PDA

View Full Version : general goat hunting questions and pack list

b.c hunter 88
08-21-2012, 06:42 PM
hey every one
So i'm normally a road hunter but got some areas that the bigs one gotta be at since they are hard to get to.
I'm planing on a mountain goat hunt this year never done it before.
On this trip il be also looking for deer (maybe bear but seems like allot to pack out)
I'm going in Sept and Nov Sept i figer Sept will be hotter and Nov colder.
what the difference between big game bags and cheese cloth ?
what should be in my pack for just a day trip ?
thanks

ianwuzhere
08-21-2012, 07:02 PM
something to put the deboned meat in- big game bags i believe are just bags out of cheese cloth.. if u dont have any of them u can use glad garbage bags. bring like 5 or 6 of them so can double em up. ive used them to put meat in a creek-cool it down then pack out.
-bring spot, knive (s), optics, camera, and lots of energy :)

BCHunterTV
08-21-2012, 09:56 PM
*buy cotton pillow cases for game bags, the flies cant lay their eggs through them and there washable
*i see your asking for what to bring for a day pack..always pack for a overnighter just incase

kitnayakwa77
08-22-2012, 09:54 AM
I would pretty much plan on an overnighter.....whether or not you want to bring the gear for it is up to you (lots of weight to pack if you get a goat).
If you can get back to treeline I'd just pack lots of food and water, toque/warm clothes, a mini- saw, and a siltarp so you can have fire and shelter.

Krico
08-22-2012, 07:18 PM
You can theoretically get away with as little as a rifle, knife, pack, binos and the clothes on your back. On the other end of the spectrum you can take everything necessary to stay overnight comfortably and be well fed to the end of day 2, along with things like spot messenger, first aid supplies, etc. Come November there's a pretty good chance you'll want crampons on your boots at some point...It's up to you what you bring. For me it would depend on how far from the truck I expect to be actually hunting, and whether I think I could navigate down in the dark safely or not.

b.c hunter 88
08-23-2012, 01:32 PM
thanks guys you have all given me al-lot to think about.
My back up place this year is atv all the way to mabe 1 hr tops to hike to the peak and ridge line this i could see a day pack
My first pick is about a 4 hr hike to the lake then im told 1 or 2 hrs to the top this i think would be a overnight thing.
However there are a bunch of free to use cabins all over the area i think they may work to my advantage.

EvanG
08-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Do a scouting trip and stash some basic suff and maybe a bit of food. bring along a head lamp, moleskin and some fresh warm clothes for the night, also dont forget a knife sharpener, you can dull a knife out pretty quick and then the work get that much tougher if u get something.

rcar
08-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Many a hunter & hiker have gone into the bush with a day trip planned only to have something go wrong and have to spend the night. Plan for the worse case scenerio and be ready to spend the night.

Also, I don't remember any place in PR when I lived there to rent a Sat phone but if you can get your hands on one for the day it would be a great insurance policy if something goes wrong. If you are travelling through the LM to get to your hunting area, there are a few places that rent for about $10/day.

good luck!!!

b.c hunter 88
08-25-2012, 11:36 AM
thanks ill be prepared for a overnight stay for sure. plan to make a camp but you never know if youl make back to there.
now my last question is under your camo mainly under the pants whats the best to wear boxers,tights,...ect
I'm planing on a 4 day hunt and hate to get sore down there.

lorneparker1
08-25-2012, 11:49 AM
whatever you do dont forget the bottle on the right

http://thesandytongue.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/gold-bond-foot-n-body-powder.jpg

d6dan
08-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Lorne,I guess your taking GB with you on your Goat hunt?.:wink:

lorneparker1
08-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Lorne,I guess your taking GB with you on your Goat hunt?.:wink:

you know it sir!!! Wouldnt be found without now a days. Stuff is as important as optics IMO hHAHAH

b.c hunter 88
08-25-2012, 08:32 PM
cant see the pic

whatever you do dont forget the bottle on the right

http://thesandytongue.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/gold-bond-foot-n-body-powder.jpg

b.c hunter 88
08-27-2012, 07:12 AM
thanks i think theres issues with my lap top i see the image fine today.
ill be getting some of that stuff fore sure.
i got 2 non hunting freinds comeing with me so if i shoot sumthing it wount be so hard lol.