PDA

View Full Version : Scouting help

shadow1982
08-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi guys,
I was thinking about going up to Merrit and do some scouting, since I am brand new at scouting I was wondering if someone is willing to show me what to look for, We could go for a day trip close by or whatever.I currently live in surrey.
Thanks in advance

sarg
08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm new to scouting to, but what I look for is,good game trails and any kind of sign from any critter in the are, good looking Feed plot and water holes, and really just to get to know the area ur hunting in:) but like I've side I'm totally new to scouting to,
good luck

bassplayer
08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
When i find an area i want to try in the fall i spend most weekends just going for a drive in there usually in the evening when the animals are starting to move. I keep a mental note of where in that area during those weekends that i'm seeing the most game. Then i start walking along the trails in the areas that i've been seeing the game. If i'm seeing them on a regular basis in these certain areas then there must be a reason for it and i'll focus my scouting there with the aid of trail cams and just walking in general.

doubled
08-20-2012, 12:35 PM
One thing to scout now but may be another to find them in that same area later on. Animals move around depending on rut, weather, pressure, etc. Some you can count on like clock work while others are a guessing game.

buck nash
08-20-2012, 04:29 PM
One thing to scout now but may be another to find them in that same area later on. Animals move around depending on rut, weather, pressure, etc. Some you can count on like clock work while others are a guessing game.

It's like they've got hunting season marked on their calender or something. I thought I'd go pop one of the many deer I saw near my favourite summer camping spot last year. We saw at least a few everytime we were up in august. I went there on the first weekend of the season and didn't see a single one.

Brian011
08-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Find some cut blocks or any feeding areas with a water source near by and go there at daylight and at dark and do lots of glassing. If you find any nice bucks, they wont go to far till the start I the season then they will just start to become more nocturnal.