PDA

View Full Version : looking for a little bit of direction

Jason Melo
08-21-2012, 07:45 PM
I finally got my boss to give me a week off work in october (second week of october)
What Im looking for is some simple general direction

Im planing on heading out to the west kootneys but cant decided between M.U 4-9 4-8 4-7. Ill be hunting for mule deer, whitetail, elk and moose!
Wondering about campsites preferably forestry campsites. I have a camper and two quads and a cartop boat. A little help would be greatly appreciated as I have never been to the kootneys before and have absolutley no idea where to camp or hunt in this region anything helps.

Oh yea and pms are ok if u dont want alot of ppl to know

Thanks alot!!

hunter1993ap
08-21-2012, 07:48 PM
i'll be heading west kootenay direction this year as well. i have no idea where to go as it will be my first time there. i know i'll be putting many miles on my boots trying to find some new areas. pick a spot and start scouting! good luck

Jason Melo
08-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Hope you find what you are looking for! If You come across a red gmc seirra duramax with an okanagan camper on it stop in and have a drink or two!

pnbrock
08-21-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm still waiting for h1947 to invite me to join him .ill keep waiting.

r106
08-21-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm still waiting for h1947 to invite me to join him .ill keep waiting.

I think everyone is. LOL

Jason Melo
08-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Anything at all??

Westslope
08-22-2012, 12:26 AM
May want to narrow done your MU a bit, this is such a broad question. I am sure there is plenty of rec sites in any of those 3 areas, just my .2

Jason Melo
08-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the advice Westslope never even thought of that.

Iam leaning more towards 4-9 if that helps??

Canadian Dad
08-23-2012, 10:33 PM
The region has a ton of area that you can see all species mentioned.
4-9 has some steep areas with some thick country. On top of the Paulson pass is a good place to start. This is the area around HWY 3 and HWY 3B. Some big slashes and great ridges.
4-8 has great country for all species. Pend D'Oreille is best for whitetail and elk but expect tons of traffic. A lot of country available on top of the Bombi summit.
4-7 has some steep, steep country and I have mostly avoided really exploring. But there is one monster mulie that I will one day see when I have a rifle.
Definitely grab a backroads map for this area.
Watch out for some areas where hunting is prohibited using a motorized vehicle.