PDA

View Full Version : Holmes River?

afflicted 1
08-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Posted earlier about taking my son hunting in Mcbride area, how would hunting be in the holmes river area? I'm thinking this is primarly a moose/deer area or are there elk there too? Not looking to find some ones secret hole just looking for a good camping/hunting experience for the son and I, thanks.

scottwh
08-25-2012, 09:24 AM
I have seen lots of deer in there, some moose. I havnt seen elk in there but im sure there are some in the upper reaches. I have only really hunted that area targeting Grizz. Lots of thick over grown trails/roads...

afflicted 1
08-25-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure where to go around there really, just looking at google it seems like one of the best accesable areas there. The west side of the Fraser also looks decent for elk maybe in some of the drainages, but they can be so hit or miss. I'm sure its just a matter of talking to the right person to get pointed in the right direction.

KB90
08-25-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm curious as to why you've chosen mcbride? Wouldn't be on my list. If you are serious about it though, try messaging BCrams. Although I think he's gone on his sheep hunt, so you won't hear back for a bit.

Benthos
08-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Mcbride has tonnes of elk. Lots of them in the farmers fields!

Go knock on some doors and see if you can wack the elk standing in the middle of the alfalfa field

Machinist
08-26-2012, 07:34 AM
I have hunted the Holmes river area 4 times over the years , acess off the main road is limited , the bush is really thick in the valley and not many side roads , Have seen lots of grizz in there and you can see lots of goats on the Mtn's , we usually camped up the valley at 28 km , there is a decent spot in there with easy acess to water , there is a FSR campsite just off the hwy where a lot of hunters camp, in the upper end of the valley there are some big meadows and a few cutblocks , there is a road that goes off to the west into the Chalko river but it really over grown in there , we hunt the river quite a bit we put in a cartopper in the river at the upper end then float down to the bridge that crosses at approx km 10 , there is no acess to most of the river so hunting it with a cartopper has been sucessfull , just be aware of log jams if you give the river a try. Hope this helps.

afflicted 1
08-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I've choosen mcbride/valmount area becaus I would be meeting my 9yr son there from hinton and its four hours for me to meet him so doing it over a weekend will really limit our distance from our meet point at the junction, otherwise we would be kootnay bound for sure. If there are elk in the fields surely they are else where although they would be tasty!

nap
08-26-2012, 09:59 PM
First of all have a great time with your boy, I have never hunted up the holmes river way but have snowmobiled and quaded up that way. It was a few years back but there was an old trapper up that way about 20 klicks in, name was grego, havn't been up there to see him in years, he might not be up there any more. His cabin was just before the Chalko turnoff. I had a different type of expeirence when his dog attacked me on my sled. It all turned out good and we became friends. Pack a few extra beers with you and he will tell you lots of stories. I am sure he will remember the dog episode up at the chalko.
nap

Machinist
08-27-2012, 07:03 AM
Ahhh Yes GREGO !! , I didn't want to mention him in my post but yes he is the mad trapper of the Holmes , the last time we were in there he kinda went a bit nutz he was on the road threatening Hunters and going around to camps causeing a whole lot of trouble , The RCMP showed up after he threatened a group of hunters and arrested him, The CO and the Mounties searched his property and found two illegal moose hanging in his shed , they came around to most of the camps in the valley asking if he has been around to their camps causeing trouble, I too had a run in with his dog and good thing i was in a good mood or else it would have gotten a .410 blast for lunch , I don't know if he is still in there but I would avoid him bassed on my experience.

First of all have a great time with your boy, I have never hunted up the holmes river way but have snowmobiled and quaded up that way. It was a few years back but there was an old trapper up that way about 20 klicks in, name was grego, havn't been up there to see him in years, he might not be up there any more. His cabin was just before the Chalko turnoff. I had a different type of expeirence when his dog attacked me on my sled. It all turned out good and we became friends. Pack a few extra beers with you and he will tell you lots of stories. I am sure he will remember the dog episode up at the chalko.
nap

houndsman
08-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Grego is harmless, he has lived in that vally for the past 35 years & is a welth of info on that country.He can go nuts if you feed him booz.
If you want info bring him a can of snuff & a few beers .But get your info befor he drinks the beer.
Everyone in Mcbride loves him. If you meet him ask about the time he killed a grizzly that was mauling his hunting partner