PDA

View Full Version : clinton sheep

shed-hunter1
08-20-2012, 06:02 PM
i went home for the weekend and heard the local natives are gone to start hunting the chasm sheep now that its open for leh are they legally aloud to do this if so i guesse that herd will be gone

ianwuzhere
08-20-2012, 07:16 PM
just like they've done for hundreds of years??

redthorn
08-20-2012, 07:23 PM

You mean with arrows, spears, and lots of hiking right?

604redneck
08-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Ya you would think the government would make them use traditional hunting methods for their traditional hunting grounds...tbh this subject is pretty sensitive since it was asian and europeans that descimated herds

shed-hunter1
08-20-2012, 07:36 PM

I thought the sheep may have been protected always some smart ass on here

rcar
08-20-2012, 07:55 PM
the only reason Asians and Europeans did that was that the natives didn't have the guns to do it themselves, lets be serious.

Wow....and we call the US Southern folks rednecks....

Deadshot
08-20-2012, 08:29 PM
i went home for the weekend and heard the local natives are gone to start hunting the chasm sheep now that its open for leh are they legally aloud to do this if so i guesse that herd will be gone

That was the fear of the regional biologist when they announced the draw. It'll probably be one & done for that draw.

Laurence_Erickson
08-20-2012, 09:42 PM
you guys are jumping to to many conclusions already .. I am sure it will be managed as every other ceremonial hunt that takes place in this province .

pnbrock
08-20-2012, 09:59 PM
That's funny erickson!!

BlacktailStalker
08-20-2012, 10:00 PM
you guys are jumping to to many conclusions already .. I am sure it will be managed as every other ceremonial hunt that takes place in this province .

lol !!!!!!!!!!!

The Dude
08-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Nothing new....they've been doing this for years. Would have been a season a long time ago were it not for the poaching that goes on there.
Also rumours of Natives accompanying a white local who hunts with clients........but doesn't get nailed cuz it's a "Sustenance Hunt".
Then the horns go South.

BlacktailStalker
08-21-2012, 07:26 AM
That's been going on for 30 years +.
know a guy who is friends with some of the elders and have heard ALL about the hammer mulies and rams that go out that way (south for cash) He has a picture of 5 full curl rams in the back of a truck from many years ago. You'd be surprised how much $ these black market hunts fetch. He sure doesn't agree with it but like everyone else says, what can you do about it? Nothing. Nobody cares except the people that can't do much about it.
I had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting some of them first hand four years ago cat hunting. My friend had grown up as a kid knowing some of them and one wanted to ride along, so he felt obligated but figured sure why not because he/she knew the areas well. What a gong show all that person wanted us to do was shoot a moose or does that were thought to be pregnant, not come for a cat hunt :mad: To top it off that person never had a rifle, they wanted us to shoot it and obviously deal with it. You can imagine what I said in return.

I should add we later met this persons mom who was extremely nice, mind you things change as you age we all know that. Very knowledgeable about the game in the area...

srupp
08-21-2012, 07:55 AM
seen it first hand and even know what the headgear goes for $$$$$$$$$$$$ grrrrrrrrrrrrr

however as far as sheep meat goes they never did eat it, have yet to find one native in the area that can stomach sheep meat...never aquired a taste for it..over the years seen a few exceptional rams headgear fresh killed in June..July ,August sustinence in this case means $$$$ for the curls and thats used for .70c fuel...or something to drink...

like the rams moved into the Churn 'area" rams dont seem to last once they get big...

steven

4 point
08-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Sad day in Canada when there appears to be one rule for most and none for others. And politcians are to weak to even try and deal with it never mind the courts.

Riverboatfantasy
08-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Sad day in Canada when there appears to be one rule for most and none for others. And politcians are to weak to even try and deal with it never mind the courts.

My young boy comments how it is not fair that indians get to hunt and fish whenever they want. He understands the inequity full well. He has a stronger mind and deeper thoughts than most adults I have encountered.

I have not yet met in my life any indian that takes conservation, sustainability, or RESPECT for wildlife seriously. The conduct, in general, is absolutely disgusting. On the other hand, I have been threatened, intimidated, and endured racial slurs and scorn. Thankfully I have never kicked up the dust and mopped the floor with any of these cowards.

Do not purchase sockeye salmon from these thieves of the land.

rides bike to work
08-21-2012, 12:59 PM
I find it hard to judge the natives as many do here .I grew up aroundany reserves and with many native friends I have found their ways are taught to them. Example I grew up with a boy named William he lived on a reserve his parents both worked and were very nice to me they kept there place nice and gave there son good values. I remained friends with him until one summer when he went fishing with his uncle for the summer . When he got back to school grade nine I think he had totally changed he was taught to hate the white man and instantly attacked me for being white. It was very shocking to me as I had never heard some of the stuff he was saying even though I didn't make much sense . It was obvious he had been brain washed and I haven't talked to him since. As Iit stands right now as far as the government goes we are visitors on their land .

If we didn't follow any rules how would we act
If you were taught you didn't have to work because the goveent would pay your way would you work
If had everything givin to you you wouldn't appreciate it either thats just human nature
The only ones tone mad at is the government they are the ones that have created this mess

Ozone
08-21-2012, 01:14 PM
I wonder how long before roads are blocked becouse the LEHs are cutting into the beer fund.

olharley guy
08-21-2012, 07:30 PM
My young boy comments how it is not fair that indians get to hunt and fish whenever they want. He understands the inequity full well. He has a stronger mind and deeper thoughts than most adults I have encountered.

I have not yet met in my life any indian that takes conservation, sustainability, or RESPECT for wildlife seriously. The conduct, in general, is absolutely disgusting. On the other hand, I have been threatened, intimidated, and endured racial slurs and scorn. Thankfully I have never kicked up the dust and mopped the floor with any of these cowards.

Do not purchase sockeye salmon from these thieves of the land.

What do you mean kick up the dust and mop the floor with them - you're not that big and tough enough to be able to handle 10-12 at once without getting some lumps and bruises! LOL Later

REMINGTON JIM
08-21-2012, 07:42 PM

Your FUNNY ! LMAO ! Your son only knows what hes being taught by you and it sounds ike its very racist ! :shock: RJ

pappy
08-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Another thread turned into a native bashing thread. Gonna read lots of rude or racist comments before any mod steps in and reminds everyone this is a public forum.

Darksith
08-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Another thread turned into a native bashing thread. Gonna read lots of rude or racist comments before any mod steps in and reminds everyone this is a public forum.

turned into or started as...either way a waste of my time...

The Dude
08-22-2012, 01:29 AM
So it's OK to bash folks that break into your truck, OK to rip on shoplifters and purse snatchers, but NOT OK to call a spade a spade, and state the truth?

Quite a few of us know the area quite well. They sell trophy hunts, before the season opens. The Chasm herd of sheep is all "Donut Rams". because anything with potential is shot off ASAP. I was taking pics there of the Chasm Rams, and a local stopped to chew me out, and saw I only had a camera, so we chatted.
He asked me if I'd seen the big one, and I said No, I've heard of him, but haven't seen him yet, would love a pic of him etc...
He said "You're about 3 weeks too late...they came and got him."

We're not making this shit up. Drop certain names around Clinton and people Just roll their eyes. Ask Srupp and others that posted here.

And yes, I'm the guy that started the "Positive Native" Thread. That is a good thread, and lots of great posts on it, thanks again to all that posted good stories.
But I hunt in the areas affected, and the few are killing it for the many, as usual. And the few is Just a tiny minority of the FN comunity, but they work with a white guy(s) who is immune from punishment, because he "Sub-Contracts" to the FNs.
The truth sucks, but Whoop, there it is.

srupp
08-22-2012, 08:00 AM
HMM almost got me fired from my carreer seeing a freshly killed ram the meat rotting and the guy cheeky as all get out telling me for $10,000 he would sell me the head and the hide..

srr

Paulyman
08-22-2012, 08:46 AM
10 dollar sockeye on the Musqueam reserve if anyone wants em.

edgar11
08-22-2012, 09:13 AM
WAH!WAH!BOO!HOO! Another "what about poor me" thread. HaHa.

The Dude
08-22-2012, 10:31 AM
WAH!WAH!BOO!HOO! Another "what about poor me" thread. HaHa.

How did you get THAT out of THIS?

Downwind
08-22-2012, 10:53 AM

Inbreeding.

huntcoop
08-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Or way to much orange Crush and ketchup chips.

edgar11
08-22-2012, 12:15 PM

Because when FN is brought up it always goes to "why do they get special treatent and I don't" instead of what the thread is originally about. Then come the racist/bigot comments on people who judge people by the color of their skin. It amuses me though that these "narrow minded" people still exist. :-P

scoutlt1
08-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Because when FN is brought up it always goes to "why do they get special treatent and I don't" instead of what the thread is originally about. Then come the racist/bigot comments on people who judge people by the color of their skin. It amuses me though that these "narrow minded" people still exist. :-P

"Interesting", albeit an incorrect way of looking at it. I don't read anywhere here about "why do they get special treatment and I don't".
What I do read in alot of the posts (on this and other "related" threads), is "no special treatment for anyone....equal treatment for all..."
That is what I, personally, always look and hope for.
I guy can dream right??

edgar11
08-22-2012, 01:46 PM
"Interesting", albeit an incorrect way of looking at it. I don't read anywhere here about "why do they get special treatment and I don't".
What I do read in alot of the posts (on this and other "related" threads), is "no special treatment for anyone....equal treatment for all..."
That is what I, personally, always look and hope for.
I guy can dream right??
The problem with this idea is that people always want what the other guy has. I won't say all but most FN don't look at the world like that. Thats why when settlers first arrived, FN did not say "this is my land beat it" they simply just allowed them to live on the land as well. Given that there is the "bad eggs" out there, most FN respect the rule of the land and follow the rules that have been laid down before them.
So, in reality it cannot be "Equal" because your forfathers decided to enact some laws which allows FN to continue to hunt and fish.
This thread should be concentrating on the "bad eggs" which make a bad name for the rest of us and not group them with people of the same color of skin. Plain and simple. Just because the majority of mass murderers I see on TV are Caucasian does not mean all Caucasian's behave this way. Sound stupid to you?.....Exactly.

bigslim
08-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Most hunters are passionate about their sport. To sit back and watch what goes on puts a bitter taste in their mouth. Nothing to do with racism, just calling a spade a spade. Although there always seems to be a common denominator in most of these discussions ( FN ). Maybe just me but it's really getting old, as soon as it's a FN that alledgedly has done a bad deed people are painted as racist for trying to discuss the issue.

We all know the truth, admitting it is the first step towards recovery.

steel_ram
08-22-2012, 04:15 PM
The problem with this idea is that people always want what the other guy has. I won't say all but most FN don't look at the world like that. Thats why when settlers first arrived, FN did not say "this is my land beat it" they simply just allowed them to live on the land as well.

Nice theory. If the Coastal tribes saw a canoe from a different tribe arriving in their territory, they surely would not have gone out and greeted it with welcoming arms. I believe other natives that went out to tell the tall white canoe's to "beat it", didn't fare so well.

Points made in this thread are observations of missuse of native "rights", by a few including non-natives.

shed-hunter1
08-22-2012, 05:47 PM
turned into or started as...either way a waste of my time...

for starters i did not start this thread to bash natives infact the guy whos name came up on the weekend is only half native if that. I was simpily asking if sheep were protected in some way so obvisouly not its to bad because we finnaly get a draw and that will proberly be it because of indivduals abusing the system. and as far as me being a racist one of my shed hunting buddys is native and he follows the same rules as the regs even thou he could go do whatever he wants it seems like some guys like pappy or darksmith always look for the negative in a thread it nots always like that

edgar11
08-22-2012, 06:08 PM
for starters i did not start this thread to bash natives infact the guy whos name came up on the weekend is only half native if that. I was simpily asking if sheep were protected in some way so obvisouly not its to bad because we finnaly get a draw and that will proberly be it because of indivduals abusing the system. and as far as me being a racist one of my shed hunting buddys is native and he follows the same rules as the regs even thou he could go do whatever he wants it seems like some guys like pappy or darksmith always look for the negative in a thread it nots always like that
I also follow the rules and so do my friends and family and I am also concerned about what happens to the sheep. I realize that there is a need for FN to hunt for sustenance but I believe there should be some accountability and not abuse when practising these rights. If I wanted to hunt, say a Moose, I should be letting someone know so it can be tracked and this would reduce abuse. No ones telling me I can't do it but then I can't go shooting 50 of them and no one knowing what the true numbers are for sustainability. I am sure that you will find that most FN hunters would agree to this.

The Dude
08-22-2012, 06:19 PM
That's the whole deal, Edgar. As I said in my previous posts, it's a tiny minority of FNs that do this, and sell hunts/horns regardless of whether or not there's a season.
Believe me, if I cold catch this one guy, the vids would be on the desks of the COs, the RCMP and the Bio by dawn the next day.
Until we solve the "bad eggs" problem, then we ALL suck hind tit here. The Churn Ck herd is closed now for this exact same reason.

We all agree on that.

Downwind
08-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Or way to much orange Crush and ketchup chips.

LOL I almost spit my beer all over my keyboard.

Whonnock Boy
08-22-2012, 09:17 PM
I would venture to guess there is some animosity between the band members themselves. Might even make a couple of them go out and shoot some rams just to piss the "Bad Apple" off. Take a bite out of his profits for a couple years. A side benefit would be upsetting the resident hunters too!

cascades
08-26-2012, 09:16 PM
This thread went off the rails.