PDA

View Full Version : hunting deer in MU 8-14

Karlolof
08-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Hi ya'll,
So i am going hunting at the end of October. I got my anterless draw for MU 8-14. Just north east of Rock Creek. I have been up there a couple years ago but i am looking for some advice on where to set up a camp. I see alot of rec sites in the area but if anyone has any suggstions of good places to stay that would be great. We would prefer (as most would) to be close to a lake or stream.
Some of the sites that i have been seeing are Thone lake rec site, Wallace creek rec site, Taurus Lake rec site, Winfall creek rec site. obvioulsy there are plenty more.
Thanks for any help that you can. Any hunting advice for that area would also be greatly appreciated.
Karl

08-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Ive been to Turus a couple times. There is a few places around the lake. Didnt have a boat when i was there but there was a tonne of fish jumping. I actually quite liked the place.
I wasnt really hunting either of the times i was there, so i cant coment on that. We were just touring and looking for the incidental bird.

monasheemountainman
08-17-2012, 01:58 PM
pick one, millions of spots around! I personally really like taurus lake, but watchout for the beaverdely hillbillies!!! they come out at night like the hills have eyes!!!

Moosehunter64
08-18-2012, 01:24 PM
I have hunted the far end of 8-14 around damn fino creek and there is a very nice camp site there.There is also nevertouch lake but there was a forest fire there a number of years ago so the lake is wide open and not a lot of trees around the old campsite but it is open to camping.Lots of logging been happening this area the last few years so lots of area to hunt. What kind of antlerless draw do you have?? Must be Elk.

Moosehunter64
08-18-2012, 01:33 PM
My bad I looked it up you must have one of the few Mule deer doe draws.You won`t have any trouble filling that. Good luck might see you there.

chappy
08-18-2012, 01:38 PM
find a nice meadow where you want to hunt and set up camp. don't need a rec site or camp ground.

sapper
08-20-2012, 02:43 PM
I've not camped in the area but Jewel Lake Resort have rustic hunting cabins at a good price. We've stayed there and used it as a base. It is is in 8-14 and they are hunter friendly with place for hanging deer. They also have campsites available. The place is owned by a former NHL'er and his wife. I forget his name.
Good luck with your hunt.

yota
08-20-2012, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=835;1190768] Didnt have a boat when i was there but there was a tonne of fish jumping. QUOTE]

My family has hunted that area long before i was even born its a nice area we used to be up the taurus lake area for thanksgiving every year and we always saw lots of mullies and theres lots of little pan fry trout there around 10''-12''. Good luck though where ever you choose you wont need much theres tons of does around.

scoutlt1
08-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Stayed at a lake in that area years ago....Pete's Lake? If I remember right it was a nice little spot to camp. Lots of small fish in there as well and we saw a lot of deer too.