PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile house

270WIN
08-22-2012, 06:58 PM
well still up in the air was going to chase elk in reg eight but thinking of hitting some old ground i use to hunt. It been a few years since i have hunted far from home. that being squamish . Been playing with the thought of heading up into valitine lake just out of hundred mile the week of sept 5. I limited to access do to I have a car right now so cant go to some of the areas I would like to but i know few areas in this area were I can walk into. just wondering if any one has been up in the area and how deer population looks. looking for my first bow kill so not looking for a trophy but any deer taken with a bow should be a trophy. also will have my pontoon boat so any recomandation on flys for that this time of year be good.

BearSniper
08-22-2012, 08:13 PM
A decent car will get you to the Canim, Deka, Drewery, and Bowers lakes areas. Hoof it into the bush from there and you should see animals. The Wolves are sure healthy in number, so they have to be eating something. Put an arrow in a Wolf if you get the chance. Too many of them.

Ruger4
08-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Put an arrow in a Wolf if you get the chance.
that right there would be an awesome trophy !!

ianwuzhere
08-22-2012, 09:22 PM
saw two does a week or so ago near valentine.. lake was lookin beautiful as usual, never fished it tho...
its been soo hot lately i think most of the animals are hiding..

Brian011
08-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Lots of logging around there to check out and a good amount of deer. There will definitely be bucks in there, just a matter of finding them.

Flingin' Sticks
08-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Out past Lone Butte towards Sheridan Lake has seen quite a bit of logging in the last couple of years. There's also been a bit on the road out to Watch Lake (before you get to the lake intersection). I may just have to head down to some of those old stomping grounds myself this year.

BCptown
08-24-2012, 07:02 PM
was up in 70 mile two weeks ago.... saw one doe..

Moose_Tracks
08-25-2012, 06:57 AM
I'm from 100 Mile House and woldn't waste time planning a hunting trip here. Just have a look at the regs. when all does are only harvestable on LEH then you know you don't have a healthy population of deer. Area get's hunted hard due to it's proximity to the LMD. Lot's of people would argue this point simply because in the spring they see herds of deer migrating back from the river breaks and think the area is inondated with deer. If you've done any amount of hunting around here in the last 10 years you'd probably tend to agree with me. September is always a tough hunt because of the foilage and hot temperatires.

Cyrus
08-25-2012, 09:08 AM
...no hunting in the peak of the rut is the worst part of that area!!

afflicted 1
08-25-2012, 06:14 PM
If your not picky about size you don't have to look far off the highway up here right now anywhere from about 81 mile north to about 87....

recoil
08-25-2012, 06:56 PM
I doubt its lower mainlanders that are the casue of low deer numbers; princeton, merritt and kamloops are all much closer yet still hold good numbers of deer. I think the locals both native and non that hunt year round and harvest way over their bag limit that are the main problem. A healthy cat population also keeps deer numbers in check, i found a kill in the back of my property earlier this year, it was this years fawn.

I personally find the population to be decent right now, however they are spooky and road hunting sometimes doesnt produce results it does elsewhere in the province. Get on the trails and you will be surprised how much sign you see.

chris
08-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Well I hunt around 100mile all the time because i have a place there but if I were to be just picking a spot to try it wouldnt be my first choice. For the same distance from the lower mainland you could be in the okanogan and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to read the regs and see that there are more openings there. Dont misunderstand me, there are deer there and some crankers at that but dont expect to get one every time. Especially with those damn lower mainlanders getting them all, man those guys must be great hunters.

sarg
08-26-2012, 10:37 AM
I doubt its lower mainlanders that are the casue of low deer numbers; princeton, merritt and kamloops are all much closer yet still hold good numbers of deer. I think the locals both native and non that hunt year round and harvest way over their bag limit that are the main problem.
and thats the biggest problem , the hunt all year up there,
why would a local say "ya it good hunt come up and hunt in my hunting grounds":shock: i run in to a guy yesterday scouting and he wass telling me how bad the hunting was but couldn't keep a stright story, my buddy belived him but i don't we seen 5 does mid day,