PDA

View Full Version : Spot or EPIRB

Shooter
08-15-2012, 08:43 PM
So I was talking with a SAR tech today and the subject of SPOT came up. I asked him what he thought of it and he said that for his money he carries an EPIRB. He seemed to think that the SARSAT satellites were more reliable for rescue services and they make the job easier for the SAR techs coming to look for you. Plus they have no subscription fees.

The downfall to them is they have a shelf life (from what I understand) of about 6 years before they need to be replaced due to their internal battery. That and they are strictly for rescue purposes not for communication of any other form.

Anyone carry an EPIRB here?

http://www.pridemarine.com/index.cfm?category=10014|10259&product=11196105&code=791659002773

Shooter
08-15-2012, 08:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC2qN6xaxvs&playnext=1&list=PLF208E9C6DFA62B0C&feature=results_video

Watch from about 3 minutes in.

BlacktailStalker
08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
No problems with my spot. Nice being able to follow along at home (for family) and daily updates are a sigh of relief for them as well on solo hunts.
Its nice going back and seeing for yourself exactly where you were any time you decide to send an update.

Shooter
08-15-2012, 09:07 PM
No problems with my spot. Nice being able to follow along at home (for family) and daily updates are a sigh of relief for them as well on solo hunts.
Its nice going back and seeing for yourself exactly where you were any time you decide to send an update.

I get that. But I guess the thing is... If I decide to get one then the main reason would be for that situation that you may need help to survive. If that is the main reason to carry one then is the spot the best choice? Check out the video clip that I posted. Is that just an attempt at marketing or is there truth to it?

WaderGator
08-15-2012, 09:07 PM
always have one aboard the tug but I dont have a personal one. If i were in the market for something like that I would probably get an EPIRB. Ive heard of SPOT having big delays in delivering messages

emerson
08-16-2012, 04:51 AM
I've got an EPIRB because if I need it, I need it to work.
Globalstar sat phones are $500 plus plan if you need to
talk.

gizmo_85
08-16-2012, 07:59 AM
I have a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon ) aka EPIRB as the spot is great for the communication but it has limitation for example thick tree cover the signal will not get out and or sat delay. I've done tests and i've seen a 45 minute delay for a message to get out from a spot. no worries in non-emergency.
But in PLB has a 5 watt signal to penetrate the trees and doesn't rely on the GPS system tell SAR where you as are well it has as a ~1 watt locator beacon signal transmitting on 121.500 for planes to locate you. SPOT doesn't have this feature.
PLB is for emergency if needed I know it will work and the batteries are replaceable by a service rep.

SPot is great to let love ones know where you are and if you need assistance for non-emergency.. (aka need a tow truck).. :D

Greg.

08-16-2012, 08:11 AM
I dont cary either, but being i've spent my life on the water i can kinda see where the guy is coming from. Emergancy, Position, Idicating, Radio, Becon's have been around forever. I would think their Sat system is well Developed.

Though the Comm ability of the spot is quite appealing...

Sitkaspruce
08-16-2012, 08:56 AM
For the work boat, we carry the EPIRB for emergencies and the SPOT for basic comms where our radio does not work, plus we use for emergencies as well, so we have two systems for coverage.

I carry the SPOT for personal use and use it for both hunting and fishing. I have not had any problems with delayed messages so far....

For me, the SPOT works so far.

Cheers

SS

Ron.C
08-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Never had any issue with my SPOT,

During my solo Backpack Griz hunt this spring, It was on 24/7 sending position updates to my homepage. I see no reason why it wouldn't transmit my 911 emergency message "hope I never really need it for that" just as effectively as it does my ok messages or personal tracking updates.

Shooter
08-16-2012, 09:17 AM
I could see using both.