

I noticed there were 8 tags available and was wondering if anyone on here is one of the remaining 7. After driving up there and checking things out, there doesn't seem to be a lot of real estate for that number of hunters. I wouldn't be surprised if we ran into each other.

As with most goat LEH's the government probably releases way more tags then they want goats shot as someone else mentioned half the guys wont even show up. The Gov knows all the stats and they may only want 1-2 goats killed in that unit. So by releasing 8 tags (3-4 guys dont even buy a tag) means 4 guys actually hunt and the odds of actually getting one is 25%. So with eight tags, the minisitry may see only one goat killed.

BHB

DGuest
08-28-2012, 10:02 AM
And with any luck that one goat will be us!

Blainer
08-28-2012, 10:16 AM
And with any luck that one goat will be us!luck and hard work
and of the 4 that will hunt,2 are overweight and hoping to shoot from the vehicle.
lmao
your odds just improved.

BRvalley
08-28-2012, 03:51 PM
mineshaft pub in bralorne has a new-ish menu, worth a stop for a good meal

Ruger4
08-28-2012, 05:31 PM
good goats up Truaxx

DGuest
08-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Looks like we'll be arriving at the trail head around 9pm, considering doing the hike in at night. Any thoughts on traveling into Griz country at 1am? I figure they are pretty active at night.

There was black bear sign all around the trail head and I've heard there is griz in the basin we are hiking into. should we just giver and make noise the whole way in?

Ruger4
08-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Looks like we'll be arriving at the trail head around 9pm, considering doing the hike in at night. Any thoughts on traveling into Griz country at 1am? I figure they are pretty active at night.

There was black bear sign all around the trail head and I've heard there is griz in the basin we are hiking into. should we just giver and make noise the whole way in?

from experience in there I would let the weather dictate your plan, Truaxx weather can turn real quick, (fog-with cooler temps in the forecast).
get a good sleep and glass all morning, you'll have a way better vantage point from the valley below, make your next move from there, bring rope !! good luck !!

blackbart
08-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Hiking in without natural light in an area that might not be very familiar to you sounds like a bad idea to me. Sleep at the truck and head in just before dawn. It is NOT a race, don't try to make it one.

604redneck
08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Gonna have to agree with blackbart

DGuest
09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Hunt was a success, bagged a nice billy! I'll let the guy with the tag post a story.

The trail is very well marked and not to steep (we were only hiking into the head of the basin) we had excellent weather, lots of moon light so we did the hike at night. 3.5hrs in the dark, we were in our bags by 3:30 am.

Spotted our first goat Saturday at lunch, goat was down the next day at noon.

More info to come

13thplumber
09-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Thats great. Congrats on the hunt. Look foward to the story.
Any sign of moose up there? we got a Moose LEH for oct. Heading up 1st week for 10 days.