PDA

View Full Version : Agree or disagree (elk season)

Rut Buck
08-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Just wondering peoples thoughts on the new elk hunting season in region 8 and the west koots being all open on the 10th of september?

358mag
08-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Agree
You pick your spot and hunt it

elkeater
08-17-2012, 07:44 PM
i love it. I think that it will spread out the pressure. maybe ill only trip over a few people

Everett
08-17-2012, 08:04 PM
About freaking time real nice for those guys that live in those region having the chance to hunt close to home.

fearnodeer
08-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Seen lots do not no how many but Hell Ya

hunter1947
08-18-2012, 03:32 AM
My opinion is if management thoughts are that the regions that they have decided to open up longer for elk they the management have a good handle on if the regions can withhold a GOS for this amount of time ,I have to lean towards what there decisions are..

Stone Sheep Steve
08-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Since the season is 6pt or better the elk will be fine. Spreading out the pressure is good....for the hunters.

SSS

The Dude
08-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Don't quite get why you're asking......

PointMan
08-18-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm thinking he's heard some negative responses to the season. The responses I've heard we're of the opinion that the season is premature, the heard hasn't grown large enough to support a GOS hunt yet, with references to the Kootenay elk population. Not saying I agree (or disagree)with the opinion, but my guess is he has heard thi opinion as well and I wondering who here felt the same way.

deer nut
08-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Elk seem to be increasing there and should be able to support an extended season. Should be more cow tags issued in low elevation areas too IMO. Provided they continue to monitor harvest rates, should be fine. Elk are not declining in the Koots from what I've heard!

Camp Cook
08-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the heads up I hadn't even checked elk in region 8 I'll be checking on it now...

Wasn't even going to buy an elk tag this year think I will now.

:)

BlacktailStalker
08-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Fortunately, because a season opens the people hunting it do not automatically become good hunters.
I'm sure some doozeys will fall the first year and then they (the elk) will wise up and people will have to work for their animals like most places, won't do as well as they hoped and spend all winter on here bitching how there is no game left because they never saw any and all there was is wolves :lol:
BC is a hunting province of opportunity and is slowly becoming better. A bit of change to the LEH system and we would really be living in a great place.

I have always wondered if the Island elk could support this (6 pt or heck even 7pt) and have a 24hr reporting period and/or a quota for manageable areas. I think they say there are 3500-4500 elk on the Island ? Surely that is more than some of the areas opened out there. Much of it inaccessible and much more rugged... No the guides would not support it but if they have to go harder and further to find trophy quality game for their clients, it is not different than anywhere else, so too bad ?

Vader
08-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Agree with the spreading out of hunters.. Not so sure the elk numbers indicate a sustainable GOS in the west Kootenays. Helicopter survey folks I talked to were suprised in the numbers found on the winter range. Didn't count as many as was projected to be in those known areas. Only one count but might be indicative of the underestimation of numbers as has been done in the past. The elk may also be more widely dispersed due to the October season. Weak early winter also a factor. Lots of variables and more monitoring would help solidify the actual population. A mandatory reporting would also have been helpful.

palmer
08-18-2012, 12:21 PM
100% agree....and would work for Moose too....more open seasons and spread out pressure....

d6dan
08-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Since the season is 6pt or better the elk will be fine. Spreading out the pressure is good....for the hunters.

SSS

X2
Spread out the pressure and you don't have to worry about regional boundaries.

coach
08-18-2012, 12:56 PM
X3. Fully agree with SSS and d6dan. Guys have been wanting this for a few years now. No conservation concern with 6 point season. Let's all get out there and enjoy some good hunting.

Rut Buck
08-18-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm thinking he's heard some negative responses to the season. The responses I've heard we're of the opinion that the season is premature, the heard hasn't grown large enough to support a GOS hunt yet, with references to the Kootenay elk population. Not saying I agree (or disagree)with the opinion, but my guess is he has heard thi opinion as well and I wondering who here felt the same way.

That is it. At least it will take pressure off the east koots where I normally go but not this year we usally call in 10 5 points before we get a six.

hunter1993ap
08-18-2012, 04:22 PM
i agree as well

Stone Sheep Steve
08-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Also makes enforcement easier for the boys in Blue.

SSS

Jagermeister
08-18-2012, 09:50 PM

SSSAnd the elk too!

J_T
08-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Sept 10th? Must be different regs that I'm reading. Sept 1 for bow that's the one to pay attention to. Tough country to hunt. Great to see Government making decisions. As for sustainability, just because its 6pt doesn't make it sustainable. We still have to pay attention to population dynamics and herd ratios.

08-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Maybe a bit better chance for us dummies to get one from Rut activity and hopefully STUPIDITY ! SUICIDE !

BANG FLOP !

CT

hunterdon
08-20-2012, 11:32 PM
I remember several years ago when they opened up a GOS in region 8 for moose. Although 2 point, but still prior to that it was strictly leh. Some thought back then it would be bad for the moose population in region 8 as moose was not exactly plentiful. But, I would have to say that it was the right decision as the moose have only increased in numbers in region 8 since then despite the GOS.

I welcome any increase in hunter opportunity and early season opening makes for quality hunting during the rut. Time will tell.