PDA

View Full Version : Leaving on a pack trip in two hours.

jtred
08-18-2012, 06:30 AM
In just over two hours my hunting partner will be here and off we go heading north for what should be a two or two and a half week trip into the Wilmore wilderness in northwestern Alberta. My friends' father has been going in there for 28 years now, we were along on the very first pack trip when we both 13 and 14 years old and I've finally had a chance to take him up on the offer of a return trip. Essentially it's a sheep hunting trip but since both my friend and I now live in B.C. we are just heading in there for the experience. So it's just an extremely adventurous camping trip for us but I am so excited, really didn't sleep much I kept packing and unpacking my backpack in my head all night. From the staging area near Grande Cache we will be riding three days to get to where he sets up base camp, from there we'll be doing 2-3 day spike camps up into the alpine. I guess I get to be a packer and a wrangler, what an adventure. Then it's back home to the Kootenays and the quest for my mountain goat and alpine mule deer, if all goes as planned I hope to leave town every Friday am and hike into the alpine for 2night 3 day trips until I fill the tags, the weather shuts me down, or the season ends. This is shaping up to be my most exciting hunting season ever and it hasn't even begun, I almost don't care if I get anything at all(almost, but of course my plan is to fill my whitetail, mule deer, and goat tags, with a little luck, persistence, and a lot of hiking I just may fill one or two tags!). Best of luck to everyone heading out on their hunting adventures and I'll let you know how it goes when I get home in a couple of weeks.

Mik
08-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Sounds like a fun trip, my 2 brothers are going up there on the 25 of this month, i unfortunately gotta work :( good luck, stay safe.

nature girl
08-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Have fun on your trip.
I'll look forward to the story when you return.

Foxton Gundogs
08-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Sounds like a fun trip should have some great pix to post on your return. We are headed out with the horses to Invemier in Sept for 7 days.