PDA

View Full Version : How does your hunting party split the meat

rides bike to work
08-17-2012, 01:16 PM
How does your hunting party split the meat

I only hunt with a group of 4 we split the cost of gas food and butcher and split any meat taken on the hunt as well each person reserves the tight to refuse meat ( if some already has lots of deer he might refuse and his share gets split)

We talk about these things thoroughly before the trip
Things get confusing when one person leaves a day early
We still cut him in as he spent time andover on the hunt

I have a friend that got a group moose leh 3 guys 2 moose one guy couldn't make the hunt at all he's out the second guy went up 2 days early and shot a nice big moose with his dad . The third guy showed up and hunted with the other guy and dad for 5 more days but didn't get a moose but did get a small white tail buck the father son refused the white tail meat but never offered any moose to the guy who shot the white tail. The father son are from a large family of hunters with many deepfreezers full of meat they probably didn't need all that moose.

These guys have hunted together for alot of years but this one discrepancy has made things weird

I have no problem sharing my meat as I hate to see it freezer burned even though that never happens cause I eat it all no problem its just funny how people have trouble sharing.

How do share your meat.

08-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Yep, Some guys you just dont go back hunting with. They may see it as right some how. That is fine, done is done but that dont mean you have to do it again!
I am kinda tired of running through partners. I have one good hunting partner and then my dads group. As the years go by im thinking of going back with dad.

Everything get split, everything. I dont care if a guy has to go home early or whatever. These guys should be your friends and you should treat them like it and they you..
some people just dont get it though.

MB_Boy
08-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Equal splits among everyone......the whole "mine, mine, mine" philosophy does NOT work in our group. All costs are shared....all work around camp is shared.....effort is shared in putting an animal down.....thus meat gets shared.

Here's an example.....when I go to MB hunting whiteys with my Dad and two old family friends, a couple of the gents are a bit older and aren't as mobile as myself or my Dad. Quite often in some areas we will push bush if the deer aren't moving, the less mobile guys more often than not are the shooters with the other 2 of us slugging it out in the push. Ya once in a while my Dad or I may get a crack at a deer but generally it's the guys on the other end. I could not imagine any of us being on that "other end" laying claim to the deer calling it "theirs" and not splitting out the meat.

swamper
08-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Pretty much everyone I hunt with is an even split. If you hunting with a new group, or have a new person join your group, you have to set the ground rules before the hunt even gets started. That way either everyone is on the same page, or you drop the one that wants "his moose or deer" all to themselves. JMHO

08-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Equal splits among everyone......the whole "mine, mine, mine" philosophy does NOT work in our group. All costs are shared....all work around camp is shared.....effort is shared in putting an animal down.....thus meat gets shared.

Here's an example.....when I go to MB hunting whiteys with my Dad and two old family friends, a couple of the gents are a bit older and aren't as mobile as myself or my Dad. Quite often in some areas we will push bush if the deer aren't moving, the less mobile guys more often than not are the shooters with the other 2 of us slugging it out in the push. Ya once in a while my Dad or I may get a crack at a deer but generally it's the guys on the other end. I could not imagine any of us being on that "other end" laying claim to the deer calling it "theirs" and not splitting out the meat.

Thats the thing MB,
your old timers get the good seats because they probably did alot for you in your youth, directly or in directly.
Family is family and friends are friends.

It was how i was brought up, and unfortunatly i have been through a few off handed partners. Life is good when there is a blend, and you dont even think about this. Dont need to talk it over.

bighornbob
08-17-2012, 01:58 PM
The guy that got the whitetail was not even there when the moose was shot So if it was me I would not expect any moose. The guy and his dad (who shot the moose) even stayed and helped the other guy for 5 days so its not like they got their moose and buggered off.

On the other hand, I guess they are not that good of partners if the moose guys did not offer any meat to the whitetail guy. I know guys that drop off half their animal to their partners house regardless if their partner was even out (good partners).

BHB

trapperRick
08-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Equal splits among everyone......the whole "mine, mine, mine" philosophy does NOT work in our group. All costs are shared....all work around camp is shared.....effort is shared in putting an animal down.....thus meat gets shared. Those that don't comply are never invited back

Downwind
08-17-2012, 02:12 PM
The guy that got the whitetail was not even there when the moose was shot So if it was me I would not expect any moose. The guy and his dad (who shot the moose) even stayed and helped the other guy for 5 days so its not like they got their moose and buggered off.

On the other hand, I guess they are not that good of partners if the moose guys did not offer any meat to the whitetail guy. I know guys that drop off half their animal to their partners house regardless if their partner was even out (good partners).

BHB

He wasn't there but it was a group hunt tag though, not just their moose, just because they went up early. They stuck around hoping to get a second moose (at least sounds like it to me). That is some pretty low sh*t. I know I wouldn't be hunting with those guys anymore. Like everyone has said, equal shares; everything gets divided.
I hunt with mostly family so these principles are stuck to, although family can get on your nerves from time to time lol. But like Swamper said; lay out the rules beforehand for anyone new to the group.

Liptugger
08-17-2012, 02:34 PM
excellent thread, good to see so meny with the same attitude.

Paulyman
08-17-2012, 02:42 PM
What do you guys do when there are 4 people authorized for the leh and then a buddy not part of the leh decides to come as well for an open season hunt, do you include them in on the split? he is a friend of mine, not the other 3 authorized in the leh.

tomahawk
08-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Equal splits among everyone......the whole "mine, mine, mine" philosophy does NOT work in our group. All costs are shared....all work around camp is shared.....effort is shared in putting an animal down.....thus meat gets shared. Those that don't comply are never invited back

Says it all right there, except those that dont comply would never get asked to come in the first place!

tomahawk
08-17-2012, 02:46 PM
What do you guys do when there are 4 people authorized for the leh and then a buddy not part of the leh decides to come as well for an open season hunt, do you include them in on the split? he is a friend of mine, not the other 3 authorized in the leh.

He would be on his own for meat as he is an after thought and not part of the original hunting group, only the 4 who applied as a hunting group would be sharing.

08-17-2012, 02:46 PM
If he is there he pays and you split.
people seem to make so much bloody politics outa a huntin' trip. That is how the trouble starts. If your buddy is coming on the trip he is part of the group. Just like if you pulled an Elk draw and had a couple guys to help. You dont go home with the whole elk do you?

08-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Says it all right there, except those that dont comply would never get asked to come in the first place!

He would be on his own for meat as he is an after thought and not part of the original hunting group, only the 4 who applied as a hunting group would be sharing.

im confused.

bigslim
08-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Meat split equally. On ferry ride back home all reciepts submitted, added up and divided equally. No reciept sh$T out of luck.

BearStump
08-17-2012, 03:27 PM
If he is there he pays and you split.
people seem to make so much bloody politics outa a huntin' trip. That is how the trouble starts. If your buddy is coming on the trip he is part of the group. Just like if you pulled an Elk draw and had a couple guys to help. You dont go home with the whole elk do you?

I disagree with that one. If I put in for 7 yrs and finally get my moose draw, then my partner brings his buddy that I dont even know in hopes that he can tag a deer while hunting with us, hes not getting my moose.

we usually discuss it before the hunt though with all that will be there. avoid any problems after. typically we keep our own deer if we shoot one. and we'll split up any large animals like moose or elk with the guys that were in on the draw.

08-17-2012, 03:57 PM
I disagree with that one. If I put in for 7 yrs and finally get my moose draw, then my partner brings his buddy that I dont even know in hopes that he can tag a deer while hunting with us, hes not getting my moose.

we usually discuss it before the hunt though with all that will be there. avoid any problems after. typically we keep our own deer if we shoot one. and we'll split up any large animals like moose or elk with the guys that were in on the draw.

well im sure we can make a situation for every thing.
but we dont just have new people out. They are usually friends that we have talked about And in my case they get split. because i have invited them.

any way what ever your plan is the biggest thing to do is be clear about your intentions, im sure we can all aggree on that. Bearstumps way is Bearstumps way and as long as you know what to expect im sure it will work just fine

coglark
08-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Sounds like they went up first to get a moose and not share..pretty low. There would be no more hunting with them for me. Paulyman, maybe split your portion with your buddy... Next year put in with the group(what do they say about it?)

dingdongdenny
08-17-2012, 05:17 PM
my buddy and i start off we each through in $200, when thats gone
(usually after the ferry),we through in anouther $200. its equall spilts.

Everett
08-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Our way of doing it is everyone keeps there own deer no splitting deer. With Elk and Moose the shooter keeps half and the rest is split between those that were in the hunting camp. This works for us though I always get the short end of the stick because I always seem to be the guy that does all the shooting but my main hunting partner is one of my oldest friends and I usauly give him something even on years he can't hunt. Personaly I have never taken any meat from any hunting partner as I can fill my freezer with very little effort.

Darksith
08-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Right down the middle just like every other expense and reward

trebreklaw
08-17-2012, 06:14 PM
After 40 years its always discussed before the hunt and usually allows for someone coming late or leaving early as long as they contribute an equal share of expenses.
My bitch is that sharing trip expenses is only part of the true cost. The capital cost of jet boat , truck etc is significant and should be taken into account.
I have gone thru about 10 partners in the years because they do not .
If I live long enough maybey I will find one that has something like a decent truck or even a boat!!!!

Sorry for the rant!!!!

Paulyman
08-17-2012, 06:43 PM
That's exactly what I decided to do, he's a good friend of mine and how much I value hunting with him greatly surpasses a bit of moose meat, he offered to split and immy bull he might bag on the trip, so it's a good deal for both of us.

Sounds like they went up first to get a moose and not share..pretty low. There would be no more hunting with them for me. Paulyman, maybe split your portion with your buddy... Next year put in with the group(what do they say about it?)

Phreddy
08-17-2012, 07:56 PM
I always split evenly with whomever I'm hunting as they help with the dressing, packing, hanging, skinning, etc. That's one of the things we all understand right up front before we even leave home. The only exception I make to that rule is if someone shows up uninvited by the group, and just "happened along" because he knew one of the group, they're on their own.

Phreddy
08-17-2012, 07:59 PM
I always split evenly with whomever I'm hunting as they help with the dressing, packing, hanging, skinning, etc. That's one of the things we all understand right up front before we even leave home. The only exception is when someone just shows up, uninvited by the group as a whole, he's on his own.

bandit
08-17-2012, 09:27 PM
My bitch is that sharing trip expenses is only part of the true cost. The capital cost of jet boat , truck etc is significant and should be taken into account.
I have gone thru about 10 partners in the years because they do not .
If I live long enough maybey I will find one that has something like a decent truck or even a boat!!!!

I hear ya! A couple of guys I used to hunt with didnt have trucks definitely took for granted that I drove every time we hunted. Wouldnt offer to pay gas on short trips when I didnt actually stop at the gas station. Funny I dont recall them paying for services or repairs on the transmission which was definitely a hunting related injury!

Like I said, used to hunt with...

Gateholio
08-17-2012, 10:01 PM
If someone helps pack out the meat, then they deserve to at least get asked if they want any. Meat distribution has never really been an issue with my hunting partners. It always seems clear when to offer a cut of the meat and when it's just a little bit of help that doesn't warrant meat splitting.

hunted once with a friend who had just stated hunting. I told him "I already shot a buck this year, so if I kill one, I'll give you half" He said "I think that if we should just keep our own deer, I plan on shooting a buck and I figure I will keep it all, so you do the same" I said okay, whatever. ...

I shot a buck, he didn't. :) I could tell that he wanted to ask me to split it, and I would have, but his ego wouldn't let him. :)

dabber
08-17-2012, 10:09 PM
We share all costs other than alcohol, as some people don't drink.I think that part of hunting is being able to share good times and memories and if that is not what people in your group are about then they should hunt on there own.Hunting is all about learning and sharing, I think that is why I enjoy it so much.

Ltbullken
08-17-2012, 11:04 PM
When it comes to moose, we split it. When it comes to deer, we help each other get it out but neither of us want any of the deer from the other!

bc sportsman
08-17-2012, 11:44 PM
We are beginning to have similar challenges in our group (now 5). One guy who has hunted with us for four years now wants to leave 4-5 days early so that he can go fishing some 300 miles away. He has indicated that this will be an ongoing occurrence rather than a one off. Problem is, we started this group with everyone knowing it was a 14 day trip. Now its 10 days for one person. A new 5th person has been invited into our group...great guy and we are looking forward to hunting with him. Unfortunately, through some miscommunication, he believed it would be ok to come for only 9 days and we didn't find out that he had been told this till recently. That leaves half the group gone for the last third of the trip.

What my son and I have found is that the guys who are left at camp experience a 'downer', lose some of the enthusiasm to hunt....go out later in the day or don't stay out as long, sit around camp more etc. And the guys that are left have to break camp etc...often not a little chore since we have a great setup. If it was only a one-off (fishing trip of a lifetime) or a one time family/work emergency, then there would not be a problem re any of this. However, since this is likely to continue in future years, you can expect that there will be some stress coming out over time.

My personal view is that, except for one-offs, the guys on the hunt are part of a team. If you are not in the bush with us (ie. you left to go home or hunt/fish with others), not contributing to the effort whether doing things around camp, hunting or packing out the meat, then you are no longer part of the team. When you are part of the team, you share in all meat regardless of who got it. You also share in all costs while your part of the team. Once you leave, you don't share in the game and neither do you pay any expenses incurred after you left (gas).

I hope this encourages the guys we hunt with to stay for the entire period (at least give or take a day). It also provides us with an opportunity to find another hunter or two who will come for the second half of our trip. The excitement from someone come in half way thru the hunt would revitalize those who are staying behind for the entire two weeks. And the guys coming in for the second half get to share in whatever is harvested while they are there.

What happens if one person stays behind by themselves to hunt after everyone leaves and they get a moose, dress it out, haul it out all by themselves, skin it, break camp by themselves, drive back by themselves? This guy may not be too happy sharing his moose with the other 4 guys especially if the group got skunked or only got one moose before they went home.

If there is no consequence to leaving half way or a two thirds of the way thru a trip, especially on an ongoing basis, then it just encourages more leaving early or coming late and expecting to reap the benefits of the full stay. This will create resentment over time. This sort of an arrangement encourages the guys we hunt with to stay longer, makes it easier to find a new team member or two for the second half of the trip. This sort of arrangement gives those who want to leave early/come late flexibility to do so and keep hunting with us.

Just my thoughts...any comments?

blackbart
08-17-2012, 11:45 PM
We even split the antlers. Not bad if there is just two of us, you cut the skull in half and call her good. Gets a bit trickier with three, but we figure it out.

bc sportsman
08-17-2012, 11:48 PM
No way blackbart:smile:...you should only get a piece of the antlers if you were around at the time.

Gateholio
08-18-2012, 12:54 AM
We are beginning to have similar challenges in our group (now 5). One guy who has hunted with us for four years now wants to leave 4-5 days early so that he can go fishing some 300 miles away. He has indicated that this will be an ongoing occurrence rather than a one off. Problem is, we started this group with everyone knowing it was a 14 day trip. Now its 10 days for one person. A new 5th person has been invited into our group...great guy and we are looking forward to hunting with him. Unfortunately, through some miscommunication, he believed it would be ok to come for only 9 days and we didn't find out that he had been told this till recently. That leaves half the group gone for the last third of the trip.

What my son and I have found is that the guys who are left at camp experience a 'downer', lose some of the enthusiasm to hunt....go out later in the day or don't stay out as long, sit around camp more etc. And the guys that are left have to break camp etc...often not a little chore since we have a great setup. If it was only a one-off (fishing trip of a lifetime) or a one time family/work emergency, then there would not be a problem re any of this. However, since this is likely to continue in future years, you can expect that there will be some stress coming out over time.

My personal view is that, except for one-offs, the guys on the hunt are part of a team. If you are not in the bush with us (ie. you left to go home or hunt/fish with others), not contributing to the effort whether doing things around camp, hunting or packing out the meat, then you are no longer part of the team. When you are part of the team, you share in all meat regardless of who got it. You also share in all costs while your part of the team. Once you leave, you don't share in the game and neither do you pay any expenses incurred after you left (gas).

I hope this encourages the guys we hunt with to stay for the entire period (at least give or take a day). It also provides us with an opportunity to find another hunter or two who will come for the second half of our trip. The excitement from someone come in half way thru the hunt would revitalize those who are staying behind for the entire two weeks. And the guys coming in for the second half get to share in whatever is harvested while they are there.

What happens if one person stays behind by themselves to hunt after everyone leaves and they get a moose, dress it out, haul it out all by themselves, skin it, break camp by themselves, drive back by themselves? This guy may not be too happy sharing his moose with the other 4 guys especially if the group got skunked or only got one moose before they went home.

If there is no consequence to leaving half way or a two thirds of the way thru a trip, especially on an ongoing basis, then it just encourages more leaving early or coming late and expecting to reap the benefits of the full stay. This will create resentment over time. This sort of an arrangement encourages the guys we hunt with to stay longer, makes it easier to find a new team member or two for the second half of the trip. This sort of arrangement gives those who want to leave early/come late flexibility to do so and keep hunting with us.

Just my thoughts...any comments?

2 issues I see.

One is easy....If buddy leaves camp early, then he shouldn't expect a delivery of meat to his door if the moose was shot after he left and he had no part in dealing with the work

Number two - Buddy leaves camp a few days early to avoid cleaning up. IN this case, I'd tell buddy that he should clean up any of his own mess and take any camp garbage form that point home with him.

This stuff really doesn't need to be so complicated.

hunter1947
08-18-2012, 03:03 AM
When I hunt with some one and I or the other person shoot a big game animal ,elk or moose bison etc we split the animal 50% or I will not hunt with he or her bottom line..

If 4 are involved in the hunting party a big game animal elk ,moose bison is shoot from one of the four people in the hunting party then the animal is divided between the four of the hunting party.

When deer are shot when in my hunting camp they who shot the deer keep it to them selfs the deer is a smaller game animal and wont go to far between 4 people if only the one deer was shot on the hunting trip so thats the way we work it.

One thing that is not right is if say me I see lots of smaller bucks and I let them walk holding out for Mr big it is not fair that I get some of the deer that the other hunter shot in our party reason being is they are meat hunters and they shoot the first legal buck deer or doe that they see.

I or others in the hunting party might not want to shoot smaller deer so this is why the deer shot by another member of the hunting party keep what they shoot plain and simple.

tomahawk
08-18-2012, 06:29 AM
im confused.

In the first case it is all my regular partners that each and every year i hunt with, been together since 1977 and added guys throughout the years. These are the same guys that come year after year and we all sit down together and plan our leh's and then if lucky enough to get an leh we go out together.

The second case was where a guy decides afterwards to come along on the hunt but is not part of the lehs or the regular crew. He is coming to hunt in GOS and not a participant in the leh group, just tagging along. To be honest we wouldnt likely ever have this happen cause the regular leh group is enough and we dont need any extra guys. Tough to explain.

Hope thats clearer!

doubled
08-18-2012, 07:59 AM
If we are going for moose or elk, then it is split evenly between the members. If somebody gets a deer on the same trip, it is theirs as the others are not too concerned about deer. Our group hunts a fair amount locally so deer is never an issue.

Once I have my shop built with the cooler, there will be a beer charge to bring that animal through the doors. :evil:

bearhunter338-06
08-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Everyone gets an even split.

Trophyslayer
08-18-2012, 08:36 AM
We split everything meat fuel food only thing we don't is booze BYOB.

This year we are going elk and goat hunting to I spot that I have found and hunted before but now 2 guys that are new to the group decided after we set the dates for the hunt to go up 3 days early. The other 5 in the group are not to pleased with the others decision I don't know how we are going to split everything especially if the get an elk before we get to camp.

RoscoeP
08-18-2012, 08:41 AM
We have one guy in our group that won't buy a moose tag, we also hunt mullies and whitetails. So I figure if we get a moose he is not getting any,(or maybe a small portion for help packing out etc) It's like the office lottery pool, you can't expect to get part of the million if you are not in the lottery pool. I spelled it out to him. Cheers

Hillbros_96
08-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Me and my buddy were odd ducks, we hunted together and even would argue who would shoot the animal, then we would do all the work together and then keep the meat for ourselves. We also would help each other out whenwe shot something and the other could not be there. I left my wife several times at dark to go track an animal my buddy shot.

Either way we did all the hard work together. We lost a good set of partners when his son decided he wanted to have specific size of animal for his first one. I put him in front of many animals, but he would not shoot them as they were not big enough. He was really upset when I had his sister with me and she shot a big deer. I definitely do not have time for the jealousy. Although I had a blast taking the young ones out to shoot their first animal, definitely worked them hard, but it was worth it to see their excitement when they shot their first animal.

Benthos
08-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Moose is shared, deer is not. Seems only fair given the large amount of work involved with a moose

Caveman
08-18-2012, 09:32 AM
We always split the meat equally between the camp. The only time it came up as a discussion is when one of the guys had to leave early due to work commitments. He was there to help retrieve one or two of the three we got before he left. He did his part in camp, so I had no issues giving him his share when we split the three six ways. A couple others felt slightly different but it didn't take that much to change their minds.

deer nut
08-18-2012, 10:04 AM
I hunt with one other guy. Costs and bounty split equally, unless we both get an animal, then we each take our own.

08-18-2012, 10:09 AM
We hold an Indian Leg Wrestling tournament...winner takes all.

bc sportsman
08-18-2012, 10:12 AM
What Gatehouse said...simpler than my long rant.

"2 issues I see.

One is easy....If buddy leaves camp early, then he shouldn't expect a delivery of meat to his door if the moose was shot after he left and he had no part in dealing with the work

Number two - Buddy leaves camp a few days early to avoid cleaning up. IN this case, I'd tell buddy that he should clean up any of his own mess and take any camp garbage form that point home with him.

This stuff really doesn't need to be so complicated."

sneg
09-03-2012, 07:57 PM
I hear ya! A couple of guys I used to hunt with didnt have trucks definitely took for granted that I drove every time we hunted. Wouldnt offer to pay gas on short trips when I didnt actually stop at the gas station. Funny I dont recall them paying for services or repairs on the transmission which was definitely a hunting related injury!

Like I said, used to hunt with...

we have agreed on ammortization cost for trucks,campers,trailers,atv and etc.this is in addition to cost of gas. so guy who puts forward his gear get compensated. amazingly every one in our group owns truck,trailer,camper,boat and etc...all consumables and any meat get shared equal to time in the bush

ianwuzhere
09-03-2012, 08:13 PM
i cut up my own meat. We always get our own animals so everyone gets their own whole animal. if someone i hunt with doesnt get any animals ill give them some of mine, but every year i get at least one animal so i never want anyone elses meat, and theres always enuf to go around, but i dont hunt with huge crowds who only go out on the odd weekend..

hunter1993ap
09-03-2012, 08:59 PM
i normally split it down the middle for bigger animals but deer we do not split. i had an idea of the shooter getting 3/4 and the helper gets a quarter but that was just an idea. it would give the shooter just a slight bit more feeling of accomplishment plus the helper gets to share the glory as well.