PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for pad cream

Mishka
08-19-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm having issues with my dogs pads. We were out recently on some rough trails and I noticed the other day that the large pads on his front paws were peeling big thick chunks of skins. He also has a tendency to get cuts on his feet in the winter. I've tried a few different styles of boots but they rarely stay on or they twist around. I want to try a protective cream or something along those lines. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also where's a good place to purchase it? My pup is a 4yr old husky/rottie cross, 100lbs, his feet are more rottie than husky. Thanks

Shooter
08-19-2012, 01:59 PM
My father-in-law told me before that he used to make a paste out of Alum and would apply that to the dogs paws in after the winter when the paws were not used to being run on hard ground as much and it would really harden the pads up quickly. All I know is what he told me and have never needed to do it maybe someone else has done it and can have some first hand knowledge of it.

digger dogger
08-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Protecta pad works for my dogs, I bought mine from the big wholesale hunting store..
You can get it online, if ya can't find it in Kelowna

Foxton Gundogs
08-19-2012, 03:36 PM
My father-in-law told me before that he used to make a paste out of Alum and would apply that to the dogs paws in after the winter when the paws were not used to being run on hard ground as much and it would really harden the pads up quickly. All I know is what he told me and have never needed to do it maybe someone else has done it and can have some first hand knowledge of it.

Yep Alum in vasaline works wonders for toughenin pads up I have been doing it for yoears with all mu gundogs and never had a sore pad issue.

Spokerider
08-19-2012, 03:42 PM
where do you get alum from? What is it?

Shooter
08-19-2012, 03:44 PM
You can get it in most grocery store spice isles I believe.

Mishka
08-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Alum and vaseline... I'm willing to give it a shot. Just so I'm clear, my pup's pads aren't soft. In fact they seem too dry and crack easily. Will this stuff help that?

ytlogger
08-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Yep Alum in vasaline works wonders for toughenin pads up I have been doing it for yoears with all mu gundogs and never had a sore pad issue.

What is the recipe? I mean proportions.

35rem
08-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Sounds like you ran your dog too much and now he has blisters on his feet. You need to trim all the loose skin off and limit his exercise until the pads grow back. You can try the cream recommended here, but it is more important to use common sense to prevent this from happening again. We get blisters too if we run too far on our bare feet. Especially on asphalt, gravel or rock pads wear fast and the current heat does not help either. The best way to toughen up those pads is a regular exercise program (not just the weekends) where you SLOWLY increase the distances you run him. This will alow him to build up the stamina, muscles and pads needed. And, remember that in a truck or on a quad you can cover a lot of distance quickly..

Foxton Gundogs
08-19-2012, 09:24 PM
alum and just enough vasaline to make a paste

Foxton Gundogs
08-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Sounds like you ran your dog too much and now he has blisters on his feet. You need to trim all the loose skin off and limit his exercise until the pads grow back. You can try the cream recommended here, but it is more important to use common sense to prevent this from happening again. We get blisters too if we run too far on our bare feet. Especially on asphalt, gravel or rock pads wear fast and the current heat does not help either. The best way to toughen up those pads is a regular exercise program (not just the weekends) where you SLOWLY increase the distances you run him. This will alow him to build up the stamina, muscles and pads needed. And, remember that in a truck or on a quad you can cover a lot of distance quickly..

And run over a dog just as quick A bike works better but if you do use a vehicle use a roading pole

chilcotin hillbilly
08-20-2012, 07:16 AM
More exercise!

brazen
08-20-2012, 07:36 AM
I want to try a protective cream or something along those lines. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Mishka, I have a little can of Musher's Secret i got when i looked into this before. I don't see us ever really getting much use of it. PM me if you want and I will pass it to you. Looks like vaseline, smells like noxema. I have more fun knitting wool socks for my little furry dude ;)

FirePower
08-20-2012, 09:17 AM
All the old British trainers use an alum paste to help hardenen up pads especially during and at the end of winter when the dogs have been worked on softer ground. It works very well. The roading pole or as I have come to know it breezing bar is an essential piece of equipment when excersising dogs with a vehicle. It almost totally eliminates the potential for accidents

Mishka
08-20-2012, 10:37 AM
He's been on some down time because of the summer heat we've had, so that definitely contributed to the issues. - It was obvious on our trip it was too much too soon, but then it was too late. I slipped in judgement this time, but I do use my common sense in dealing with my pups. The rest of the year we are out on a regular basis and most of his issues are getting cuts while out in the snow. My malamute cross doesn't seem to have these problems. I appreciate the recommendations on the different creams and I'm going to look into trying the alum paste. Thanks