PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunting in the Heat

upcomer
08-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Judging by the late heat we've had this summer, I'm assuming it will carry on into September. For myself, finding deer in the heat has always been a challenge. I can see them at first light before the sun is up and hot, but after 9am I can't see a deer to save my life.

So what are everyone tips for an early season, hot hunt? Do specific temperatures dictate how you will hunt that day? How deep into the bush do you need to go to find the bedding areas where the deer will most likely be?

What is your routine for a hot September hunt?

Ron.C
08-19-2012, 07:54 AM
I've had pretty good success during early archery season for whitetails, mostly in the morning. Mind you, I used to hunt the same area for several years and we had learned the deer morning pattern in a couple spots, and this was the key. We had two specific stand locations based on this pattern that was as much of a sure thing as anything you could find in hunting. Then it was just getting a treestand very early in the morning and wait em out.

kako99
08-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Some times there not to far in from the tree lines. I also find where the second growth meets the old growth they will bed down.

knockturnal
08-19-2012, 09:32 AM
key in on water holes, North facing slopes, deep timber and food.

markt308
08-19-2012, 09:39 AM
they sure seem to be on the move right at first light where i hunt. i would obviously keep trying that. also glass shady hillsides, not tree covered hillsides necesarrily. ive jumped a few bucks that were just chilling in the shade mid afternoon

Big Lew
08-19-2012, 02:19 PM
I've found bucks in the middle of the day bedded down in small thickets left standing right in the middle of large hilly or mountainside newer logging slashes, especially if there's a pool of water inside. I've also found bucks bedded down in the shade at the edge of, or just inside prominent elevated timber points along the side of recent logging slashes. These points normally have a good breeze so are cooler and have fewer bugs than even inside the timber. If there is water in the area, always check out the side of ravines well inside and near the top of logged off ridges or hilltops if they have heavy thickets offering shade and a breeze.

Shooter
08-19-2012, 02:31 PM
A few years ago I was hunting early season and it was the same issue. The only action was at first light. I ran into some tree planters and made a comment that I wonder where all the deer go..... He told me that in the middle of the day they were jumping deer up left right and center right in the middle of the slashes. Almost every little depression and hole held deer that were bedded down... Changed the way I thought about early season hunting. They will stay in the open at times but they almost always bed down lower than the surrounding ground.

finngun
08-19-2012, 04:57 PM
jello knows where all deer herds are around kammy area..ask him..:mrgreen:

Jelvis
08-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Just like you when it's hot, go to the water, and in the shade, by a salad bar.
Deer will wade in the water of a pond or back water when it's hot. Try hunting early morning before the sun is all the way up. Then hit some north face with shade and water and go slow. Then try road hunting towards evening. Cut off shooting when closer to darkness because too much work to do after the darkness settles in.
Jel .. Go out early morning be there in deer country when the first light creeps up, look hard ..

BCptown
08-20-2012, 01:16 PM
dress appropriately :)

upcomer
08-20-2012, 02:58 PM
dress appropriately :)

I was wondering how long it would take for a moron to add a useless comment. You take the cake "p town"

Good2bCanadian
08-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Dont forget sun screen.

BCptown
08-24-2012, 07:11 PM
lol .. it gets cool now .. you may tell me you realize this when you return home

Moose_Tracks
08-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Hunt hard at the key times, go fishing or just relav mid day.