PDA

View Full Version : Hunter fined for trying to save bear cub.

russm86
08-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong section, but I just saw this in the news. Couldn't find if it had been posted already.

http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee-talk/man_fined_345_after_trying_to_save_a_sick_bear_cub/84c6b2c4

Ozone
08-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Should have just cut his tag and put it on the bbq.

Allen50
08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Should have just cut his tag and put it on the bbq.

not a sick bear cub,,,, whats wrong with this pic,, so many things,, helping a bear cub, how many people try to save deer fawns, by brining them in, and the mother could be close feeding, you dont here them getting fined,,, what can one say,,,,,

rcar
08-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Horseshit fine....we are all hunters but know the difference between hunting for our sport/food and the needs of a baby of any species in need. This makes me angry. Period. The court should have "explained" to the man the ways of his error and let it go. A punk who shoplifts is treated better by the courts system for his "first offence"...or second...or third.... than anyone of us who makes an honest wildlife related error.

coach
08-20-2012, 08:29 PM
I believe that, according to the article, he was charged by the conservation service - not yet convicted by the court. I'd be surprised if he doesn't fight it and even more surprised if the fine is upheld by the court.

olharley guy
08-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Horseshit fine....we are all hunters but know the difference between hunting for our sport/food and the needs of a baby of any species in need. This makes me angry. Period. The court should have "explained" to the man the ways of his error and let it go. A punk who shoplifts is treated better by the courts system for his "first offence"...or second...or third.... than anyone of us who makes an honest wildlife related error.

Howdy, IMHO I think you are totally right even though there are others that may disagree totally. And once again posting these type of things on facebook are totally wrong unless a person is trying to get some sort of praise for his good intentions. Later

Phreddy
08-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Kind of reminds me of a C.O. that used to be in Clearwater about 15 yrs ago. (Will likely tell the whole story at a later date) the guy was just out of training and had a lot of attitude. As I recall the local logger drove him crazy with false info that had him running all over his territory, and he finally quit in frustration a short time after my encouter with him. These badge happy types usually get what they deserve and the ones who use a little common sense and go about their jobs in a sensible manner usually manage to get the respect and help they need in the bush.

Ltbullken
08-20-2012, 10:35 PM
It's a Spirit Bear now...

Singleshotneeded
08-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Sometimes CO's can be such idiots...

.330 Dakota
08-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Crock of shit fine,,,from an asshole CO,,,WHAT MORON WOULD ACTUALLY LAY THAT PAPER

brazen
08-21-2012, 05:23 AM
"should have called the provincial reporting line first"

Would that be the RAPP line or is there another number, just wondering? Personally I think i would rather just call in the coordinates and let the pros handle it. Especially if they could be fined in the event they were found to be unresponsive...

What would CO's and wildlife experts have done with this bear?

fearnodeer
08-21-2012, 05:39 AM
What crock, the effort this guy went through to try to save this cub, and ends up with a fine ?

russm86
08-21-2012, 07:45 AM
The COs and "experts" probably would have done the exact same thing, only difference being their government title. I almost wondered though, after reading the article, that maybe the CO service had written the fine to make a point and to show some kind of enforcement, to the general publics eyes, on the guys "techincally unlawful" actions but in the end will just tear it up under the radar so to speak? Kind of a smoke and mirrors thing? Like as they said in the article they don't want every other idiot going out there and think they are helping some poor animal and really have no idea. Though I do believe the fine really is unwarranted in the end still.

BearStump
08-21-2012, 07:46 AM
yah but just like any other authority in bc, not all the paper pushers have a realistic view of their field. the fine was probably doled out by some 20 yr old chick straight out of college who has spent less than 10 days in the woods in her short life.

Barracuda
08-21-2012, 09:22 AM
personally i think he really should have simply left it and let nature work it out just and simply record and report . i figure that the CO is simply trying to make it clear that thats what the guy should have done.

I dont get why everyone is jumping down the CO's throat on this one

Ltbullken
08-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Well he kind of forced the hands of the CO Service by going public with social networking his violation. You go public, you're at their mercy. If the CO Service does nothing, it's like an invitation to others to thumb their nose at F&W Branch authority. He got what one should expect to get in those circumstances. I bet if he kept it quiet, spoke to a CO about what he did, a conversation or a warning might have cleared it up...

"Judgment is not upon all occasions required, but discretion always is."

Ltbullken
08-21-2012, 09:31 AM
personally i think he really should have simply left it and let nature work it out just and simply record and report . i figure that the CO is simply trying to make it clear that thats what the guy should have done.

I dont get why everyone is jumping down the CO's throat on this one

Deprived coyotes and ravens of really good eats!

Steeleco
08-21-2012, 09:44 AM
I don't think he should have been fined one bit, but at the same time, he should have left well enough alone IMHO. I'm sure we've all seen wild critters that needed a bullet in the ear to end their suffering. I know I have, but didn't do the right thing ethically just in case I go busted doing the wrong thing legally.

Ron.C
08-21-2012, 09:53 AM
The article says he was fined for doing the right thing. I disagree. I think the right thing would have been to leave it and let nature to do what it does.

As far as the fine goes, I think the money collected should go to the facility that will now have to feed and care for this cub. I'm sure that won't be cheap. And I'm sure they will spin it as a cub that was orphaned probably becuase a hunter shot his mother.

Oh ya, did I mention I think he should have just left it.

cens
08-21-2012, 10:05 AM
The article says he was fined for doing the right thing. I disagree. I think the right thing would have been to leave it and let nature to do what it does.

As far as the fine goes, I think the money collected should go to the facility that will now have to feed and care for this cub. I'm sure that won't be cheap. And I'm sure they will spin it as a cub that was orphaned probably becuase a hunter shot his mother.

Oh ya, did I mention I think he should have just left it.

The bear cub died.

Ron.C
08-21-2012, 11:23 AM
The bear cub died.

my bad......:oops:

Downwind
08-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Well he kind of forced the hands of the CO Service by going public with social networking his violation. You go public, you're at their mercy. If the CO Service does nothing, it's like an invitation to others to thumb their nose at F&W Branch authority. He got what one should expect to get in those circumstances. I bet if he kept it quiet, spoke to a CO about what he did, a conversation or a warning might have cleared it up...

"Judgment is not upon all occasions required, but discretion always is."

Very well said. What he did was illegal, period. Whether his intentions were good or not is irrelevant. He did what was the 'right' thing but it is against the law. If he hadn't been fined and someone saw his Facebook page seeing him save this bear and then was out and found a 'lost' bear that needed being saved and picked it up, only to get mauled to death my mama, then what?
What was the right thing to do ethically but it was still against the law, hence the fine. Hopefully (and most likely) this will be waived but hopefully not publicly so that people that don't know better, won't try to be animal rescuers of animals that don't need it.

thecoug
08-21-2012, 02:09 PM
The most interesting part of this whole thread is the unusual approach that many take to this classic "ethical dilemma"
If you took CORE, your instructor covered just this point... seems like the right thing to do... NOT!! Can't do it.. Sorry about how you "feel". It is against the law... and the law is to protect fools from themselves... and very appropriately..
Can't harvest a rack off a road kill... Can't "rescue" wildlife... and cut the CO's some slack....

swamper
08-21-2012, 02:28 PM
We all know it's illegal to be in possession of a live wild animal without the proper permits. I feel bad for the man who was trying to do what he thought was the moral thing to do, but bottom line, he broke the law. Did he deserve the fine, yes. Could the CO have dealt with it a bit diefferently, probably.

Foxton Gundogs
08-21-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't think he should have been fined one bit, but at the same time, he should have left well enough alone IMHO. I'm sure we've all seen wild critters that needed a bullet in the ear to end their suffering. I know I have, but didn't do the right thing ethically just in case I go busted doing the wrong thing legally.

Ditto ............

chargerman69
08-28-2012, 03:26 PM
im Glad to hear all of your opinions the good and the bad... it was I that was fined and unfortunatley with the news they dont give out the entire story due to air time limitations. As for the "showboating" on the internet it wasnt that at all. I live and work away from my family, i am not computer literate and this was my way of sharing these photos with my family. my intensions were good and like i said before i would do it again. as for the "right thing" to do is to leave it, well that is not how i am if i can save that animal i will try. and unfortuanley that cub was starved for so long he died the next morning in the rehab center...

burger
08-28-2012, 03:39 PM
im Glad to hear all of your opinions the good and the bad... it was I that was fined and unfortunatley with the news they dont give out the entire story due to air time limitations. As for the "showboating" on the internet it wasnt that at all. I live and work away from my family, i am not computer literate and this was my way of sharing these photos with my family. my intensions were good and like i said before i would do it again. as for the "right thing" to do is to leave it, well that is not how i am if i can save that animal i will try. and unfortuanley that cub was starved for so long he died the next morning in the rehab center...

I think I would have done the same. The only thing in some eyes you did wrong was the timeline by not getting the OK first.

chargerman69
08-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I made the calls to the co and no answer at the terrace office. so to get the bear out of my possesion i immediatly called the rehab center and took it there ( 2 hour drive) i did try to make the contacts and never even got my messages returned until they decided to give me the fine 2 months later.

wildman 22
08-28-2012, 05:30 PM
seems they made a mistake , seems wrong to me

anglo-saxon
08-28-2012, 06:41 PM
I get that they (the COs) want to discourage people from randomly removing wildlife from the bush, even with good intentions, but I believe each case should be judged by its individual merits alone, rather than tarring everybody with the same brush. There are significant extenuating circumstances here that would warrant a softer approach. The fine was very heavy-handed and uncalled for.

abbyfireguy
08-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Lots of people do exactly the same thing and are never fined. BC's conservation service needs to educate their officers better at using commonsense .
Very very poor actions in my opinion...

coach
08-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Chargerman69 - did you fight the charges in court?

caves16
08-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Read the next article about the 3 year old in the States that shot and killed his own father with a loaded handgun the dad left out...

chargerman69
08-29-2012, 07:43 AM
I had NEVER been fined before and the co told me that I had 30 days to pay it or dispute it or they will take my hunting license, pal and firearms for up to two years. and I was leaving that monday for a 3 week hunt. so 3 weeks out of thirty days is a big chunk of time (not knowing) and so i did pay it that day. ive been told since that i could have told them ill dispute it and deal with it when i got back... so i wish i had of known that.

yamadirt 426
08-29-2012, 08:17 AM
The co in this case is a total douche. I think you did a good thing. Maybe not right but good. Hope the co gets it from a Black bear one day. I'm in a bad mood as it is this morn and things like this piss me off and stick I'm my mind more than anything "good" a co does.

Islandbowhunter
08-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Ethics trump laws. Ridiculous fine, CO needs to remove head from colon and take a good look around.

The law makes sense...until it's impossible to follow. Three phone calls to appropriate parties, a two-hour drive to rescue centre...yah, this guy simply wanted a picture with a baby bear to brag about on FB. BS.

I agree the actions may have been slightly out of line, bear should have been left alone. Too bad this guy felt such compassion it got him in trouble :(

Steve W
08-29-2012, 11:26 AM
We have part the story. Anyone called the Terrace CO to see what other information there might be that influenced the decision to lay a charge?

When you get a ticket you have 30 days to pay or dispute the allegations. If you dispute it the no action can be taken against your licenses until the dispute has been resolved. If you don't pay or dispute your ticket in 30 days your licenses issued under the Wildlife Act are automatically suspended until you pay the ticket.

daywalker
08-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Well said two sides to everystory. The COS also has a job to do. People know better he could of got alot more fines then just the one. But also on the other hand nothing wrong with trying to help there had to be other details