PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to hunt this year?

bone
08-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Hi all, another noob question, I'm getting started on learning how to bow hunt. I haven't taken my CORE yet but I'm looking into courses. I know I will miss bow only season. If I do pass my CORE and obtain a license, how long is the process of paper work? Do I have a chance this year?

NaStY
08-24-2012, 09:33 AM
You can take the weekend course and be hunting on tuesday. All you need is a bc service center and be close to langley BCWF center. If you do mange all that on monday your tags will not able to be used till the next day... So bow season is very capable......

08-24-2012, 10:42 AM
How does a handle like "Bone" not get taken till now????
all these cool handles and all i could come up with was 835!

russm
08-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Pass your test,go out the next day with your paperwork to the appropriate locations then buy a license
then go hunting the next day.pretty simple.

CKvan
08-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I had my stuff all done within a day. Challenged the test in the AM, drove to BCWF, hopped over the bridge to ServiceBC in Maple Ridge, and boom, hunter number in hand all before my work day even started.

So yes, you won't miss any season unless you drag your feet :)

gREEn7o0
08-24-2012, 01:10 PM
yup what ^they^ said
I took CORE course, after passing test went home (it was already 3pm)
Next morning took test to BCWF got the certificate ($30) (takes 10 min.)
Take certificate to service center and get hunter number (free) (takes 5-10min)
went to canadian tire and bought license and tag ($35 for the license and $15/deer tag)

bone
08-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Great thanks guys! I'm pretty excited to get out and learn.

FYI I also use the "bone" handle on flybc.ca. check it out if anyone is a fly fishing.

The Hermit
08-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Okay part two of the answer... you can certainly get all the legal paperwork done in time BUT that alone won't make you ready to bow hunt... GAK I hate to say the word around here for fear of being branded an HBC Saint but WTF here goes... IMHO and ETHICALLY speaking, as a new bowhunter you should also have:

* regardless of the type of bow, the archery skills to be able to consistently shoot pie plate sized groups at 10, 15, or 20 yards max under hunting conditions and stick to those ranges on live game;

* know the limits of your equipment and your ability and act accordingly;

* understand how an arrow kills;

* an understanding of appropriate shot angles;

* know to wait an hour before tracking your game and know how to blood trail.

Ted Kennedy, BC's master trainer for the International Bowhunter Education Program is teaching a course THIS WEEKEND in the lower mainland and it would be awesome to take the course... it will really help you appreciate the sport much more and help you be successful at harvesting game! http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?85493-IBEP-course-in-Lower-Mainland-Aug-25-amp-26

Good luck this season and welcome to the sport!