PDA

View Full Version : Guides want more game at your expense

MichelD
11-19-2006, 10:51 AM
I know that allocation isn't as sexy a subject as the other guy's big buck, whether the 270 is better than the 30-06 or arguing about quads, but if you care about maintaining public access to a public resource, please read this and make your own decison about what you think about it and whether you want to write a letter.

Michel

Dear Fellow Resident Hunter:

As everyone is aware the Government , BCWF and the Guide Outfitters are negotiating for a new allocation process. I will explain the process used and the problems the BCWF is having while trying to represent the resident hunter. The allocation process has been used to determine who gets the opportunity to harvest animals in British Columbia that are under Quota to the Guide Outfitters or under Limited Entry Hunts for Residents. The Ministry of Environment will determine a Annual Allowable Harvest that will sustain the populations of a certain species and this harvest will be split between the Natives, Resident Hunters and Guide Outfitters. The Natives will get their share first and then the residents are supposed to have second priority and then the Guide Outfitters.

This system has worked great but the price of Guide territories has sky rocketed and the Guide Outfitters want more of the Allocations to pay the bills. They began to lobby Government for a new policy and we have been fighting ever since with the Government and the Guide Outfitters. The concerns that the BCWF has with the new process is:
1) We have concerns that the Administrative Guidelines that the Guide Outfitters have are a Conservation concern. Administrative Guidelines are if a Outfitter has one tag/year and doesn’t harvest the animal this year he can take two animals next year or three animals over a Five Year period. This equates to them having the ability to harvest the majority of their Five Year Quota in three years. The BCWF thinks that there should be a yearly review of allocation numbers in order to assess the impacts of winter weather and habitat on the animal populations. The Resident Hunters are restricted by these Guidelines so they must also pertain to the Outfitters.

2) resident priority, we feel that the Government has completely ignored us and is giving the Guide Outfitters a higher priority. We feel that we will lose a high percentage of our Limited Entry Permits to the Guide Outfitters unless we retain our resident priority. The Residents of B.C. must have a minimum 60% allocation on all species.

These are the two major problems the Resident hunter will have with the new policy there are lots more but we must change these two. The negotiating committee has worked long and hard to try to change the Governments mind. They now need the help of the Resident Hunters, it is now time for the Resident hunters to be heard . We need to write letters to our politicians in Victoria and visit our constituency offices and go over these two points. We need a member from each area to volunteer to visit their MLA and each club must make a commitment to send out a certain number of letters. The letters can be quick and easy outlining these two points, it doesn’t matter the quality of the letter just that you sent a letter. Your help is drastically needed at this time.

In addition to your MLA, send letters to:

Hon. Gordon Campbell
Room 156

Hon. Barry Penner
Room 112

Parliament Buildings Parliament Buildings
Victoria, B.C. Victoria, B.C.
V8V 1X4 V8V 1X4

Elkaholic
11-19-2006, 11:43 AM
With this allocation if resident do not use our LEH tags, they give them to the Guides, thus violating the law that residents are supposed to get 60% of the draws. BCWF isnt innocent in this proccess as well, they knew about it and where going to sign off on it before it was leaked to the public.

11-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks for posting this info.
Letters sent........ everyone on this form should do the same as it affects us all, and future hunters as well

Elkaholic
11-19-2006, 05:27 PM
There is a group forming in the east kootenay region to try and fight for the rights of the resident hunter. They are called the Resident Hunters Association of BC, with their main goal is the preservation of hunting and rights for the resident hunter, not anything else.

kutenay
11-19-2006, 05:40 PM
I would be interested in this organization because I am opposed to ANY allocation of B.C. resources on either a racial basis OR to foreigners, whether they "invest" here or not. Many of the best G/O territories are being bought up by wealthy foreigners and they then try to squeeze out we residents in favour of rich guys who read all those glossy hunting mags and get their pictures in them with "trophies".

I believe that WE are losing OUR hunting rights and I want to try to help prevent this.

timber
11-19-2006, 05:55 PM
where did this letter come from.?? I know as a guide outfitter my allocation is 10%.

MichelD
11-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Here is more on the above and three more more contacts to send urgent messages to:
The resident hunters in this Province are presently being ignored by the Provincial Government. The Wildlife Act is being completely rewritten and a new Allocation Policy has been put in place without proper input from the Resident hunters of B.C. The Allocation Policy is ignoring the resident priority that we have always had. Now the non-resident alien hunters through pressure by Guide Outfitters on the Provincial Government are taking your allocations for Limited Entry away. If you have a problem with this contact the e-mails below before Tuesday and tell them
1) the New Allocation Policy is ignoring the resident hunters priority
2.)the Administrative Guidelines Policy is giving Guide Outfitters a Guarantee that the residents don't have.
3.)The BCWF must be involved in the decision making process with the Allocation Policy and The Wildlife Act.

email :
tom.ethier@gov.bc.ca
al.martin@gov.bc.ca
nancy.wilkin@gov.bc.ca

Steeleco
11-19-2006, 07:37 PM
They tried this not long back, we need to keep up the fight, I think they think we'll give in. NOT Letter in the works

The Hermit
11-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Okay done... here is the letter I scrambled together using the info provided in this thread. Feel free to use it as a starting point for your letters but please change enough of it that it doesn't look like a form letter.

I also sent it to my MLA and will call him for a meeting. So in preparation for that meeting please point me to the relevant documents and news items I should read to bone up. I know my MLA and think he will see me. Cheers

Hon. Gordon Campbell
Hon. Barry Penner
Hon. Murray Coell
Parliament Buildings Parliament Buildings
Victoria, B.C.
V8V 1X4

November 19, 2006

Dear Sirs:

I understand that the Government of BC, BC Wildlife Federation, and the Guide Outfitters are negotiating for a new big game allocation process. I believe that BC Resident Hunters have not been adequately represented in this process and therefore I feel compelled to write this letter.

Background
The wildlife harvest allocation process is used to determine who gets the opportunity to harvest animals in British Columbia that are under Limited Entry Hunts for Residents and quota to the Guide Outfitters. Historically, the Ministry of Environment determines an annual allowable harvest that will sustain the populations of certain species and this harvest has always been split between First Nations, Resident Hunters and Guide Outfitters. The First Nations were to get their share first for sustenance and ceremonial purposes, and then the residents are supposed to have second priority, and finally the Guide Outfitters.

This system has worked relatively well but as the market price of the Guide Outfitters’ territories have sky rocketed they want more of the Harvest Allocations to enhance their return on investment. They have been lobbying hard on this front.

The Issues
I am concerned that the BC Government is ignoring Resident Hunters. The Wildlife Act is being significantly altered and a new allocation policy is being put in place without proper input from the Resident Hunters of B.C.

The economic arguments of the Guide Outfitters are hogwash. Many of the best Guide Outfitters’ territories are being bought up by wealthy foreigners and they are trying to squeeze out Residents in favour of wealthy clients who subscribe to glossy hunting magazines and get their pictures in them with their "trophies".

The reality is that thousands of resident hunters (voters) generate far more economic activity in BC than all the guide outfitters combined and our voices have not been heard let alone considered in this process.

The new allocation policy ignores the resident priority that we have always enjoyed. Now non-resident alien hunters, through pressure by Guide Outfitters on the Provincial Government are threatening allocations for Resident Limited Entry hunting.

In brief, the concerns I have with the proposed new process are:

• The New Allocation Policy is ignoring the resident hunters priority. Please don’t let that happen!

• The administrative guidelines for Guide Outfitters present serious conservation issues. Administrative Guidelines state that if an Outfitter has one tag/year and doesn’t harvest the animal this year he can take two animals next year or three animals over a Five Year period. This equates to guide outfitters having the ability to harvest the majority of their Five Year Quota in three years. I think that there should be a yearly review of allocation numbers in order to assess the impacts of winter weather, predation, and habitat on the animal populations.

• As a result of the proposed policy giving the Guide Outfitters a higher priority I am concerned that Resident Hunters will lose a significant percentage of our Limited Entry Permits to the Guide Outfitters. The Administrative Guidelines Policy is giving Guide Outfitters a Guarantee that the residents don't have. The Residents of B.C. must have a minimum 60% allocation on all species.

• The BCWF must be involved in the decision making process with the Allocation Policy and The Wildlife Act. I would also like to see a more direct forum for consultation with individual residents be created.

I am opposed to increasing allocation of B.C. resources to foreigners at the expense of Resident Hunters whether the foreigners "invest" here or not. Also, on general principle, I oppose any wildlife allocations on a racial basis and believe those “hunting and fishing rights” should be put on the table with first nations in treaty negotiations. It particularly galls me to see native commercial fisheries.

Sincerely,

Bill Tozer

MichelD
11-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Awesome.

Well done.

I wish every member of this board took the time to do what you did.

I read somewhere once that petitions and group submissions are fine, but a well presented argument from an individual carries significant weight.

kutenay
11-20-2006, 12:18 AM
That is a good letter and I notice that some of my earlier comments seem to have had a little influence in it's wording. However, may I suggest that, in each letter, we stick to the single issue of allocation and refrain from comments on the racial aspects of this or the situation concerning federally administered resources such as the Salmon fishery, etc.

This is because a politician will seize on this to send you a reply to the effect that, "WE" have no jurisdiction and therefore, etc., ad nauseum. So, simply deal with the allocations between us and the G/Os and leave the "racial" aspects out of it, for now as it is a separate battle as are commercial fisheries.

This Provincial Government is ALL about big business and profits for their buddies and the wildlife managers do what they are told, OR, lose their jobs; I KNOW as I was in the B.C.F.S. when old man Bennett was busy selling out B.C. to anyone he could, including a Swedish "industrialist" who had been very active with the "Nazis" when boys from B.C. were dying in Europe in'39-'45.

Politicians COUNT letters, largely ignore e-mails and will repond to NUMBERS; a former B.C. Cabinet Minister told me this in so many words in Reliable Gun back in '89, that was Stephen Rogers. So, keep on track, be POLITE but FIRM and stress that WE EAT what we kill; the point about our economic contribution is also VERY important and should be stressed.

I also think that we need to stress that WE OWN this wildlife and WE MUST have total priority over it's allocation; to me, 60 % is about 30% short of what WE should be allocated!

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:21 AM
With this allocation if resident do not use our LEH tags, they give them to the Guides, thus violating the law that residents are supposed to get 60% of the draws. BCWF isnt innocent in this proccess as well, they knew about it and where going to sign off on it before it was leaked to the public.

You must be making this up? Do you have any idea how much time has been spent on this? We're talking years and hundreds of thousands of hours. This was never gonna be signed off by the BCWF or the trapper's association for that matter. On top of this several GO's who don't get any of the big ticket critters such as sheep and grizzly are severely choked.

Also, prior to this residents were actually supposed to get 70% of the entire allocations, not only draws or 60%. We will get 90% of the antlertess draws. In the past it was also a use it or lose it scenario.

If you have any questions please feel free. Speaking of what you clearly know nothing about wastes but mine and your time.

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:24 AM
There is a group forming in the east kootenay region to try and fight for the rights of the resident hunter. They are called the Resident Hunters Association of BC, with their main goal is the preservation of hunting and rights for the resident hunter, not anything else.

Oh geez. I'll start a new thread for you if you want!

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Nice to see you folks are writting letters. The policy has already been signed by Nancy Wilkins and Al Martin. This policy has infuriated many, inlcuding almost ALL wildlife and regional bio's. All the managers that understand it have themselves put in their 2 cents and gone to bat for resident hunters. You should be sending them a letter of thanks also.

Here is a draft with the 'new' starting allocations. It has improved greatly in the favour of residents since the last draft. This hasn't been signed off on but will be shortly.

Region Species Class Status Quo (%) Allocations in 2007-12 (%)
Resident Hunters Guide Outfitters Resident Hunters Guide
1 Grizzly bear All 47 53 56 44
1 Elk Bull only 92 8 90 10
1 Elk Archery only 68 32 74 26
2 Elk Bull only 80 20 83 17
2 Goat All (Mt Meager) n/a n/a 75 25
3 Grizzly bear All 90 10 88 12
3 Moose Bull only* 95 5 90 10
3 Goat All 74 26 69 31
3 Bighorn sheep 3/4 curl only 70 30 76 24
4 Grizzly bear All 70 30 76 24
4 Moose Bull only* 90 10 88 12
4 Goat All 75 25 71 29
4 Bighorn sheep All 75 25 71 29
5 Grizzly bear All 62 38 70 30
5 Caribou Bull only 80 20 76 24
5 Moose Bull only 78 22 79 21
5 Moose Cow only n/a n/a 98 2
5 Goat All 57 43 63 37
6 (North) Caribou Bull only 53 47 61 39
6 (North) Goat All 63 37 61 39
6 (North) Thinhorn Sheep All 60 40 55 45
6 (North) Grizzly bear All 50 50 60 40
6 (South) Moose Bull only 81 19 77 23
6 (South) Goat All* 75 25 70 30
6 (South) Grizzly bear All 50 50 60 40
7A Grizzly bear All 50 50 60 40
7A Moose Bull only 85 15 82 18
7A Moose Cow only 95 5 98 2
7B Grizzly bear All 50 50 60 40
7B Thinhorn Sheep All 50 50 57 43
7B Elk Cow only 90 10 98 2
7B Bison All 80 20 84 16
7B Goat All 75 25 70 30
8 Moose Bull only 81 19 85 15
8 Goat All 60 40 68 32
8 Bighorn sheep Any ram/;3/4 curl only* 67 33 74 26
* Status Quo is unclear

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:32 AM
This Procedure Replaces:
Previous procedure “Allocation of Hunting Opportunities”, October 1, 1989.
Staff, Organizations Directly Affected:
Wildlife Management Staff
Regional Managers
Director
Resident Hunters
Guide Outfitters
Policy Cross-Reference:
Ministry Policy Manual, Volume 4, Section 7
Subsections:
— 01.01 Allowable Harvest
— 01.03 Harvest Allocation
— 01.04 Permit Allocation — Non-Resident (Canadian and Alien) Hunting
— 01.05 Quota Allocation – Guided Hunting
— 01.06 Limited Entry Hunting
— 01.10 Resident Hunter Priority
— 01.11 Commercial Hunting Interests
— 01.12 Allocation of Previously Unopened Hunts
— 01.13 Under-Harvest of Allocated Share
Other Cross-References:
Appendix A
Appendix B
Ministry Procedure Manual, Volume 4, Section 7
— 01.05.1 Quota
— 01.05.2 Administrative Guidelines
— 01.06.1 Limited Entry Hunting
Purpose:
To outline the process to be followed by the Director, Fish and Wildlife in arriving at allocation decisions
for category A species in each region.
Definitions:
“Allocation” – means the division of the annual allowable harvest (AAH) remaining after the legal rights
of First Nations have been recognized and provided for, between resident hunters and guide outfitters.
“Allocation Period” – means the five year period to which an allocation decision applies.
“Annual Allowable Harvest (AAH)” – means the optimum number of animals that can be harvested
annually by hunters from a herd or population which will be replenished through the population’s natural
reproduction to meet management objectives.

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:32 AM
This Policy Replaces:
None.
Regional Managers
Director
Resident Hunters
Guide Outfitters
POLICY STATEMENT:
It is the Policy of the Ministry:
1) That the allowable harvest of previously unopened hunts on category A species shall be allocated
75% to resident hunters and 25% to guide outfitters for the duration of the first allocation period.
2) Notwithstanding statement 1), the allowable harvest of previously unopened hunts on category A
antlerless elk, cow moose and antlerless deer shall be allocated 98% to resident hunters and 2% to
guide outfitters for the duration of the first allocation period.
Definitions:
“Allocation” – means the division of the annual allowable harvest remaining after the legal rights of First
Nations have been recognized and provided for, between resident hunters and guide outfitters.
“Allocation Period” – means the five year period to which an allocation decision applies.
“Annual Allowable Harvest (AAH) – means the optimum number of animals that can be harvested
annually by hunters from a herd or population which will be replenished through the population’s natural
“Category A Species” – means a big game species, population, or class for which the guide outfitters’
harvest is limited by quota in any portion of a region.
“Previously Unopened Hunts” – means a hunt for a category A species that has never occurred before
or has not been open within the last 10 years in any part of a given region.
“Resident” – means resident as defined in the Wildlife Act, RSBC 1996 c.488.
Procedure Manual Cross-Reference:
Subsections:
— 01.03.1 Harvest Allocation
— 01.05.1 Quota
Other Cross-References:
Subsections:

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:33 AM
This Policy Replaces:
None.
Regional Managers
Director
Guide Outfitters
POLICY STATEMENT:
That guide outfitters’ commercial interests in the harvest of big game species will be addressed by:
1. requiring non-resident hunters to hire a guide outfitter to hunt big game in the province,
except when permits to accompany have been issued;
2. providing predictable, fair shares of the allocations of category A species in tenured areas;
3. supporting the viability of the guide outfitting industry by committing to:
a) the timely application of decision making processes regarding the transfer and
disposition of guide territories;
b) the timely review of the status of unallocated areas;
c) the creation and maintenance of a regulatory framework that maximizes non-resident
hunting success, enjoyment, and participation;
d) the maintenance of exclusive guided hunting rights for guide outfitters; and
4. removing unnecessary barriers to achievement of allocation prior to reducing allocation.
Definitions:
“Allocation” – means the division of the annual allowable harvest remaining after the legal rights of First
Nations have been recognized and provided for, between resident hunters and guide outfitters.
“Big Game” – means big game as defined in the Wildlife Act, RSBC 1996 c.488.
“Non-Resident” – means a non resident and non resident alien as defined in the Wildlife Act, RSBC
1996 c.488.
Subsections:
— 01.05.1 Quota
Other Cross-References:
Ministry Policy Manual
Volume 4, Section 1, Subsection 01.01 Guiding Activities
Volume 4, Section 7, Subsections:
— 01.02 Open Seasons

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:34 AM
This Policy Replaces:
Previous policy “Allocation of Hunting Privileges”, September 30, 1985.
Regional Managers
Director
Resident Hunters
Guide Outfitters
POLICY STATEMENT:
That, when a Regional Manager has determined that a big game species, population, or animal
class within the region that he or she manages is a category A species, the harvest is allocated in
order to prevent or reduce causes for conflict between hunter groups. When allocating category A
species:
(a) resident hunters are given higher priority for harvest than non-resident hunters;
(b) changes of allocation share between residents and non-residents are gradual, reflect relative
importance and utilization, and will only occur after unnecessary barriers to achievement of
harvest have been addressed.
Definitions:
“Animal Class” – means a sub-group of a population or species sharing a similar characteristic such as
sex, age, or antler configuration.
“Category A Species” – means a big game species, population, or class for which the guide outfitters’
“Guided Hunter” – means a hunter guided by a licenced guide outfitter, excluding resident clients in
possession of a Limited Entry Hunting authorization or resident clients hunting open season species.
“Hunter Group” – means resident or guided hunters.
“Non-Resident” – means a non resident and non resident alien as defined in the Wildlife Act, RSBC
1996 c.488.
“Regional Manager” – means a Regional Manager, Environmental Stewardship Division, Ministry of
Environment.
“Relative Importance” – means relative importance as defined in Step 2 of the Harvest Allocation
Procedure (4-7-01.03.1).
“Utilization” – means the number of successfully harvested category A species as a percentage of the
total number of a category A species allocated to a hunter group.
Subsections:
— 01.05.1 Quota
Other Cross-References:
Subsections:
— 01.01 Allowable Harvest

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:35 AM
This Procedure Replaces:
Previous procedure “Quota Allocation – Guided Hunting", February 29, 1980.
Regional Managers
Director
Resident Hunters
Guide Outfitters
Policy Cross-Reference:
Subsections:
Other Cross-References:
Purpose:
To outline the method by which quotas are determined and allocated as conditions of guide outfitter
licences.
Definitions:
“Annual Allowable Harvest (AAH)” – means the optimum number of animals that can be harvested
“Director” – means the Director of the Fish & Wildlife Branch, Environmental Stewardship Division,
Ministry of Environment.
“Limited Entry Hunting (L.E.H.) Authorization” – means Limiting Entry Hunting Authorization as
defined in the Wildlife Act, RSBC 1996 c.488.
1996, c.488.
“Quota” – means quota as defined in the Wildlife Act, RSBC 1996 c.488.
“Regional Fish & Wildlife Section Head” – means a Regional Fish & Wildlife Section Head,
Environmental Stewardship Division, Ministry of Environment.
“Regional Manager” – means a Regional Manager, Environmental Stewardship Division, Ministry of
Environment.
Procedure:
1. Calculation and allocation of quota
1.1 Allocations of harvest opportunities to guide outfitters by means of a quota are based on the
calculation of the annual allowable harvest (AAH), and are consistent with the Ministry of
Environment’s policy concerning harvest allocations.
1.2 Quotas established or recommended by the Regional Fish & Wildlife Section Head must not
exceed the guide outfitters’ portion of the total allocated harvest for the big game population.
1.3 Quotas will be allocated to guides proportionate to the share of the harvestable portion of the
population within their guiding territory.
1.4 Where a limited entry hunt (L.E.H.) has been instituted;
(a) the harvest by any guided resident hunter with a L.E.H. authorization is not included in the
quota;
(b) a resident hunter without a L.E.H. authorization may purchase the services of a guide
outfitter, and the harvest will be included in that guide outfitter’s quota.
1.5 Where no L.E.H. has been instituted, the harvest by any guided or unguided resident hunter is not
included in the quota.
1.6 The harvest by any guided non-resident is included in the quota.
2. Recommendation and approval
2.1 Quotas will be calculated by the Regional Fish & Wildlife Section Head and shall be calculated in
accordance with the Director’s allocation decision.
2.2 Final approval of quotas will be given by the Regional Manager in a timely manner in accordance
with regulation setting policy and procedure.
2.3 The Regional Manager enters approved quotas onto the guide outfitter's licence as a condition of
the licence.

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:35 AM
This Procedure Replaces:
None.
Regional Managers
Resident Hunters
Guide Outfitters
Policy Cross-Reference:
Subsections:
Other Cross-References:
Subsections:
— 01.05.1 Quota
Purpose:
To outline the process by which administrative guidelines are to be applied to guide outfitter quotas.
Definitions:
“Quota” – means quota as defined in the Wildlife Act, RSBC 1996 c.488
Environment.
Procedure:
1. The Regional Manager must attach an administrative guideline to all quotas that are not equal to a
whole number each year. The Regional Manager may attach an administrative guideline to whole
number quotas.
2. The Regional Manager should apply an administrative guideline to the quota of a guide outfitter as
follows:
a) the annual quota will apply for five years;
b) up to 30% of the cumulative five year quota (obtained by multiplying the annual quota by 5) may be
harvested in any one year;
c) notwithstanding 2 b) , no more than 5 times the annual quota may be harvested in the five year
period.
NOTE: The annual quota is not to be rounded before being multiplied by 5 to obtain the cumulative 5
year quota.
3. If the annual allowable harvest (AAH) changes at any point over the five year period, the administrative
guideline will apply only to the remaining years in the five year period. For example, if the AAH changes
after year 1 of a 5 year allocation period, a new 4-year administrative guideline will apply as follows:
a) the new annual quota will apply for four years;
b) up to 40% of the cumulative 4 year quota (obtained by multiplying the annual quota by 4) may be
c) notwithstanding 3 b), no more than 4 times the annual quota may be harvested in the four year
period.
NOTE: The annual quota is not to be rounded before being multiplied by 4 to obtain the cumulative 4
year quota.
4. If the AAH changes after year 2 of a 5 year allocation period, a new 3-year administrative guideline will
apply as follows:
a) the new annual quota will apply for 3 years;
b) up to 50% of the cumulative 3 year quota (obtained by multiplying the annual quota by 3) may be
c) notwithstanding 4 b), no more than 3 times the annual quota may be harvested in the four year
period.
NOTE: The annual quota is not to be rounded before being multiplied by 3 to obtain the cumulative 3
year quota.
5. If the AAH changes after year 3 or 4, a new 2 or 1 year administrative guideline will apply respectively.
In either of those years, up to 50% of the cumulative 2 or 1 year quota may be harvested. No more than
the cumulative quota may be harvested over the 2 or 1 year period.
NOTE: The annual quota is not to be rounded before being multiplied by 2 or 1 to obtain the cumulative
2 or 1 year quota.

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:36 AM
This Policy Replaces:
None.
Regional Managers
Director
Resident Hunters
Guide Outfitters
POLICY STATEMENT:
That the allocation to a hunter group is not to be altered because of under-harvest by that hunter
group at the regional level if the cause of under-harvest is redundant or unnecessarily restrictive
regulations or licence conditions.
The harvest of category A species by each hunter group will be monitored and recorded annually
by regional staff.
If either hunter group under-harvests a category A species regionally for three consecutive years,
the Regional Manager will provide a report to the Director that reviews the regulations and/or
licence conditions relating to the particular species. If determined to be redundant or unnecessarily
restrictive with respect to conservation and other management objectives, these regulations and/or
licence conditions will be relaxed to facilitate optimal utilization.
Definitions:
“Conservation” – means the conservation of natural diversity, distribution, and viability of indigenous
wildlife populations.
“Director” – means the Director of the Fish & Wildlife Branch, Environmental Stewardship Division,
Ministry of Environment.
“Guided Hunter” – means a hunter guided by a licenced guide outfitter, excluding resident clients in
possession of a Limited Entry Hunting authorization or resident clients hunting open season species.
“Hunter Group” – means resident or guided hunters.

Environment.
Subsections:
— 01.05.1 Quota
Other Cross-References:
Subsections:
— 01.02 Open Seasons

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:36 AM
This Policy Replaces:
None.
Director
Regional Managers
Resident Hunters
POLICY STATEMENT:
That resident hunters’ priority in the harvest of big game species will be addressed by:
(1) providing the majority of harvestable big game species to resident hunters;
(2) providing residents with a minimum share of 98% for antlerless category A species and 50%
for all other category A species;
(3) committing to the creation and maintenance of a regulatory framework that maximizes
resident hunting success, enjoyment, and participation;
(4) considering resident opportunity first when removing unnecessary barriers to achievement of
harvest prior to reducing allocation;
(5) maintaining lower license costs for resident hunters than for non-resident hunters; and
(6) ensuring that when restrictions on harvest are necessary, non-resident opportunity is limited
before resident opportunity.
Definitions:
1996 c.488.
Subsections:
Other Cross-References:
Subsections:
— 01.02 Open Seasons

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 10:37 AM
HARVEST ALLOCATION:
AN IMPLEMENTATION PLAN FOR 2007-2011
1. TRANSITION TO NEW ALLOCATION DECISION
The following procedure will only apply to the first allocation period (2007-2012):
To avoid undue hardship on one or the other residency group, the Director should not
alter the smaller share of the existing allocation by more than 20% (increase or
decrease).
For example, if the current allocation is 80% to the residents and 20% to the non-residents
(80/20), and the results of Steps 1 through 3 in the Harvest Allocation
Procedure suggest the allocation should be 60/40, the Director should set the allocation
at 76/24 until the next allocation period begins in the 2012-13 hunting season.
2. APPLICATION OF NEW POLICY TO SPECIES IN MIDST OF ALLOCATION PERIOD
Given that some category A species in some regions will be in the midst of an allocation
period in 2007, the new Harvest Allocation Policy and Procedure will be implemented
gradually. In 2007, the new policy and procedure will only apply to species at the end of
their current allocation period. Species with one or more years left in their current
allocation will continue to be allocated at that level until the end of their allocation period,
at which time they will be allocated using the new procedure for the remainder of the five
year period. For instance:
- Species now at the end of their allocation period should be allocated using the
new policy in 2007-08. In this case, the first and all subsequent allocation
periods will last 5 years.
- Species with one year remaining in their current allocation period should be
allocated using the new policy in 2008-09. In this case, the first allocation period
under the new policy will last 4 years, but all subsequent allocation periods will
last 5 years.
- Species with two years remaining in their allocation period should be allocated
using the new policy in 2009-10. In this case, the first allocation period under the
new policy will last 3 years, but all subsequent allocation periods will last 5 years.
The new allocation procedure will be implemented for all species in the province by
3. IMPLICATIONS OF NEW POLICY FOR DETERMINATION OF GUIDE OUTFITTERS’ QUOTAS
Quotas should not, according to current Ministry policy, exceed the guide outfitters’
portion of the total allocated harvest for a particular big game population. In at least one
region of the province, however, guide outfitters’ success in achieving their share of the
allocated harvest has been built into their quotas for certain species. That is, guide
outfitters have received quotas that are X % higher than their actual share of the harvest.
Guide Outfitters are placed on quota to, first and foremost, ensure the sustainability of
the harvest. The practice described above could undermine this objective, by leading to
unsustainable harvests in cases where guide outfitters were unusually successful and
harvested their entire quota. As such, this practice will be reviewed and analyzed priorto the start of the second allocation period to which the new allocation policy and
procedure applies (2012).
4. ADMINISTRATIVE GUIDELINES FOR THINHORN SHEEP IN REGIONS 6 AND 7B
For most species, administrative guidelines will be assigned according to the
Administrative Guidelines Procedure. For thinhorn sheep in Regions 6 and 7B,
however, administrative guidelines will be applied more conservatively during the
transition period. At the end of the transition period (2012), this policy decision will be
reviewed.
From 2007-11, administrative guidelines for thinhorn sheep in R egions 6 and 7B should
be applied such that 25% of the cumulative 5 year quota may be harvested in any one
year. If the annual allowable harvest (AAH) changes after year 1 of a 5 year allocation
period, a new administrative guideline should be assigned as follows:
(a) if the AAH changes after year 1 of a 5 year allocation period, up to 30% of
the cumulative 4 year quota may be harvested in any one year;
(b) if the AAH changes after year 2 of a 5 year allocation period, up to 40% of
the cumulative 3 year quota may be harvested in any one year;
(c) if the AAH changes after year 3 of a 5 year allocation period, up to 50% of
the cumulative 2 year quota may be harvested in any one year; or
(d) if the AAH changes after year 4 of a 5 year allocation period, only the guides’
share of the new AAH may be harvested in that year.

Gun Dog
11-20-2006, 11:07 AM
jeez, that's hard to read.

Fixed it, RH = resident hunter and GO = guide outfitter.
edit: bold = increased allocation

Region Species & Class Status Quo (%) Allocations in 2007-12 (%)
RH GO RH GO
1 Grizzly bear All 47 53 56 44
1 Elk Bull only 92 8 90 10
1 Elk Archery only 68 32 74 26
2 Elk Bull only 80 20 83 17
2 Goat All (Mt Meager) n/a n/a 75 25
3 Grizzly bear All 90 10 88 12
3 Moose Bull only* 95 5 90 10
3 Goat All 74 26 69 31
3 Bighorn sheep 3/4 curl 70 30 76 24
4 Grizzly bear All 70 30 76 24
4 Moose Bull only* 90 10 88 12
4 Goat All 75 25 71 29
4 Bighorn sheep All 75 25 71 29
5 Grizzly bear All 62 38 70 30
5 Caribou Bull only 80 20 76 24
5 Moose Bull only 78 22 79 21
5 Moose Cow only n/a n/a 98 2
5 Goat All 57 43 63 37
6 (N) Caribou Bull only 53 47 61 39
6 (N) Goat All 63 37 61 39
6 (N) Thinhorn Sheep All 60 40 55 45
6 (N) Grizzly bear All 50 50 60 40
6 (S) Moose Bull only 81 19 77 23
6 (S) Goat All* 75 25 70 30
6 (S) Grizzly bear All 50 50 60 40
7A Grizzly bear All 50 50 60 40
7A Moose Bull only 85 15 82 18
7A Moose Cow only 95 5 98 2
7B Grizzly bear All 50 50 60 40
7B Thinhorn Sheep All 50 50 57 43
7B Elk Cow only 90 10 98 2
7B Bison All 80 20 84 16
7B Goat All 75 25 70 30
8 Moose Bull only 81 19 85 15
8 Goat All 60 40 68 32
8 Bighorn sheep 67 33 74 26
Any ram/;3/4 curl only*
* Status Quo is unclear

MichelD
11-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the details gentlemen

Gateholio
11-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Out of the 36 entries listed, 15 were changed to give the outfitters a higher share.

I'm not sure that this is a good thing.:-(

Elkhound
11-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks Gun Dog. Much easier for us to read.

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks Gundog I didn't look at it after I posted it.

GoatGuy
11-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Out of the 36 entries listed, 15 were changed to give the outfitters a higher share.

I'm not sure that this is a good thing.:-(

Big changes from the original draft of the new policy not from the past. My bad!

Gun Dog
11-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks Gundog I didn't look at it after I posted it.This site does wierd things with whitespace and formatting.

kutenay
11-20-2006, 07:44 PM
So, 15 out of 36 entries give the G/Os MORE of OUR game and this includes a greater share of the most desireable species such as Kootenay Bighorn Sheep, among others. I absolutely disagree with this and it is typical of the Campbell gang.....anything for a quick buck!!!!

I see NO reason for ANY foreigner being allowed to hunt in B.C. when/where OUR hunting is restricted by L.E.H. and I also think that CANADIANS from other parts of this nation should be given preference over Americans and other foreigners.

This battle is NOT over and continual pressure through letters on the government IS worthwhile and should be kept up. WE need to make ALL politicians realize that we are bloody tired of being treated like second-class citizens in our own land!!!

When the "antis" get ahold of this travesty, I expect a re-newed campaign against "trophy hunting" which will be combined with the fight against "fixed roof" accomodations in Provincial Parks, something I am adamantly opposed to. So, I think that the situation is far from resolved.

pmj
11-21-2006, 02:13 AM
In my Nov-Dec copy of The Outdoor Edge there is a two page report from the president of BCWF on Resident Priority.
Comercial interests are eroding resident rights through the Provincial Allocation Policy Review, Steelhead Fisheries Policy and Fixed Roof Accomodation in B.C. Parks. These all could mean less opportunities for residents to use our Provincial resources which we own and pay to manage.

J_T
11-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Posted by Hermit
I understand that the Government of BC, BC Wildlife Federation, and the Guide Outfitters are negotiating for a new big game allocation process. I believe that BC Resident Hunters have not been adequately represented in this process and therefore I feel compelled to write this letter.

If the BCWF is part of this negotiation and there is a feeling that the resident hunters are not adequately represented... what IS the BCWF doing there as part of this discussion?

Thanks.

JT

timber
11-22-2006, 07:32 PM
[quote=kutenay]

I see NO reason for ANY foreigner being allowed to hunt in B.C. when/where OUR hunting is restricted by L.E.H. and I also think that CANADIANS from other parts of this nation should be given preference over Americans and other foreigners.???? where does it say that it go's to americans or foreigners. (b) a resident hunter without a L.E.H. authorization may purchase the services of a guide
outfitter, and the harvest will be included in that guide outfitter’s quota.

kutenay
11-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Are you suggesting that the number of resident hunters who purchase hunts from G/Os are equal to or greater than the number of Americans and other foreigners (Americans ARE foreigners by definition) who do this?

Your point is not clear, I have no issue with B.C.'ers guiding in B.C. for other B.C.'ers or Canadians, however, I do not think that G/O "quotas" should even exist wherever B.C. residents do not have a substantial general open season for the species in question.

Obviously, you do not agree with this and that is your right, however, I have zero sympathy for the "high-dollar" G/O operations which are owned by Americans and employ "Canadian" "frontmen" as licencees. Many of the most productive hunting areas are now under the "management" of these types, i.e., Brian Martin, the new "owners" of "Stone Mountain Safaris", Olmstead and others and this is NOT acceptable to me and, I think, to many others.

IF, residents and Canadians WANT Guide-Outfitters, then, let them be people like you, NOT rich "trophy" crazed Yanks who think that they have the "right" to buy up OUR hunting opportunities and OUR wildlife.

Malley Whacker
11-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Help the BCWF with the fight, become a member, they are the voice of the Resident Hunter . Keep sending letters, rest assurred the Fed will not give up the fight