PDA

View Full Version : Zone X of 4-03 Help!

skinarama
08-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Not looking for your honey holes, but I am curious if there is any land that isn't private in this region? My dad recently became a senior, and I am throwing the idea of taking him on an elk hunt out there. He is able to take a cow, and if we go durring the right time, I can take a spike bull. By the looks of all the maps I have been viewing, there are a ton of farms/ranches and I'll bet thats where those rascally elk will be hiding! Going to drag a travel trailer to the first FSR near Cranbrook, and start the hunting. Jaffray? Kimberley? Canal Flats? Man, I can already see the gas bill! :razz:

magicarrowman
08-17-2012, 07:33 PM
You can try around Moyie Lake. There is a provincial campground you can stay at and lots of area surrounding where you can see a bunch of cows. PM me and I can give a bit more info.

Everett
08-17-2012, 08:01 PM
The senior/junior season gets hit pretty hard but if your old man can walk head north of kimberley and stay off the roads lots of crown land and a lots of elk but the chance of nailing one from the truck is slim. If you pm me early sept I will try and point you in a few spots I am on the road till then so have no access to my maps and notes. Currently stuck in Richmond for the weekend how the hell any human can live in the whole they call the LML is beyond me.

kootenayhunter270
08-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Last year was the s##ts for elk in the trench not alot of success but if u do come good luck and stay off the beaten path because there will be no elk on it.

hunter1947
08-18-2012, 03:17 AM
The senior/junior season gets hit pretty hard but if your old man can walk head north of kimberley and stay off the roads lots of crown land and a lots of elk but the chance of nailing one from the truck is slim. If you pm me early sept I will try and point you in a few spots I am on the road till then so have no access to my maps and notes. Currently stuck in Richmond for the weekend how the hell any human can live in the whole they call the LML is beyond me.

Good on you Everett giving this gentleman some area to start ,,,,,LOL I feel for you and yes you are so right how can anyone live in a hell hole meaning a big city they can have it I am happy right here in the EK....

The Dude
08-18-2012, 03:30 AM
Keep in mind WHY there's a Zone X.
It's because Elk hit the farms and hay fields, and won't leave, so the BC Cattleman's Association asked for more Elk to be shot off the bottomlands.
This means that some ranchers would be happy to see your Dad take a Cow off their alfalfa fields.
Contact the Ranchers Association, and ask which ranchers/farmers are in the 'Program' to allow hunting.
Easy Peazy, lemon squeezie.

bforce750
08-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Go in behind skookumchuck Pulp Mill , piles of elk there, b there at the crack of dawn or just before dark ...u should run into somthing.

skinarama
08-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Wow! Thanks for the tips guys! I just emailed the ranchers association, and am really excited! I figured I would get replies like "Do yer own scouting", or "These elk are fer locals only", but you guys rock! Thanks again!

300H&H
08-22-2012, 06:54 AM
That "seniors" hunt was a gong show last year !!
The elk were out of the fields before dawn and came back after dark.
Ranchers were not to receptive to allowing Dad & I on their land.
COs were not helpful.
With that said any time with my Dad is great !

J_T
08-22-2012, 08:37 AM
You can try around Moyie Lake. There is a provincial campground you can stay at and lots of area surrounding where you can see a bunch of cows. PM me and I can give a bit more info.
I'd be cautious about using Moyie campground as a base camp. Zone X (4-03) ends just slightly north of Moyie Lake campground and most of the accessible crown land within zone x in this area is very close to the highway. There is just a higher risk of a mistake in this area and following a road and getting outside the zone, unless you know the area. but the campground is great, and with great facilities.

Seeadler
08-22-2012, 10:08 AM
The RDEK website has maps on it of private/Crown Land. If it is hot, it is likely the elk will be up high, out of Zone X. They've clued in to what is going on.

magicarrowman
08-22-2012, 05:47 PM
J T.... I know you can get "out of the area" easily if you don't know the area. I've hunted around there for the past few years, and I've bumped into alot of cows and spikers on crown land. I put him onto some good areas in the zone where he should have no problems.

IslandHunterBXL
08-22-2012, 06:50 PM
id reccomend an orange hat. last time i hunted there, there was another hunter around every corner. scared the hell out of me. good luck

The Dude
08-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Esp if hunt the "Shit fields". Wear a flashing red light on your hard hat. :D

skinarama
08-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks again guys! I have just fluked out and recieved permission from a private ranch near Cranbrook!! Hopefully the darn elk stay low enough to persuade into my truck! Thanks magicarrowman for the tips!!