PDA

View Full Version : lighted nocks Illegal?????

teddybear26x
08-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Guy at the archery range saw me shooting with some luminocks today and asked if I was gonna hunt with them. I said yeah. He told me I should check it out cause we was pretty sure it was illegal. I have never seen this kind of information/Law in any reg's. Maybe I overlooked something.

So I ask you, is it illegal to use a lighted nock for hunting in BC??

The Dude
08-24-2012, 12:13 AM
That's a new one on me.....

Gateholio
08-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Legal for hunting but the snobs at P&Y won't allow game taken with them in thier sacred record book. ;)

The Dude
08-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Damn, well I was thinking of mounting a Contour Roam to my bow..... will have to be careful I don't shoot any P&Y bucks with it.
Cuz you know, I pass on so many every year.
*Ahem*

Ron.C
08-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Guy at the archery range saw me shooting with some luminocks today and asked if I was gonna hunt with them. I said yeah. He told me I should check it out cause we was pretty sure it was illegal. I have never seen this kind of information/Law in any reg's. Maybe I overlooked something.

So I ask you, is it illegal to use a lighted nock for hunting in BC??

As per above, no. As Gate said, if you shoot a record book animal using a lighted nock and want it entered you will have issues. Agree, stupid rule IMO.

Funny what some folks will tell you is illegal. A few weeks back, I was shooting broadheads at my archery club and some guy told me that carbon arrows were illegal for hunting because they splinter when the hit the animal. I just chuckled a bit and shrugged it off. Not worth arguing with some people. And I don't know how many people I have heard say its illegal to shoot Canada Geese.

.330 Dakota
08-24-2012, 08:08 AM
As per above, no. As Gate said, if you shoot a record book animal using a lighted nock and want it entered you will have issues. Agree, stupid rule IMO.

Funny what some folks will tell you is illegal. A few weeks back, I was shooting broadheads at my archery club and some guy told me that carbon arrows were illegal for hunting because they splinter when the hit the animal. I just chuckled a bit and shrugged it off. Not worth arguing with some people. And I don't know how many people I have heard say its illegal to shoot Canada Geese.

Good response...ya cant match wits with an unarmed man

russm86
08-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I had heard the Lumenok one before from a few different people, apparently, to their understanding of the regs, it falls under the "illegal to use artificial lights for the purpose of hunting" rule which I could kinda see how they get what they do. But as far as I know those arent actually under that law.

xtremearchery
08-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Yes lighted nocks are legal. I use the Nockernals. They are awesome. But like Gate House said they are not P&Y approved. In saying that though. There is how a product out by fusion Norway Ind. Which makes a glowing arrow vien. They are called Zeon Fusion veins. They are P&Y approved because they have no light. They are made from the same material as the fiber optic which is used for sight pins. Once they are charged by natural light they are good to go. We sell them at our shop. They come in 2" or 3". They shoot awesome and lauch a broadhead like no ones business. Try em out u may like em. http://www.norwayindustries.com/products/zeon-fusion.aspx

teddybear26x
08-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanx for the clarification everyone. I am no trophy hunter, just a man after to food to feed the family. So, I won't have any issues with P&Y.
I left a message with the local CO so I will know 100% real soon and will check back to fill you in. Thanx again. 1 more week and it's on.
Good luck this season and remember, your safety far out reaches harvesting an animal, arriving home safe to love ones is the goal of any hunt.

mikeboehm
08-24-2012, 03:54 PM
i used luminoks and thought they were cool, but after shooting them i found all lighted nocks are a waste of money. shooting fast bows you still cant find your arrow. i have been using the zeon fusion vanes for a year now and i love them very accurate and they stabilize very quick. ive found more arrows with the zeon fusion vanes on than the lighted nock

as for the pope and young club this is one of the rules. which includes the leupold vendetta bow mounted rangefinder and also a sight light

By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached.

BCHoyt
08-24-2012, 05:40 PM
I know they are illegal in washington state.. When I was buying them at cabelas the archery guy asked if I was planning on using them in washington as they are illegal.. Nope.. BC.. Totally Legal...

Also found out mechanical broadheads are illegal in washington state...

Lozzie
08-24-2012, 07:25 PM
People who can barely read, will most likely barely understand what they read.

I had heard the Lumenok one before from a few different people, apparently, to their understanding of the regs, it falls under the "illegal to use artificial lights for the purpose of hunting" rule which I could kinda see how they get what they do. But as far as I know those arent actually under that law.

hunting_princess
08-26-2012, 12:33 PM
i used luminoks and thought they were cool, but after shooting them i found all lighted nocks are a waste of money. shooting fast bows you still cant find your arrow. i have been using the zeon fusion vanes for a year now and i love them very accurate and they stabilize very quick. ive found more arrows with the zeon fusion vanes on than the lighted nock

as for the pope and young club this is one of the rules. which includes the leupold vendetta bow mounted rangefinder and also a sight light

By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached.

so a bow mounted range finder would that be illegal?

Bowzone_Mikey
08-26-2012, 01:11 PM
so a bow mounted range finder would that be illegal?

No ... the use of one however makes it ineligible for the harvested animal to be entered into the Pope and Young clubs record books.

In British Columbia .. Lighted Nocks, Electronic rangefinders etc with the exception of elentronically generated calls on some species (Big Game for the most part.... some small game like coyotes you are ok to use)... are all perfectly legal to hunt with and as such are eligible for the British Columbia record books if you you so desire.

Make sense?

300H&H
08-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I just bought 3 bolts with Burt Coyote luminocks on them.
They are from Excalibur and made for their crossbows.
Total cost with tax $67.00.
Last ones in Kelowna.
Got them at Hard Core.

goatdancer
08-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Are these like tracers for arrows?

Bowzone_Mikey
08-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Are these like tracers for arrows?

Ya ... when Videoing ... think of the Fox hockey puck ....

J_T
08-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Are these like tracers for arrows? Not so much 'tracers', they primarily serve two purposes, 1) provide the shooter with a better sense of shot placement and 2) make it easier to find the arrow once it's moved through the body. Both are key components in the first chapter to recovering the animal.

abbyfireguy
09-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Just put 12 of them on my Excalibur bolts! Work great and totally legal .

Big Lew
09-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Yes lighted nocks are legal. I use the Nockernals. They are awesome. But like Gate House said they are not P&Y approved. In saying that though. There is how a product out by fusion Norway Ind. Which makes a glowing arrow vien. They are called Zeon Fusion veins. They are P&Y approved because they have no light. They are made from the same material as the fiber optic which is used for sight pins. Once they are charged by natural light they are good to go. We sell them at our shop. They come in 2" or 3". They shoot awesome and lauch a broadhead like no ones business. Try em out u may like em. http://www.norwayindustries.com/products/zeon-fusion.aspx

x2! I actually asked Wayne to bring them in. I was able to find a lost arrow about an hour after darkness had fallen because of it's 'vane glow'. I saw it from several yards away.

Jerry Potts
11-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Wrap a small piece of SOLAS reflector tape around the arrow , just ahead of the nock. You have to put a drop of super glue on it and hold it with a bit of clear plastic bag til the glue sets up. Then you can easily find your lost arrows after dark with a flashlight. Lights up like a penlight.
Wish I had figured that out when I was a broke kid hunting for lost arrows