PDA

View Full Version : Moose LEH - 4-39D (revelstoke) -- early season tips ??

bucket
08-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Hey guys! I'm super excited to have a drawn "any bull moose" tag for 4-39d (immediately north of revelsoke and west of revelstoke lake. Very excited!

I'm looking for pointers perhaps on where in this zone people have seen much activity, and perhaps some early season calling tips ? I haven't been out in the bush there before.

I'm heading out on September 1st on the bow, obviously this is pre- main rut and I've read lots about calling and whatever but perhaps you have some tips on what to do differently so early in the season? I'd prefer to go at the end of September but SOMEONES decided to have a baby, limiting my allowed time out there to early september LOL

Thanks very much and wishing everyone a successful season!

Grousedaddy
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Hit the watering holes really early and at dusk prob your best chance with the heat good luck to you

GoatGuy
08-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Take a boat and quad that will fit in boat. Cross revelstoke lake, unload quad, find swamp, call moose in, shoot moose. Google earth will help you find the swamps. Not as easy as it used to be but there's still moose around.

coach
08-23-2012, 03:13 PM
GG's got the formula right. Numbers are down - but there's still some real nice bulls in there. Vegetation is pretty thick so best chance will be to call one in.

bucket
08-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Curious why I have to cross by boat ?? Google earth sure looks like there is a road running the south side of the lake at least 25km up it, and 4-39D only includes about the first 30k of the lake, so its most of the way - i'll be in a pickup with a quad for outings and camping for a week or so.

Brambles
08-23-2012, 04:48 PM
you don't need a boat for that MU, the 4-39D is road access. Be there for Sept 24-28. I'm still trying to decide if I'm gonna tell you anymore!!!

bucket
08-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Haha OK man you let me know when you decide :) Hopefully I can find some nice areas, and if no luck on this trip I might be able to get out 28th weekend too -- if well behaved in between the two

you don't need a boat for that MU, the 4-39D is road access. Be there for Sept 24-28. I'm still trying to decide if I'm gonna tell you anymore!!!

schilly101
08-25-2012, 11:55 AM
lol have fun is all i can say, cant say ive ever had the urge to hunt the area..watch out for the new locals running around on mountian bikes and running their dogs down the road..id stay well north of frisby..2 cents

GoatGuy
08-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Curious why I have to cross by boat ?? Google earth sure looks like there is a road running the south side of the lake at least 25km up it, and 4-39D only includes about the first 30k of the lake, so its most of the way - i'll be in a pickup with a quad for outings and camping for a week or so.
My bad......

bucket
08-26-2012, 07:53 PM
I have to say though, after a few days of scouring google earth I am a little perturbed and confused where to find them, oh well, going to have to put some miles on the ole boots

Brambles
08-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Maybe fill out your profile and post something up about yourself, you've been on 3 years you got 27 posts and half of it is you asking for help. Guys might be a little more willing to help if you committed to the website a little more and not just cherrypick during hunting season.

I've hunted that draw twice

bucket
08-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Geez man that isn't how I was trying to come across :/ I suppose, part of the reality of coming from a family that doesn't hunt and not knowing anyone into it is that you have a lot more questions than answers, but point duly noted..

I filled out my profile tho, and that is a whitetail i shot on my first season, the only big game i've been able to connect with, it was a super awesome experience out there with my brother and some advice we'd gathered and not much else -- trying to learn as I go so naturally i don't have too many answers yet, but hopefully over the next few years i'll have more to contribute.

cheers

Maybe fill out your profile and post something up about yourself, you've been on 3 years you got 27 posts and half of it is you asking for help. Guys might be a little more willing to help if you committed to the website a little more and not just cherrypick during hunting season.

I've hunted that draw twice

coach
08-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Good on ya, Bucket, for responding positively to Brambles suggestion. Hope you are able to connect this fall and share your story with the rest of us.

Brambles
08-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Good on ya, Bucket, for responding positively to Brambles suggestion. Hope you are able to connect this fall and share your story with the rest of us.

Agree'd, he's handling himself well, some guys would have definitly failed the test and spouted off, good on yah Bucket. PM me and I'll help you out!

604redneck
08-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Ya if u make it to the okanagan lemme know maybe we can make a day trip

NorthIslander
08-28-2012, 05:34 AM
Geez Bucket I`m as guilty as you I have got a lot of great info off this sight and am thankful for being able to be part of it. I don`t post a lot and am the only one in our family that hunts,just have to figure out how to ask nicely for some help on my first moose hunt in Region 7-12 south of Vanderhoof on Sept 29,

likesimpson
02-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Just a little help with this region. There are some areas that look promising. I talked to the biologist involved in the most recent moose counts (~5 years ago) and gave me some pointers on where to look. In order to respect some of the locals, PM me if you want to know more and based on your involvement on this website, I may divulge more info.

I was over there in the summer of 2013 and drove every allowable km of road. I also walked through many of the cuts, which was not easy, and came across one old moose track, ONE! and it had moss growing in it! Did see some caribou tracks!. I quaded into areas that I couldn't drive with the tracker and it is THICK, but some nice country. I am not much of a fan of hunting and not being able to see 10 ft in front of me and most of that area that I saw outside of cuts was pretty thick. I am 5'8" and I would step off the road and the underbrush was taller than me in many places. Not only thick, but steep. So put steep and thick together and makes it a tough hunt. Too add insult to injury, it was a stupid hot September, so that didn't help. I sat in a clearcut 3/4 the way up the mountain in shorts and no shirt, and got chased back into the vehicle because the horseflies had my number...I know, I know ......waaaa!

As for the south end, a LOT of mountain bikers, up top, the sled trails are blocked off to vehiclular traffic for good reason, to protect the Caribou sensitive areas. The north end is just old cuts for the most part, spattered with a few new ones which could produce later in the year if you get lucky.

There is a wildlife management initiative in this region and the rationale is "reduce the moose population in an attempt to reduce the wolf and other predator population in an effort to help the declining Mountain Caribou in the area" From what I read not too long ago there was a herd of about 600 bou's in there, now down to about 150 and slipping still. This year coming up they are starting to introduce rearing pens to keep the wolves and bears away from the young caribou. That's how desperate they are to try and save this herd, but the wolves are wrecking havoc on the caribou.

So all in all, yeah the odds are very good to get drawn, but unless you know the area well, I would try somewhere else. If you want a challenge or simply feel lucky, give it whirl, and no, I am not from Revelstoke.

Good luck!

monasheemountainman
02-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Just a little help with this region. There are some areas that look promising. I talked to the biologist involved in the most recent moose counts (~5 years ago) and gave me some pointers on where to look. In order to respect some of the locals, PM me if you want to know more and based on your involvement on this website, I may divulge more info.

I was over there in the summer of 2013 and drove every allowable km of road. I also walked through many of the cuts, which was not easy, and came across one old moose track, ONE! and it had moss growing in it! Did see some caribou tracks!. I quaded into areas that I couldn't drive with the tracker and it is THICK, but some nice country. I am not much of a fan of hunting and not being able to see 10 ft in front of me and most of that area that I saw outside of cuts was pretty thick. I am 5'8" and I would step off the road and the underbrush was taller than me in many places. Not only thick, but steep. So put steep and thick together and makes it a tough hunt. Too add insult to injury, it was a stupid hot September, so that didn't help. I sat in a clearcut 3/4 the way up the mountain in shorts and no shirt, and got chased back into the vehicle because the horseflies had my number...I know, I know ......waaaa!

As for the south end, a LOT of mountain bikers, up top, the sled trails are blocked off to vehiclular traffic for good reason, to protect the Caribou sensitive areas. The north end is just old cuts for the most part, spattered with a few new ones which could produce later in the year if you get lucky.

There is a wildlife management initiative in this region and the rationale is "reduce the moose population in an attempt to reduce the wolf and other predator population in an effort to help the declining Mountain Caribou in the area" From what I read not too long ago there was a herd of about 600 bou's in there, now down to about 150 and slipping still. This year coming up they are starting to introduce rearing pens to keep the wolves and bears away from the young caribou. That's how desperate they are to try and save this herd, but the wolves are wrecking havoc on the caribou.

So all in all, yeah the odds are very good to get drawn, but unless you know the area well, I would try somewhere else. If you want a challenge or simply feel lucky, give it whirl, and no, I am not from Revelstoke.

Good luck!

his tag is still going? dang I want a two year moose leh haha

GoatGuy
02-14-2014, 02:01 AM
The most recent survey was this year. Moose are definitely down but can be found in all the usual spots.