PDA

View Full Version : Shimano moocher 2000 GT drag knob

Philcott
08-27-2012, 07:30 AM
My son borrowed a friends reel and lost the drag knob. He went out and bought another reel, on usedVictoria.com, so he could take the knob off to put on the first reel then went back out fishing and promptly lost the replacement one. I haven't had a chance to check the stores yet to see if they sell replacement knobs but thought I'd check in with you guys to see if anyone knows if the knobs are available. I also though there might be a guide out there that has a box of old distressed reels that I might be able to pillage for a couple of drag knobs.

It's a moocher plus 2000 GT. Let me know.

I'm sure glad I didn't lend him my MR2.

I have to give him props though. The crazy kid dove in the ocean to try and get the knob and he said he had it in his fingers for a brief moment before it slipped through them and down to the bottom.

I now need to have a talk with him about risking his health and body over an object of relatively low financial value.

Phil

fuzzybiscuit
08-27-2012, 08:48 AM
If you are coming up island any time soon I'd suggest stopping off at River Rip-off and seeing Gay Dan. They have a whole room out back with reel parts. Just don't let him close the door when the two of you are in there checking it out.:shock:

And no, I didn't learn that from personal experience. Some things are better learned from others' misfortunes. :smile:

Steelwheels
08-27-2012, 09:08 AM
I now need to have a talk with him about risking his health and body over an object of relatively low financial value.
Phil

I hear ya... But loyalty has its levels... That simple piece could have significant sentimental value... I'm surprised the buddy doesn't have a new in box MR2 now...

Better yet I'll trade you my old reliable 2000gt complete with original knob for a new MR2......LOL

This is the reason I can't borrow gear... With me that is the time I have a malfunction of somekind.... LOL

Philcott
08-27-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm surprised the buddy doesn't have a new in box MR2 now...

Better yet I'll trade you my old reliable 2000gt complete with original knob for a new MR2......LOL

Hey, it wasn't me that dropped it over the side.

You and 1000 other guys would make that trade. :-P

longstonec
08-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Give Active Tackle a call. To bad it wasn't a daiwa. I have 30 drag knobs for those.

Steelwheels
08-28-2012, 09:19 AM
You and 1000 other guys would make that trade. :-P

Surely you can see the merit in haveing a extra MR2 for a spare... My other two are showing some battle scars but still seem to be working Flawlessly .. Do you guys do any refinishing of the surface coatings ?

Philcott
08-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Surely you can see the merit in haveing a extra MR2 for a spare... My other two are showing some battle scars but still seem to be working Flawlessly .. Do you guys do any refinishing of the surface coatings ?

Hey as a guy that earns my living making the mr2's and all the Islanders I see the merit in you having numerous spares. :-P

As far as the finish goes we do not, as a rule, refinish them. The main reason is they need to be completely disassembled and sent away to be processed. This process includes bright dipping (an acid bath) to remove the old finish and if not monitored very closely can have terrible results. The reel would then have to come back to us to be polished and buffed, sent back to the anodizer, sent back to us and reassembled. All this would be cost prohibitive.

You're far better off to not let the reel bang/rub the finish off on the side of your boat in the first place.

Where is "on the curve" anyway?

Steelwheels
08-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Hey as a guy that earns my living making the mr2's and all the Islanders I see the merit in you having numerous spares. :-P
You're far better off to not let the reel bang/rub the finish off on the side of your boat in the first place.
Where is "on the curve" anyway?

A new MR3 soon... Yea I can see the cost factor in refinishing.... Sh-ty Rod holders to blame... It just gives them some character ...
"On The Curve"... Just an old RR location.....I can occasionlly be found on the North Shore...(n van) :-P

ultramafic
08-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Mikes Reel Repair in abbotsford has them.. be prepared to pay though.. I lost one earlier this summer from a buddies reel i think it might hvae been the exact same model too but it cost me a little over 30 bucks but I did have it in less than a week. The only complaint I had about the transaction other than the cost was that I had tried to have it shipped to my buddies house but somewhere it ended up being sent to mine so I paid for shipping that I could have driven over and picked up for free... Do a google search on them they have a pretty comprehensive web site you should be able to find what you are looking for with that and a few schematic diagrams.

Mike ( no relation )

My son borrowed a friends reel and lost the drag knob. He went out and bought another reel, on usedVictoria.com, so he could take the knob off to put on the first reel then went back out fishing and promptly lost the replacement one. I haven't had a chance to check the stores yet to see if they sell replacement knobs but thought I'd check in with you guys to see if anyone knows if the knobs are available. I also though there might be a guide out there that has a box of old distressed reels that I might be able to pillage for a couple of drag knobs.

It's a moocher plus 2000 GT. Let me know.

I'm sure glad I didn't lend him my MR2.

I have to give him props though. The crazy kid dove in the ocean to try and get the knob and he said he had it in his fingers for a brief moment before it slipped through them and down to the bottom.

Phil

Philcott
08-29-2012, 06:58 AM
He picked up a couple knobs at a fishing supply store in Victoria. One was $17.00 the other was $21.00