PDA

View Full Version : long time listener first time caller AND JOKE

Beerhunter93
08-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Ok so like I said I'm a long time listener of this awesome forum but this is my first post. I understand first post must include a joke...

Good enough openning joke?

I am an experienced hunter, mostly whitetails, but am new to BC hunting. All my previous hunting has been done in Ontario. Comparitivly there is quite a difference in hunting the terrain and deer type that I am used to. I have been out scouting some FSRs that were mentionned to me, and not just the roads, not my style, but into the bush. What I have found hasnt been all that promising though the trips were fun.
The entrance to one fsr I wouldnt mind hunting has a "Active logging sign that says permission only" It didnt seem like there was any logging happenning on this fsr. could it just be an old sign?
All the other ones I have gone up were filled with dirt bikers, atvs, drunks, and most if not all ends of turn offs on the fsrs were filled with shooting ranges. I dont expect to find a deer anywhere in areas like that. The most notable one was heading up Sylvester Rd.
I am trying to find an area or two I could take a day trip to on a saturday or sunday throughout the season. I live in Burnaby.
Would anyone be willing to help out an experienced hunter thats new to the area? It sure would save me a ton of gas money and slow the grey coming into my hair :) Not lookin for your honey hole just a point in a direction to somewhere that I may see a deer. Bush chickens in the area always a plus.
Sorry, I bet everyone here gets this alot but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Brambles
08-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Fill out your profile so guys know where your from and that will make it easier for guys to respond appropriatly... Good joke BTW

yota
08-26-2012, 09:39 PM
welcome beer hunting I'm in port coquitlam and if you wanna do any good deer hunting you need to drive a little further out from the lower mainland either north to pemberton or east to merritt. Theres lots of fsr either way you go but stave, harrison, and sylvester is a bit of a gong show but you will run into the odd chicken up there. anyways i hope this helps a little and nice joke btw.

Trophyslayer
08-26-2012, 09:41 PM
:shock: That was a pretty awesome and disgusting joke hahahaha welcome to the site! Head further east up past Harrison or chilliwack

fearnodeer
08-27-2012, 05:47 AM
Welcome to the site, you should fit right in with that joke, you odds will improve outside of the lower mainland.

.308 NORMA
08-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Welcome aboard!!

Gun Dog
08-27-2012, 08:31 AM
The FSRs (or as they're now called: resource roads) around Vancouver are filled with dirt bikes, ATVs and drunks. You have to get further away from the Lower Mainland for peace and quiet and hunting.

"Active Logging" signs may or may not be current but it's just a warning. Crown land is public land and the "by permission only" is to keep out the dirt bikes, ATVs and drunks. Loggers don't like bullets whizzing by either. Real logging signs have the operator and radio frequency. If you have a VHF radio you can listen for traffic. Drive slow, say hi, and listen for actual logging activity.

Beerhunter93
08-27-2012, 07:48 PM
It looks like my joke was taken down. Boourns
Thanks everyone for the help and advice. Planning a trip to Kamloops now. As for the lower mainland, sounds like its going to be tough hunting. I'll head to that spot and fingers crossed, itll be nice and quiet like when I did the scouting. I dont recall there be operator or radio frequencys on the signs. I did notice them on others I had seen in other areas though just not the one I liked. :)
It sure is different going from a quick 20-30 min drive to one of my many sweet spots in Ontario to having to drive atleast a couple hours or more here. I was actually able to get out 21 days in a month while working full-time. What a great month that was. On to new hunting experiences though. Cant wait to bag my first BC buck.
Cheers

brazen
08-28-2012, 04:26 AM
I was told the same thing by some loggers who threw up a NO ENTRY sign while actively logging (my rabbit hole, lol), they shrugged sayin it was really just a precaution and they had no intention of obstructing fsr traffic. Sorry i missed the joke tho!

curt
08-28-2012, 08:17 AM
welcome aboard and welcome to the promised land.... it may be somewhat depressing for that you are no longer in the center of the universe but BC is the place to be!! outdoor opportunities are endless here and we have real moutains enjoy yourself out there!! :)