PDA

View Full Version : Don't see any grouse around....Is it just me.

bosca
08-24-2012, 10:37 PM
I was doing some scouting around my old stomping grounds around Merritt last week. Drove through out the area north of Nicola lake and did alot of hiking as well. I used to put up blue grouse like crazy in this area but I spent two solid days and did not see a single grouse.
I have also spent some time up around Scuitto/Hosli/Bleeker area south of Kamloops and also no grouse. Has any one had similar experience or is it just my timing?

On the up side I have seen some good sized bucks and lots of deer...and bears.

warnniklz
08-24-2012, 10:57 PM
been seeing lots up north... actually I seen a C.O. hit one in Burns Lake today

Moose_Tracks
08-25-2012, 06:41 AM
I've heard grouse run on a 7 year cycle with predators like coyote and lynx. If it's been good in your area for a few years it might be on the downslide for a few years.

bosca
08-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Anyone from my area (Kamloops/Merritt) having similar experience? I realize grouse are not a huge priority for many but I personally really enjoy the meat. Its always a nice consellation prize to have a few grouse in the bag after a long days hunt...and no deer. Grouse catchitore .....Yuuummmy!!

curt
08-25-2012, 07:46 AM
The worse thing for grouse is a wet spring! really wet yrs the populations suffer I would think this year in many places will be crappy for birds seeing how it was the wettest spring in 4 decades.

keithb7
08-25-2012, 04:19 PM
I did about 35k on dirt roads this week. Saw 1.

ACE
08-25-2012, 07:46 PM
The worse thing for grouse is a wet spring! really wet yrs the populations suffer I would think this year in many places will be crappy for birds seeing how it was the wettest spring in 4 decades.

Curt has it right..... wet/cold/late spring = low bird numbers

Bowzone_Mikey
08-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Yes its just you ...... Pretty sure I almost drifted a few on the road today coming out of the woods

4 point
08-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Was out scouting last Saturday. Never saw a one which is very starnge where I was in Reg 3. As said wet spring probably hurt chick numbers.

Gunner
08-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Curt has it right..... wet/cold/late spring = low bird numbersThat's right and my area was cold and wet well into late June.I've seen 1 adult bird in the last month and a half,and don't expect many birds this season. Gunner

BigfishCanada
08-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Rained too much this spring, haven't seen one bird yet, very disappointed. Region 3-29 usually has some good birds, but also had more rain than the past 5 years.

Walkntalk
08-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Bosca,

1st time for me scoutin around North Kammy up the #5, but I saw a ton of chicken's. Maybe the area holds more than my usual spots, but got me excited for the fall. N. Barrier seems to be in good shape, a ton of chicks ... Can't speek for the chicks at the pubs tho, as I didn't stop in.

bosca
08-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Yes its just you ...... Pretty sure I almost drifted a few on the road today coming out of the woods
You from the Merritt/Kamloops area Bowzone? Prince George does not really fall into either area.

bosca
08-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Bosca,

1st time for me scoutin around North Kammy up the #5, but I saw a ton of chicken's. Maybe the area holds more than my usual spots, but got me excited for the fall. N. Barrier seems to be in good shape, a ton of chicks ... Can't speek for the chicks at the pubs tho, as I didn't stop in.
I have'nt really gone north of kamloops so I'm glad to hear that things look good up there. I haven't checked out the pubs lately but I must say that if you stay close to the river side the chicks seem to contragate. :smile:

yamadirt 426
08-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Every time I'm out I see 4 or 5. Not where you are though

Bowzone_Mikey
08-26-2012, 09:22 AM
You from the Merritt/Kamloops area Bowzone? Prince George does not really fall into either area.

;) ... Its all part of BC .... they are like Victorian Rabbits up here ... get yer Grouse tags and come on up

and I have seen a few on the summit FSR between kelowna and merrit in early july ... and a few on the Northshore area of Kamloops in Aug ;)

Phreddy
08-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Just hope some bright eyed, bushytailed, recent college graduate wildlife biologist from MOE doesn't try to gain points by recommending that all grouse hunting is closed due to the "unexplained" decline in grouse populations due to "hunting pressures". Seen this kind of crap come up before.

StoneChaser
08-26-2012, 12:37 PM
;) ... Its all part of BC .... they are like Victorian Rabbits up here ... get yer Grouse tags and come on up

and I have seen a few on the summit FSR between kelowna and merrit in early july ... and a few on the Northshore area of Kamloops in Aug ;)

Wow, you must have had a much drier spring that we did 100km to the west of you (we had a few hard weeks of wet weather that seems to have taken a toll on the chicks).

Travelling the back roads daily down the Holy Cross FSR, Augier, Hannay, and Marilla and most side roads off of them I am lucky to see 1 or 2 single birds in a day.

Did see one large covey on Friday, so hopefully they're just been hunkered down and I have just been missing them, (but I'm doubting that).

Bowzone_Mikey
08-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Comming out of Finger lake yesterday morning seen a few on the kluscus?? ... Gregg ck I seen a butt-load of chikkens during late spring bear ... up north on the 700 seen a bunch... down south around q-town later spring bear

Livewire322
08-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm in the loops area and I've seen 6+ in the last 4 days!

ruger#1
08-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Bosca,

1st time for me scoutin around North Kammy up the #5, but I saw a ton of chicken's. Maybe the area holds more than my usual spots, but got me excited for the fall. N. Barrier seems to be in good shape, a ton of chicks ... Can't speek for the chicks at the pubs tho, as I didn't stop in.Thats just great. Now i'am going to have to buy a bigger truck. He seen a ton and I only have a 3/4 ton truck. Man am I mad.

bosca
08-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Just hope some bright eyed, bushytailed, recent college graduate wildlife biologist from MOE doesn't try to gain points by recommending that all grouse hunting is closed due to the "unexplained" decline in grouse populations due to "hunting pressures". Seen this kind of crap come up before.
Based on the numbers I have seen it wouldn't make any difference anyway....
I think I agree with the general consencus here that the wet cold spring buggered the nesting period. I hope I'm wrong and it was just a matter of bad timing...but I doubt it.

skibum
08-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Behind Heffley Lake have not seen any while scouting for deer this year.

Troublesome as I have a two little guys who really want to pop a couple with dad this year

WKCotts
08-27-2012, 09:55 AM
seen tons this summer! most i have seen in years... lots of chicks too

lovemywinchester
08-27-2012, 10:58 AM
I encounter grouse on pretty much every hike I have been on around Kamloops. Not lots, but I do usually see one. Or they see me I should say, scaring the crap out of me.

russm86
08-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Yea, I have seen a fair number around, I don't usually pay a ton of attention to them usually but can't say that I have noticed any real decline in bird numbers. Have still been seeing them out and about but like I say don't pay an special attention to them as I only ever take one for dinner once in a blue moon. I know a couple of them scared the crap outta me the other day when I went to check trail cam. A couple weeks ago up by TRU in Kamloops I had to stop and let a dozen Chukar cross the road.

beni
08-27-2012, 06:57 PM
i've seen a fair number of grouse this year, haven't been to my normal stomping grounds yet though...

Fella
08-27-2012, 07:47 PM
I saw a couple south of Merritt earlier in July, and a friend of mine was backpacking in eastern Manning Park and saw a whole bunch on the weekend.

seanps
08-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Saw a brood of four or five on the road today. Actually had to get *out* of my truck and shoo them off the road.

http://i.imgur.com/Aq3pI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cWI70.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8Uoi9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aosbj.jpg

gcreek
08-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Haven't seen a lot of grouse here this year after our cold spring start.

I have seen 2 hens with chicks that weren't flying yet in the last 10 days. Don't think they'll make the winter.....

huntingmom
09-02-2012, 11:16 AM
seen tons this summer! most i have seen in years... lots of chicks too

If you don't mind my asking.....where did you see the 'tons' of grouse? ( It will be a nice replacement if I don't get my deer this year)

Glassman
09-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Just spent 2 full mornings out in the wood west of Kelowna and did not see a single grouse

huntingmom
09-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Saw only 7 in my nine days in CV area.

Moosehunter64
09-02-2012, 01:40 PM
I got a couple grouse just before dark yesterday near Port Alberni.

trapperRick
09-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Just got back from scouting this weekend and saw grouse on every road picked up 6 and I was not looking I was down by Taluk lake

77Gunner
09-03-2012, 07:17 PM
saw 7 today before noon, most ive ever seen, central island area. had a first time guy with me, he's in for a disappointment if he thinks thats normal, lol

s0ylentgreen
09-03-2012, 08:26 PM
i saw 5 grouse this weekend in west koots/monashees

Wackman
09-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Only see about one per day when out scouting right now. Used to be way more.

solo
09-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Saw a dozen on Saturday in region 3. The chicks were slightly small, but should be well fattened up for the tenth. Not stellar numbers, but much better than I was expecting.

BernDawg
09-03-2012, 09:55 PM
I've lived here for 6 years and I've seen 1 grouse, yup that's it, just one... I have seen a couple of small flocks of ring-necks but they're in a "no hunting" area..