PDA

View Full Version : pre season scouting

wsm
08-21-2012, 02:54 PM
so how many of you got out scouting ?
how many of you guys and gals are happy or not so happy with their findings??

08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
I scout all year.
it is the reason im going nuts waiting fr the damned opener!!!

lovemywinchester
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Not so happy myself. Im surpised at the lack of BIG bucks on my trail cams. Or any buck for that matter. Figured I had a few awesome spots but not so.

wsm
08-21-2012, 03:11 PM
i have scouted and seen roughly 30 + bucks in 3 different areas. but like was said very small bucks . only 2 with decent head gear

Whonnock Boy
08-21-2012, 03:19 PM
I have been out a few times with only one buck to show for it. Not a bad buck though. He makes the 4 point regs by a couple at least. Other than that, not a whole lot. I do have an area that I am going to target for the opener. I thought about going in for a hike around last week, but thought better of it. I did not want to gong the hole, so I am content going in blind.

b.c hunter 88
08-21-2012, 03:23 PM
been trying but have yet to get out all tho theres a nice 3x4 buck in around the house

Wrayzer
08-21-2012, 05:22 PM
I usually don't start scouting until Aug 1, then its gaurenteed the animals will be in there spots for the opener. I start putting salts and Oats out to keeep them around the cameras as their daily routine. Its always exciting exploring an area that's caught your eye when looking at maps and Google Earth all Winter.

I've been somewhat happy with spots my cam has been in, and some spots Myself and a buddy have put em in, some legal animals that we could potentially harvest that are of other species than Whitey or Muley deer.

ianwuzhere
08-21-2012, 06:10 PM
i scout as much as i can- drop cams as much as i can and see what happends..
earlier this year i went north into the yukon and back down and scouted out some great areas.. got a sheep lil later as well.
scouting pays off bigtime. wish i could do more- like have aug-nov off :)

Brian011
08-21-2012, 06:25 PM
I've had bad luck with my cams this yr so far with bears and batteries. I got a couple buck pics but mostly small bucks. I have however seen some really good buck while I've been hiking around, a couple big mulies and a couple decent whitetails. Id like to get a look at either during the first week of now season!

ianwuzhere
08-21-2012, 06:55 PM
it would be nice to have a whole wack of trail cams that can email u the pix as soon as they are taken instead of headin out and checkin..
ive got a few spots in cell reception that id love to throw em down.. would be the ultimate scouting..
imagine seeing a booner mid-day walk by your came while your at work.. i think that would be the fastest ive ever been sick, except the first time i drank when i was younger and downed a whole mickey ;)