PDA

View Full Version : chilliwack shooting area

Vancouver1234
08-22-2012, 05:37 PM
hey, just wondering where a nice place would be in chilliwack to go off into the bush for a day do a little hiking and shooting and maybe take a few pictures and what not?

thanks for your time

yukon john
08-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Been a while since I was there but Mt Thurston used to be good for that, anywhere off of Chilliwakck river. If you wanted to see some goats etc try up skagit river (no hunting for goats, but great for pics)

rides bike to work
08-22-2012, 09:43 PM
If you go up chilliwack lake rd and turn left towards foley lake just past ford mountain jail this branches off to alot of area there is some hikes up to some nice peaks as you can head up many mountains from there .

On the way their there will be many clear cuts to shoot in. Lots of spots you can reach out 300 yards .

This brings up an issue that is happening in this area.
I brought a out of town friend up to a nice area I like to shoot . It's a very nice drive up with a 4x4 as there are large cross ditches and some what deactivated roads . We were way up the mountain set up in a cut that was safe to shoot at when a guy on a BMW enduro dirt bike pulse up and walks to us and told us what we where doin was illegal and totally unsafe, he told us we weren't allowed to shoot within 400m of the road.

I explained to him that that rule only applied on certain roads and highways and that the road we were on was a logging rd and deactivated at that.

He told me that I didn't know my regulations and stood his ground he explained he was doing geology work in the area and if had screw there he would just shut down the whole road.

I told him that would be a good idea to go right ahead

He said that he wasn't going to argue with guys with guns

We had not even taken the guns out of the cases yet we set up arable and targets

He told we would be in big trouble if the cops showed up and then left

My friends are new to shooting and were quite put off by this and wouldn't shoot . I wanted to check my gun so I took 4 shots and we packed up and left

Since then I have heard of 4 other occasions were the same guy harassed other guys about shooting all around the chilliwack valley

How do you deal with this kind of situa

Tikka270
08-22-2012, 10:04 PM
I'll be heading up there soon to do some shooting. I go up there to do all my shooting, never ran into a guy like that.

shottyshooter
08-22-2012, 11:46 PM
BANG! What's that... BANG! I can't... BANG! hear you. BANG!BANG!BANG!

Maybe carry a copy of the regs that list the roads with firearms set-backs. Sounds like he's just an anti.

Steeleco
08-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Wherever you go, pack out what you pack in please. Too many guys leave shift for others to pick up. You'll see what I mean when you get there!!

Tikka270
08-23-2012, 12:38 AM
I always end up packing out more then double what I came with. Casings everywhere!

Gateholio
08-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Tell him to call the cops if he doesn't like it.

If you go up chilliwack lake rd and turn left towards foley lake just past ford mountain jail this branches off to alot of area there is some hikes up to some nice peaks as you can head up many mountains from there .

On the way their there will be many clear cuts to shoot in. Lots of spots you can reach out 300 yards .

This brings up an issue that is happening in this area.
I brought a out of town friend up to a nice area I like to shoot . It's a very nice drive up with a 4x4 as there are large cross ditches and some what deactivated roads . We were way up the mountain set up in a cut that was safe to shoot at when a guy on a BMW enduro dirt bike pulse up and walks to us and told us what we where doin was illegal and totally unsafe, he told us we weren't allowed to shoot within 400m of the road.

I explained to him that that rule only applied on certain roads and highways and that the road we were on was a logging rd and deactivated at that.

He told me that I didn't know my regulations and stood his ground he explained he was doing geology work in the area and if had screw there he would just shut down the whole road.

I told him that would be a good idea to go right ahead

He said that he wasn't going to argue with guys with guns

We had not even taken the guns out of the cases yet we set up arable and targets

He told we would be in big trouble if the cops showed up and then left

My friends are new to shooting and were quite put off by this and wouldn't shoot . I wanted to check my gun so I took 4 shots and we packed up and left

Since then I have heard of 4 other occasions were the same guy harassed other guys about shooting all around the chilliwack valley

How do you deal with this kind of situa

Ride Red
08-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Tell him to call the cops if he doesn't like it.
Exactly right. Next time, ask him if you're drawing to much attention to his outdoor crop.

Tarp Man
08-23-2012, 07:38 AM
IF you want to do some shooting, join a gun club. Chilliwack Valley is not the best place to try and do what you are describing without getting interrupted by anti's or other hunters, or WHY. You can find areas away from others, but the Valley gets swarmed on weekends, and dirt bikers/ATV'ers/4x4's cover a lot of ground and can run into your shooting range if you are not very careful. Be sure of your location and no shooting areas, (there is one around the Ford Mountain Correction Center) and like was said, pack ALL your garbage out.
I grew up hiking this area, and reserve a special appreciation for it. Not meaning to offend, but too many outdoor users come to the Chilliwack Valley from the GVRD and shoot scheit up thinking "it's the mountains, there isn't anyone out here" and leave all their trash with no consideration for other users, or the environment they come out to to let their hair down in. That is why I recommend a gun club. No interruptions for ATVs/dirt bikes/ anti's and you get proper range amenities (benches, target stands, etc)

articcat
08-23-2012, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't shoot there way to many people

mijinkal
08-23-2012, 08:15 AM
There's a couple no shooting areas listed in the synopsis, but anything off the main road, and you should be good to go. I have a nice spot up near Mt Thurston that I go shooting all the time. It does get pretty busy up there, so make shure you have a nice private area.
I was told by the RCMP last time I was up there that you have to stay 400m off any main FSR, which is a load of crap. I started arguing with him, then his partner came over and joined in the conversation. I didn't have the regs to show them as proof, so I just stopped arguing and went on my way.

BTW, the 400m restricted areas are on page 13 of the synopsis.

greybark
08-23-2012, 09:34 AM
I don`t understand the reluctance to join the local Gun club and support your shooting activities . I guess complaining is a much easier thing to do . Heck you drive past the CHWK club to your shooting areas .LOL
Cheers

sky-gunner
08-23-2012, 09:56 AM
I don`t understand the reluctance to join the local Gun club and support your shooting activities . I guess complaining is a much easier thing to do . Heck you drive past the CHWK club to your shooting areas .LOL
Cheers lots of People want to shoot beyond 300yds, shoot at their own pace, change targets when they want to without waiting. Also some volunteer range officers power trip, and can be real dicks. Those are a couple reasons why someone wouldn't want to join a club. I like the range myself for load development, but I like the bush for practical practice.

shottyshooter
08-23-2012, 10:42 AM
I belong to and support my local range - but I prefer to take my son and plink at several of the gravel pits that are out there in the woods. It's a safe backdrop with one entry and it's usually just a small part of a longer day enjoying the woods.

Like everyone keeps stressing - respect other users and clean up after both yourself and the lazy a-holes that left their crap there before you. Even with the 22 I lay a tarp out to collect the little casings. It really helps because if you leave it clean theres a greater chance that the next guy will be more inclined to do so too. If there is ANY existing mess people psychologically justify that they aren't the source of the problem they are only following the herd...

rides bike to work
08-23-2012, 02:38 PM
I joined the chilliwack gun club for a year and found they were very unorganized

Very hard to contact the right person to join
Constant events wich puts a stop to all shooting
10 dollars to bring a guest and you can't bring the same guest twice
Police officer types that can be very unfriendly as range marshal
Constant problems with the fob

Now I shoot in the bush as a part of my scouting routine
I do stick to weekdays though it is busy on weekends

Gateholio
08-23-2012, 09:36 PM
I've been a member of our club for years, use the range regularly, but also shoot on Crown land frequently. As long as you are safe and clean up, I don't see the issue. Try to keep contact with the public positive, be a good ambassador. :)

Vancouver1234
08-23-2012, 10:50 PM
What abouit neskawatch river fsr is it legal to shoot around there? I wouldn't be going soley to shoot if like to explore a bit sawell and have heard its nice there. Wouldn't mind doing a little shooting while there is all

stixnstones
08-28-2012, 06:02 PM
cant access mt thurston at all right now trees n major washout.goodluck

Deeboe
08-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Hope you don't mind lots of garbage in your pics... I spent about half a day last year scouting and exploring around chilliwack and was disgusted with the amount of trash i came across in the bush. There wasn't a road or grade that was spared... I won't go back there. I suggest doing your shooting at the range unless you travel farther out of the valley.

akyne
08-28-2012, 06:58 PM
What abouit neskawatch river fsr is it legal to shoot around there? I wouldn't be going soley to shoot if like to explore a bit sawell and have heard its nice there. Wouldn't mind doing a little shooting while there is all

Nesakakwatch is legal so long as you are beyond the 800M no shooting area thet encompasses both sides of Chilliwack Lake Rd from the Ford Mtn Pen. and beyond. Getting up the Nesakwatch road is another story as it washes out almost every year. Find a big cut where you have a good view all around and a defined backstop to shoot into. There are a few very well travelled hiking routes up that valley heading up to the Slesse Memorial and other surrounding peaks that aren't all that apparent from the road, and the folks that hike those trails might not appreciate it if somebody started shelling the hill around them. Likewise, I don't know if the boys from Tamihi have been in there this year but they have been logging in there on and off the last few years. Use your head and you'll be fine.

Kudu
06-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Cheers

I have joined many clubs in my life - very few are not run by committee of morons with overzelous range volunteers.

Some clubs are still being run as they were in the 70's and their management believe that there is need to change!

When you find a club that understands it needs you, as much as you need it - then stick with it!

I prefer to jump in my razor and go a long, long way back before we start shooting at gongs.

olympia
06-07-2014, 11:05 PM
poco rod and gun is the shiznit, they are oranganized and the range officers are pretty cool. My only complaint is the wait time to get your bench since its so crowded on

tim3500
06-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Chilliwack club has changed a bit in the last couple years . I just recently rejoined . I left due to the unorganized BS it seems to be better now . Being local I refuse to take part in the bench road crowd as when some one gets hurt up there I will have no problem saying it wasnt me ! It is such a nice area up there to shame that no one cleans up its worse than Sylvester RD IMO

hoochie
06-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Cheers

I cant speak on behalf of the Chilliwack range, but I can say this; At my range, there are only benches. You cannot be in any other position than sitting at your school desk. This is great for when I am working up a load, but next to useless as far as developing marksmanship. There is nothing I have ever encountered while hunting that is remotely close to sitting on the stool with my gun on a rest. How does a person develop their skills and practise shots they would encounter in a hunting situation if not practiced in the bush? Im all for the "range" when practicing pistol and shotgun drills, but there's no real substitute for shooting in the bush.
How would a person practice shooting up or down a hill? how would they practice different shooting positions?
And, as others have said; lots of times at the range, there is always "that guy" the range NAZI who for whatever reason is just a dick.
Soon they will probably try to ban "double gun cases", I don't know how many times I have heard someone give another guy hell because as he was putting his rifles away, one of them was facing in a direction he didn't like.
I don't go to the range in need of a babysitter, and I see these knobs time and time again.

olympia
06-08-2014, 12:49 AM
I cant speak on behalf of the Chilliwack range, but I can say this; At my range, there are only benches. You cannot be in any other position than sitting at your school desk. This is great for when I am working up a load, but next to useless as far as developing marksmanship. There is nothing I have ever encountered while hunting that is remotely close to sitting on the stool with my gun on a rest. How does a person develop their skills and practise shots they would encounter in a hunting situation if not practiced in the bush? Im all for the "range" when practicing pistol and shotgun drills, but there's no real substitute for shooting in the bush.
How would a person practice shooting up or down a hill? how would they practice different shooting positions?
And, as others have said; lots of times at the range, there is always "that guy" the range NAZI who for whatever reason is just a dick.
Soon they will probably try to ban "double gun cases", I don't know how many times I have heard someone give another guy hell because as he was putting his rifles away, one of them was facing in a direction he didn't like.
I don't go to the range in need of a babysitter, and I see these knobs time and time again.

have you ever sat behind a guy that was putting away his rifles and turned the barrel towards you to get the second rifle to fit in the case?

edgy
06-08-2014, 07:09 AM
Hope you don't mind lots of garbage in your pics... I spent about half a day last year scouting and exploring around chilliwack and was disgusted with the amount of trash i came across in the bush. There wasn't a road or grade that was spared... I won't go back there. I suggest doing your shooting at the range unless you travel farther out of the valley.
I wish there were a hell of a lot more people like you around. For some unknown reason, lower mainlanders think it is there god given right to drive 100 km and use the earth as a ****in garbage dump, Chilliwack, Mission, Harrison, it's all the same, every place you can access by road has turned into Vancouvers weekend dumping ground, wish all of these idiots would just stay in the city, don't need any more garbage out here, if you can't pick up your shit, stay the **** away!!'

hoochie
06-08-2014, 07:18 AM
have you ever sat behind a guy that was putting away his rifles and turned the barrel towards you to get the second rifle to fit in the case?

no but some people do. so either the case goes left to right.. across the firing line in both directions, or it goes front to back; so that one is down range and the other points to the "safe area". makes some people come unglued.

MichelD
06-08-2014, 08:16 AM
The Chilliwack area and the nearby logging roads are too close to so much human activity now that i don't think it really qualifies as "the bush" any more, though i agree that the arrogant knob who claimed to be doing geology work in the area sounds like a real doughhead.

When it comes to garbage and casings laying around, I hate garbage in the bush as much as the next guy but it seems to me in southwest BC it appears in greatest amounts in what appears to be a 20 to 40 minute drive from places like Chilliwack, Mission, Abbotsford and Squamish.

In Vancouver or Surrey, people dump shit at schools, alleys and vacant lots if they are going to act like pigs.

BearStump
06-08-2014, 09:07 PM

I have joined many clubs in my life - very few are not run by committee of morons with overzelous range volunteers.
Some clubs are still being run as they were in the 70's and their management believe that there is need to change!
When you find a club that understands it needs you, as much as you need it - then stick with it!
I prefer to jump in my razor and go a long, long way back before we start shooting at gongs.

I joined the chilliwack gun club for a year and found they were very unorganized
Very hard to contact the right person to join
Constant events wich puts a stop to all shooting
10 dollars to bring a guest and you can't bring the same guest twice
Police officer types that can be very unfriendly as range marshal
Constant problems with the fob
Now I shoot in the bush as a part of my scouting routine
I do stick to weekdays though it is busy on weekends

Yes, I have had the same experience with the chwk F&G Club. Too many blanket rules to compensate for dummies. Unorganized, and too many grumpy old farts that shoot there so often they think its "their" range.
When I go out to shoot, I like to do it on my time, not wait for someone else. I like to set my targets when and where I like. And I've been at this for long enough to know the rules, Regulations and common sense that goes along with responsible shooting. I dont need some old fart with nothing better to do telling me his opinion.