PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hubba Hubba 2 person

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
08-15-2012, 09:27 PM
So i broke down and bought the tent in Alberta this summer. First i ask for the HP model and i was told they only have it Europe . So i got the Tent and the Exped Downmat 9 LW .. Long and Wide . which was the best thing to do ! if your 200 plus and over 6 feet , thats the model to get . you wont regret it . .Ok so back to the Hubba Hubba .. At first i thought id bought a tent that wasnt going to suit my 3 season needs and the first night it started to rain !. and it rained for three nights long !. The tent worked great !. rain slide off and the airflow was more than enough to keep it dry inside. I was warm and comfty.. the Exped mat is the best 250 i ever spend .. it only took 5 min to blow it up. and the Tent took less time to set up . very easy to use and strong poles. . They only thing i hated was the pegs !. total garbage !. i went back and bought the Larger ones . they were cheap and worth it . I also bought the Large thermo rest pillow . .Junk !. dont buy it . Im going to get the pillow stuf sack instead . im sure it will be much better. Also i bought a nice little tent lamp , which i cant find a the moment !. lol , i guess over all im happy with the tent . But i would love a four season next . like a hilliberg. The Exped Mat im very Happy with !. So thats my report for now !.

scottwh
08-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Huh... Thanx for the input as I am in the market for a new tent and was actually thinking of that exact one :)

Merch
08-15-2012, 11:35 PM
I've had a hubba hubba for 5-6 years now, actually on my second one. The first one had a problem with the rain coating "melting" as they described it. Long story short, make sure its 100% dry before you store it or you may have an issue. The first one I had ended up having issues after 4 years of use and it was replaced no questions asked.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
08-16-2012, 04:41 PM
What do you mean MELTING ? .lol. And of course dry would be the best . But sometimes it doesnt happen . And i bought a Black Diamond tent light . Nice little light . A good head lamp would probly be better tho . Anyway . I would like to add. that the vestiblues are a bit small and its a chore to get in and out when your a bigger dude . And theres not much room for a lot of gear to stay undercover. Also . unless you and your partner are Midgets . theres just enough room for one person . So it makes a Great one person tent . i also got the footprint . it was cheap . so might as well get it . if it saves a headache later . Cant think of anything else today . but if i do . i keep you all posted .

Merch
08-16-2012, 07:48 PM
They said that any moisture on the fly can cause the waterproof coating to "melt". I didnt use the tent for a year and when I took it out the fly was sticky and the waterproof coating was coming off. They said the new flys have an improved fabric and coating to prevent this.

If your looking for more room check this out.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Tents/TentAccessories/PRD~5024-486/msr-gear-shed-vestibule.jsp

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
08-16-2012, 08:46 PM
ohh ok.. sounds good .!.

Singleshotneeded
08-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Isn't Mountain Equipment Coop anti-hunting?

Bistchen
08-16-2012, 10:35 PM
I generally like my MSR hubba hubba tent. But I bring a small light 7'x7' tarp to put underneath it. It is a very light and therefore sensitive tent and may rip easily. Especially the floor. With the tarp underneath it, it stays dry and stands up to the abuse of whatever type of ground you are sleeping on.

They do keep you dry. There are better lighter pack tents out there now. But if you can find it on sale like it did, its worth the price you pay. Don't expect it to last forever, but if you take care of it, and always pack it away when dry. It should last you several years of good use.

^ Some MEC employees are anti-hunting, some are pro hunting.Depends on the employee you get I guess. I don't go to MEC too often but only had one bad experience with a sales rep regarding hunting.

RiverOtter
08-17-2012, 03:47 AM
Isn't Mountain Equipment Coop anti-hunting?

If they don't financially support organizations that are anti-hunting, I could care less what there personal stance on hunting is.

RiverOtter
08-17-2012, 03:51 AM
They said that any moisture on the fly can cause the waterproof coating to "melt". I didnt use the tent for a year and when I took it out the fly was sticky and the waterproof coating was coming off. They said the new flys have an improved fabric and coating to prevent this.

The problem doesn't lie in packing the tent up wet/damp, as that is inevitable, it is when you store it that way for extended periods. Have seen it before with different tent makers as well.

08-21-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm with river otter. I just won't buy from them. They do support anti-hunting and I'm pretty sure some of that membership fee is part of it.

I am on my second mutha bubba and I haven't had any problems at all. It seems the new version with the improved tent pole design is better than the first.

mountainman
09-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Picked up the Hubba Hubba on sale for a trip up the mountain. 2 guys plenty of room easy setup and dry. Got it on sale and am happy with it.

seanps
09-26-2012, 11:42 PM
I have the Hubba Hubba. Love it. I've used it for two-person backpacking trips, car-camping with my wife and solo hunts with the dog. Sets up in no time.

ALSO. I posted this last year in a thread about MEC. Thought it was worth re-posting.

I don't think it's fair or reasonable to call MEC "anti-hunting" by virtue of the fact that the cooperative funds *some* groups that advocate against *some* hunting. Glancing through the list there are also programs for building trails, introducing kids to wetlands and protecting whales. (If you're a whale hunter, my apologies). Few outdoor stores do this.
If, however, your criteria is that a company is anti-hunting because, say, it supports the David Suzuki Foundation, you should also be trash-talking and boycotting: Indigo/Chapters, Futureshop, IBM, Royal Bank, and Jim Pattison's company, which includes hundreds of car dealerships, Save on Foods and Buy-Low.
For those of you saying you should go in to MEC and tell the employees that you're anti-hunting, I'd love to see you go into Royal Bank and tell them that you're closing your account because you're a hunter.

BiG Boar
09-27-2012, 07:46 AM
The David Suzuki Foundation's CEO is Peter Robinson, formerly the head of Mountain Equipment Co-op (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Equipment_Co-op)

Sorry to further derail the thread. I have a hubba hubba and also love it.