PDA

View Full Version : Elk mount baldy and surrounding areas

Muliechaser
08-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Hey guys

New to this forum have been watching since 2010 and found some quite usefull info on here.
Decided to recently join and find out some info if you guys would like to be generous and help a guy out:-P been hunting elk .. Well trying to atleast for the last two years.
Allways find them after season has ended last year was 2 days after closeing and seen a big 6x6 bull just stood there without a care in the world. Just my luck! Haha.
Ive been doing research and trying to figure out how to find em before its to late!
First year with a bugle and would like to call one in , and fill the freezer for the entire year this
Season . I always get a nice meat mulie no problem always a 2x2 .. Im working. On it!! Haha
I got 2 boys ,me and the lady friend to feed. Hoping to get some hints as to wear i could snag one on opener this year around the baldy area or anywere else close! I have booked the 9th to
The 17th of this year in hope of making it worth my while! Also having troubles with whitetail!! Just need a meat buck aswell. Looking to take one opening week aswell as i dont get much
Time out after opening week every year. I would be just as happy with a wt and a mulie more meat the beter!! Thanks in advance to any of you for any info provided in feedin us!!will be very much appreciated. Hopin to get a nicewarm welcome from you guys!

Mulie chaser-

hunter1993ap
08-19-2012, 04:22 PM
you might not get a lot of help being your first post. you also might want to add a joke, some say its an hbc rule:grin:. if i were you i would probably head to where you saw the bull last year.

Chopper333
08-19-2012, 05:52 PM
I understand where you are coming from...went for a Rosey last year with the brother in law. Now I am hooked. I have been researching a lot this summer. I found a few people to help but they were VERY reluctant and asked that their info is kept a secret. I did a lot of research looking at maps and various reports on habitat and such. Looked a YouTube...surprising what some dumb rednecks are willing to put up online regarding locations. I also read a few books this summer. I learned from those too. I would suggest researching and getting out of the truck and go higher up. If I manage to get a big bull from my truck...I am going to get a lotto ticket on the way home.

Look luck

Muliechaser
08-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Ive spent alot of time on foot enough to be blistered for a week and a half! Haha.
I have found lots of sign rubs beds but am always right behind the heard. Tracked a small herd of 1 bull and 4 cows is that an odd size heard? There was alway 5 beds .over all from thefirst time i found the bull it was late augest and had just killed these two litte pines next to his wallow . Never seen him with my bare eyes. Just tracks rubs and signup untill 2 days after season closed i finally laid eyes on him. Over 7 k from were i first found his sign. He and his girls were constantly on the move i was a few days behind him
Tho i guess!:-P i have heard that thry dont pattern the same every year going to take
My first look tomorrow. !!!! Between work and my boys its hard to find the time!!

Wrayzer
08-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Ive spent alot of time on foot enough to be blistered for a week and a half! Haha.
I have found lots of sign rubs beds but am always right behind the heard. Tracked a small herd of 1 bull and 4 cows is that an odd size heard? There was alway 5 beds .over all from thefirst time i found the bull it was late augest and had just killed these two litte pines next to his wallow . Never seen him with my bare eyes. Just tracks rubs and signup untill 2 days after season closed i finally laid eyes on him. Over 7 k from were i first found his sign. He and his girls were constantly on the move i was a few days behind him
Tho i guess!:-P i have heard that thry dont pattern the same every year going to take
My first look tomorrow. !!!! Between work and my boys its hard to find the time!!

I'd say they more than likely will pattern the same, as long as nothing spooked them bad out of that wallow last year there is a good chance he will be back at it this year.
Sounds like you are on it, not sure how much more help you can ask for on here other than tactical tips.

Muliechaser
09-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Still no sign, well fresg sign, to many guys in that spot now .
Pushing me further away from the roads. And i have a feeling these other people have pushed them out or somthing. Oh well i stay away from there now.

Have found another spot. Fresh sign but seems to be no bulls kickin around. (yet) lol.
I just cant seem to put my finger on them. And being sent to sask for work in 2 weeks gives me
Very very little time to connect . You never know though!

Fingers crossed lol

Mc

I'd say they more than likely will pattern the same, as long as nothing spooked them bad out of that wallow last year there is a good chance he will be back at it this year.
Sounds like you are on it, not sure how much more help you can ask for on here other than tactical tips.

ruger#1
09-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Good luck chaser. My father lives in your town, And we go up the Mount Mckinny rd to Baldy. And always see the elk and moose either before hunting starts or after elk closes. They are there, Try bugleing them. I whish you luck.

JDR
09-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Best advise is to be persistent and not give up. Each time you go out you will learn something even if it's not to hunt a certain area again. Elk will move, especially when pressured. Staying away from the other hunters and the roads is where you want to be. Look for fresh sign and focus on those areas. Not sure if you're calling much, but I like to start with a bugle to locate a bull. Nothing complicated or aggressive, just enough to hopefully get a response. I find with bulls around here if you're too aggressive with the bugles they will push their cows further away from your position. When I do get a response I switch to just cow calls to try and lure him in. If he's holding up then I try to move in on his position.

Muliechaser
09-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Leaving at 4 am tomorrow morning . Bugle and 2 different cow calls in hand , im ready :cool:
Im still learning!

Mc

Hunter Dog
09-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Its a good thing you have quit lurken on the site! We All have families to feed. Nothing comes for free: we've all had to work for it and some of us didn't have a mentor. Go out and learn from your mistakes. You"ll be a better hunter for it and make some friends along the way.

brian
09-28-2012, 11:07 PM
I remember seeing some a nice bull elk up around Baldy, during the season no less... but no tags. Run across a few moose as well, but no spike forks. You'll find good whitetails down on the south end where the forest meets the farmers fields. Lots of land to explore down there.

meathead
09-29-2012, 08:57 AM
put a camera on the wallow and find out his patterns

steepNdeep
09-29-2012, 09:41 AM
If you found where they are livin' during the season, put in some time & learn the area. Follow their tracks/trails around until you find where they feed & bed. Rubs & wallows will tell you where the bulls are & like meathead says a trailcam shows you the pattern. Good luck.

bogman
09-29-2012, 12:55 PM
MC,
I live up the Mckinney and while I am not a elk hunter as such I shoot a meat whitey and muley every year. In the 8 years I have lived here I have only run across the Elk one time during hunting season. I have how ever had them right in my back acreage before and after the season. Keep us posted on your success and I hope you find one before work takes over. If you need a hand getting him out of the bush let me know I have lots of gear and stuff.

GoatGuy
09-29-2012, 02:15 PM
The trick with elk is finding them.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
09-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Last year, my Uncle and I tried to hunt for a bull Elk in the Mount Baldy area. Lots of hunters had the same idea. No luck for us.

Keep on trying.

Muliechaser
10-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks bogman
Delete some of your pms will ya! Lol. Im heading up again tonight . Tcase went in my truck so im in my car. So i def
Would need a hand! Got no way to get ahold of ya.

Mc

MC,
I live up the Mckinney and while I am not a elk hunter as such I shoot a meat whitey and muley every year. In the 8 years I have lived here I have only run across the Elk one time during hunting season. I have how ever had them right in my back acreage before and after the season. Keep us posted on your success and I hope you find one before work takes over. If you need a hand getting him out of the bush let me know I have lots of gear and stuff.

bogman
10-03-2012, 02:18 PM
MC, clear my PM's and sent you one.

Taurusguy
10-03-2012, 03:28 PM
. If I manage to get a big bull from my truck...I am going to get a lotto ticket on the way home.

Look luck
HA! in 2004 my old man won an LEH for a rosie on the island. We spent 5 days looking while camped out next to a clearing ... had one jump out on the main logging road in front of us while we was on the quad around day 3. On the last day of the hunt I was gassing up the quad (my dad didnt want to get out of bed as he was very discouraged from our progress) I climbed up to look into the clearing right next to camp (the road was lower in elevation than the clearing was) and BEHOLD.. the herd was moving across the clearing right next to camp. Well .. that got my old man out of bed REAL fast. I bolted back to tell him and he grabbed his gun and came storming out of the camper. in the distance you could hear the Big Bull bugling .. and the herd was moving in the direction of the call. We saw a glimpse of that royal as it disappeared into the bush.

A few minutes later, as we watched the herd of Cows walk single file into the bush the direction of the calling of the big bull .. we spotted horns. BOOM BOOM BOOM my dad unloads at it. (this was when i was camera man and not an actual hunter) I got quite a few good shots and a short vid of the Elk when we got up to it to "end it" as it was still alive when we got to it. But man ... it was no farther than 100 yards from camp on the last day. Made it realy easy for us to get the quad in there .. half it .. and drag it out. MY old man had installed 2 fold out racks on the quad for just this purpose. WOrked great! ... just had to cut a few logs out of the way and have someone walk with the quad to balance the 1/2 elk on the back.

I could post some pics later if ya like... it was not the royal .. but it was sure good eatin.

That was the one and only LEH elk draw my dad OR i have ever been a part of.

bucka
10-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Been hunting the Mt. Baldy area for 20 years (for whitetail and Muley) and have only seen one elk in that time. Seems they are more to the Rock creek and up Christian side.

Muliechaser
10-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Ya just some old sign maybe à few passing thru every now and then. Nothing to get excited about
Chute lake? Rock Creek is hot with elk just alittle out the way for day trips. Probably worth it tho?

Been hunting the Mt. Baldy area for 20 years (for whitetail and Muley) and have only seen one elk in that time. Seems they are more to the Rock creek and up Christian side.

The Silent Stalker
10-03-2012, 11:13 PM
If we all stay off the roads and go into the bush, we'll soon be bumping into each other in the bush and the roads will be empty. Please just stay on the roads, you'll be way more comfortable.

bogman
10-05-2012, 01:37 PM
MC, One less Elk for you to look for in the back of a native truck at the Petrocan yesterday. Didn't have time to stop and look but it looked decent . There are more there though. Good luck. I'll be hunting fairly steady after the long weekend for a deer.

ruger#1
10-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Ya just some old sign maybe à few passing thru every now and then. Nothing to get excited about
Chute lake? Rock Creek is hot with elk just alittle out the way for day trips. Probably worth it tho? Seen a couple up the bridesvile road on the May long weekend.