PDA

View Full Version : Where to take son Mcbride/Valmount area?

afflicted 1
08-24-2012, 03:38 AM
My 9 year old son lives in Hinton and wants to go hunting some time soon this fall figured I could meet him in Valmount and try some where around there or Mcbride. An area that contains elk would be great but its more for the experience, can anyone point me in a general direction where we might have a decent hunt around these areas< thanks.

trapperRick
08-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Last year I hunted around Mcbride and picked up a 3 point white tail, and I called in 6 point bull elk but he was across the Fraser river and being new to the area I did not know what was behind the bull so did not shoot, next day I found the spot he was at and I could have nailed him but better safe than sorry, maybe this year. But I had god luck taking the Mountain view road at first there are homes on both sides but soon you can hunt on the right side. If you keep going until you take a sharp turn to your left there should be a gravel type pit or area on your right. As soon as your then get to a sharp turn to your left there is a road that goes straight take that one and park anywhere lots of good bush with deer, bear and elk. You can also find a dairy Farmer on the same road and he will let you hunt elk on his land for a small fee he if you get one he will use his tractor to retreive it. If you keep going instead of taking the straight road you can go a long way and there is lots of good spots to hunt. I was told that asking permission around Mcbride was a waste of time as no one will let you hunt on posted land but I asked only one land owner and he let me on no problem. Good Luck

snowhunter
08-25-2012, 07:59 AM
If you are looking for white-tails and black bear, you are in luck by going to Valemount-McBride are. Never encountered that many black bears anywhere in B.C. before. I meet a former resident of Valemount, a pastor and a hunter, who claimed that by whistling, he once counted eleven bears standing up from the tall grass. Moose are few and difficult to find, never seen an elk in that area. Have combed that area pretty good. Drifting down the Fraser should be good for white-tails, if you have permission to hunt private land. Along the eastern Kinbasket/Canoe Lake, I encountered white-tails in the valleys and few moose tracks. Lots of trout's in the Ptarmigan Creek. You Need a fourtrax to get up these valleys. Further down the Kinbasket, you can only access that logged out area by boat.

This area only looks like a prime moose hunting area, which I, after a couple of weeks hard and negative hunting, believe is deceiving to the eye ?