PDA

View Full Version : Deer Vision...interesting article

bc sportsman
08-25-2012, 12:18 PM
I assume that this applies to most ungulates...not just whitetails. Basically deer see in the UV below what we can see. Also some interesting info on what they perceive at dawn and dusk as well as during the day.

http://www.qdma.com/study-materials/what-do-deer-see

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1279&context=icwdm_usdanwrc

CHEAM
08-25-2012, 12:46 PM
This is why I wash my camo in just water and no soap

BearStump
08-25-2012, 01:35 PM
so, hunting in your birthday suit with some splotches of mud would be the best camo around........thats what I get out of the article.

-no noise
-no uv
-no blue color tones
-solid shapes broken up by the mud

bc sportsman
08-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Absolutely BearStump...solution is exactly what the deer do. One thing though...watch for brambles.

bochunk2000
08-26-2012, 12:26 AM
so, hunting in your birthday suit with some splotches of mud would be the best camo around........thats what I get out of the article.

-no noise
-no uv
-no blue color tones
-solid shapes broken up by the mud

You don't want to blow a big hunt trying out this new Camo...you should try it out at a local provincial park first. See how the deer (Or tourists) react. The you wuill know for your hunt :-)

snowhunter
08-26-2012, 05:51 AM
To the best of my comprehension of the "scientific" reasons behind us using camo, is that we hunters like to put up a "Fashion and Political Statement of Colors Show", proudly showing other hunters and rest of the population our camouflage colors, and thus our intend.

hunterdon
08-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Although I was already aware of much substance contained in the articles, from reading previous studies, I found a few points to be quite interesting.

While many hunters still believe deer cannot see red or orange, the second article suggests that deer do distinguish a difference between orange or red and other colors. And that's precisely why I won't wear orange or red. When deer see something different in their surroundings it certainly gets their attention.

Also, the explanation about brightness or reflective clothing was good to know. As mentioned in the article, it was not the color of the barrel of the gun, but the reflection of light off the barrel of the gun that get's the deer's attention. Hence another reason why I won't wear fluorescent colors of any kind.

Thanks for the info bc sportsman

yukon john
08-26-2012, 08:04 AM
''While not entirely conclusive, this finding suggests that deer are capable of seeing some UV light'' This has been around a while, I've been too close to too many deer to have much faith in it. Just another study to make you go out and buy more stuff. Besides, who actually washes their hunting clothes?

bosca
08-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Good information...
I have heard partial explanations about how the human eye worked but never a side by side comparison with that of deer. Won't change much of what I do now but I found the article very interesting.
Thanks for posting

yota
08-26-2012, 05:01 PM
cool article but im with BearStump on this one b-day suit and some mud lol sounds like the best way to go i just hope to mosquitos aren't out...:shock: